Backhand and forehand rubber recommendations for 1.5 year beginner

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Hi everybody,

As the title states I am a beginner and have been playing for a little over a year and a half. I primarily play at work for about 1 hour (during breaks, lunches, and after work) and occasionally go to my local ping pong house with friends to play longer sessions.

One of my buddies sold me his semi old Ma Lin offensive paddle and it had mark V rubbers on both sides and honestly they have been great but the rubbers on the edges have widdled away and I'm sure the rubber isn't as good as it was when it was brand new so I am looking to change out the rubbers. I am not sure of the thickness or the pip length either.

My play style is offensive for the most part and I tend to use my BH for most of my rallies and end with a FH if i get an opportunity or if it is out of reach for my BH. I start all my serves with a BH aswell.

I would love your guy's feedback on what would be a good starting BH and FH rubber to use so I may start to tailor more of my playstyle towards each side of the paddle instead of just using both sides for everything. I would like to keep each rubber under $50 as that is my budget.

Please let me know if there are any other details you would like to know about my playstyle that i didn't include (mainly cause I don't know what info is useful to yall) and I will provide it asap.

Thanks guys!

Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Your old Mark V was probably MAX because Yasaka Malin Extra Offensive + 2xMark V (Max) is a popular $99.95 combo.

If you want to move up in speed, Xiom Vega Intro is pretty controllable although the upgrade in speed is more than the upgrade in spin which can make it a little harder to lift the ball off the net if you come from Mark V. I'm not that much of a fan of this rubber though. It just feels weird.

If you want to get into the realm of real tensor, the softer ones tend to be slower and works well as a backhand rubber.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Vega Intro is on a hard sponge, so most people use it on their FH because they can hit harder.

I use it on my BH to compensate for the lack of power I can generate when compared to my FH which I use Mark V.

Right now I'm not using this setup though because I'm probably switching to cheap Chinese rubber.

Would the Vega be for he BH or FH? I am looking to have 2 types of rubbers specifically focused on each end of the paddle.

There is no such thing as a rubber for BH or FH. Some people use one rubber for FH, some use it for BH, some use it for both. Only you know what you like better.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yourik, if you do not know how your FH and BH need something specifically different, then it is usually better to have the same rubber on both sides.

If you knew something like, your FH has more power and works better with a slightly harder rubber and your BH is good but not as powerful and works better with a slightly softer rubber, then knowing how the two sides are different would help you know what you should get for each side. But if you don't know how they are different and you arbitrarily get different rubbers for the two sides, you can sort of mess up the development of one of the strokes.

Reactions: MohdHafiz
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
Seems straightforwards enough.
Get a new markVs ?

This user has no status.
Maybe you could try rakza 7 for BH and a Chinese rubber like 729 es or H3 for FH...

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 4 mediante Tapatalk

I agree with LEP. Try DHS Hurricane 3 or Friendship 729-08 ES on FH. Try Yasaka Rakza 7 Soft on BH. Nittaku Fastarc S-1 is another good BH choice (light, dynamic, plenty of spin and speed).

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
This thread has tailspun into the usual "this modern rubber is great and does this, just get it"...

A newer player will do well with middle of the road allround modern rubbers. Every company makes one or three of those.

The suggestion of Vega is good and it is not so pricy a rubber. XP2008 could do as well and it is 1/10 the price of a Tenergy. Choices abound, it really isn't al that complicated... but these threads seem to really make it look that way.

I get it that a new player is not familiar with all the companies and all their products, so they ask on a forum looking for answers... but golly damn, these threads pops up every two months and just about every one of them ends the same.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
This thread has tailspun into the usual "this modern rubber is great and does this, just get it"...

A newer player will do well with middle of the road allround modern rubbers. Every company makes one or three of those.

The suggestion of Vega is good and it is not so pricy a rubber. XP2008 could do as well and it is 1/10 the price of a Tenergy. Choices abound, it really isn't al that complicated... but these threads seem to really make it look that way.

I get it that a new player is not familiar with all the companies and all their products, so they ask on a forum looking for answers... but golly damn, these threads pops up every two months and just about every one of them ends the same.

These threads pop up 4-5 times a week. :)

And you get a lot of random recommendations that don't even seem to take into account what the OP plays like. His level. Or what he was using before.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Apr 2019
Can I salvage a few answers from this?
How long will xiom vega intro last on a side?
I hear mark v lasts forever.
I'd just get new mark v on both sides if I was you. Shame it's pricey. I think I'll try Coppa, but mark v would be new to me, too

[...]
As the title states I am a beginner and have been playing for a little over a year and a half. I primarily play at work for about 1 hour (during breaks, lunches, and after work) and occasionally go to my local ping pong house with friends to play longer sessions.
[...]
My play style is offensive for the most part and I tend to use my BH for most of my rallies and end with a FH if i get an opportunity or if it is out of reach for my BH. I start all my serves with a BH aswell.[...]
To be honest, this sounds to me like the usual playstyle one develops without having proper training and lacking a lot of fundamentals like stance, position and distance to the table and so on. Let me guess, if you are right handed, your right foot is near to the table and your toes are facing towards the table. A lot of people start to play BH because it is easier and more secure than FH. The stroke is much shorter and you have your whole body behind the ball. Given that information, this is really bothering me:

If you want to move up in speed, Xiom Vega Intro is pretty controllable although the upgrade in speed is more than the upgrade in spin which can make it a little harder to lift the ball off the net if you come from Mark V. I'm not that much of a fan of this rubber though. It just feels weird.

If you want to get into the realm of real tensor, the softer ones tend to be slower and works well as a backhand rubber.

Maybe you could try rakza 7 for BH and a Chinese rubber like 729 es or H3 for FH...

I agree with LEP. Try DHS Hurricane 3 or Friendship 729-08 ES on FH. Try Yasaka Rakza 7 Soft on BH. Nittaku Fastarc S-1 is another good BH choice (light, dynamic, plenty of spin and speed).
I mean, come on! He is playing for fun and seems not to train or haven't trained at all. Vega Intro might be OK but seeing how mine is developing with two to three times a week training with also multiball suggests that it will last maybe 6 months with the way yourik 445 will use it.
@yourik 445: Just buy new Mark V 2.0mm for both sides and be happy for at least 1.5 years!

Reactions: Suga D