hey guys I’m going to become a pro table tennis player and my uncle is helping me go

Status
Not open for further replies.
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Apr 2018
Firstly, I have a dedication to become a pro table tennis player and my uncle is taking me on a holiday to Sweden.He can move me there but the thing is I really want to train there and become a national player since I really want to represent Sweden.The training here in England is terrible the coaches don’t care for you and I train with a level 4 English coach.He has trained me and I’m not improving! I really want to know do Sweden have good facilities and training better then England? Probably I just want to hear from your point of view.Btw I’m 13

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Firstly, I have a dedication to become a pro table tennis player and my uncle is taking me on a holiday to Sweden.He can move me there but the thing is I really want to train there and become a national player since I really want to represent Sweden.The training here in England is terrible the coaches don’t care for you and I train with a level 4 English coach.He has trained me and I’m not improving! I really want to know do Sweden have good facilities and training better then England? Probably I just want to hear from your point of view.Btw I’m 13

Hi,

Firstly, good for you! No harm in having ambition, and if you work really hard I don't see why you can't make it.

Yes, having a good coach and good facilities is important, but always remember that you'll only get out what you put in, so work as hard as you can and learn from your losses. The first step to success is failure, so don't be afraid to lose!

I don't know much about the facilities and coaches in Sweden, but best of luck anyway!

What level are you at now? Do you have a UK ranking?

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
eh I’m 680 in the cadets in uk

Sounds like you have a long way to go then! I was expecting you to say you were top 50 cadets or something haha :)

I was probably around the top 100 cadets when I was younger, maybe higher, but its hard to say cause I don't live in England so never had an official ranking. I know I was 'rated' top 100 Under 21's at one point, but no idea about cadets!

But nonetheless, best of luck!! Keep the forum updated with your journey :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I think, in the 1990s training in Sweden was great. It may still be good. But you may be better off in Germany or China. I guess some of it also depends on your ability to understand the language of the country you are going to.

Yecats Encerwal has made two good posts with good advice.

Good luck wherever you end up training.

And here is information that will help you understand something valuable about a certain kind of training. This video is not specifically about TT. But the principles of training the random element still apply. And also how, training random does not make it look like you are getting better during training. But the results show up in match play where it counts.

Last edited:
says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews

Once upon a time you'd be hard pressed to find a better training venue than Falkenberg, Halland. It's probably still a veritable table tennis stronghold, check out http://idrottonline.se/FalkenbergsBTK-Bordtennis/Lager/InternationalTrainingCenter

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I think, in the 1990s training in Sweden was great. It may still be good. But you may be better off in Germany or China. I guess some of it also depends on your ability to understand the language of the country you are going to.

Yecats Encerwal has made two good posts with good advice.

Good luck wherever you end up training.

And here is information that will help you understand something valuable about a certain kind of training. This video is not specifically about TT. But the principles of training the random element still apply. And also how, training random does not make it look like you are getting better during training. But the results show up in match play where it counts.

Thanks Carl, long time no speak. I hope you are doing well!

:)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
this guy at my club he started playing properly at the age of 13 and he was at my level when he started.He is an advanced pro and he’s 16 now playing in the British league etc top players in the junior league

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
waldner says you need to build a good understanding of the game first which is correct.My coach he has top juniors and is the best coach in London Middlesex.I just train I’m not actually understanding.You see how in Europe coaches don’t care for you :/

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
I’m going to training today any tips? I’m playing with a good advanced player.Hes not a pro but his strokes are certainly clean and when I train with him my control on my blocks improves.Its just I can’t topspin with these players cuz I struggle that’s why I block their top spins in drills

This user has no status.
waldner says you need to build a good understanding of the game first which is correct.My coach he has top juniors and is the best coach in London Middlesex.I just train I’m not actually understanding.You see how in Europe coaches don’t care for you :/

That's great, and from experience I can say that the British League is great to play in, both Junior and Senior.

I would avoid generalising by saying "European coaches don't care for you", as I can say that just isn't true. There are many fantastic coaches around Europe and in the UK.

The important thing is that you must care for yourself first, put in the time on the table and the results will show.

You can't expect a coach to treat you like a Pro until you show the commitment, attitude and work ethic of a Pro! :)

Give yourself time to improve, and don't expect a "magic" coach to do the work to get you where you want to be! :)

This user has no status.
he’s certainly good in warming me up on counter drives,service return and making my sense of fame better. I just can’t loop with him idk the technique

Watch videos of pro's with a technique you desire, then try to replicate. First without a ball, then when you are comfortable, take it to the table. Maybe film yourself so you can review and adjust accordingly.

:)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
The training here in England is terrible the coaches don’t care for you and I train with a level 4 English coach.He has trained me and I’m not improving!

Where are you not improving? Or do you just not know? You seem to be a new player, so you probably don't understand what you need to do.

You should ask yourself some questions if you want to improve:

1. Are you learning any new techniques? If so, keep practicing it until you feel confident in it. If you are getting stuck and you aren't consistent with a specific technique, try posting a video of yourself trying and we will to give advice.

2. What are your weaknesses (do you know what they are)? Try working on what you are weakest with to become a more well-rounded player. If you get stuck, try posting a video and we will give advice.

3. Do you practice with a SPECIFIC goal in mind? If you have a daily goal (today, I will make my forehand loop on underspin have more spin; today, I will backhand block down the line more consistently; today, I will get better at moving right to left), you will improve step by step very quickly. But you have no aim, and only dream of being like Waldner, you will never get there. Or if you have only a broad goal (I want a better serve; I want a better forehand), you won't get there. You should always have something to work on, whether it be spin, speed, placement, or footwork. Always be mindful and have a small, specific goal when you practice.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
I built up my service variation just by watching and I tried it out and I’m perfecting it.Ik how to loop against backspin by putting your bat down behind your knee.I do it perfectly fine.Any videos on how to forehand topspin my coach just says drop the bat down knee level and angle it but it doesn’t seem like a topspin.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
I built up my service variation just by watching and I tried it out and I’m perfecting it.Ik how to loop against backspin by putting your bat down behind your knee.I do it perfectly fine.Any videos on how to forehand topspin my coach just says drop the bat down knee level and angle it but it doesn’t seem like a topspin.

You say you look underspin perfectly fine, but you say you can't do a topspin. That's contradictory. You should post a video of yourself, so that we can give more accurate and specific advice.

What do you mean by, "it doesn't seem like a topspin"? Do you find yourself not spinning the ball? Are you missing your shot? You need to give us more information if you want us to help you.

You can find vague and general advice everywhere on the internet. However, advice that's tailored towards you will work best.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.