11 year old sensation Anna Hursey vs TableTennisDaily's Dan!

Dan

says editing a big TTD Team episode... stay tuned 👀

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Hey what’s up guys!

So after hearing the incredible news that Anna Hursey qualified for the Commonwealth Games I just had to find out how good the 11 year old really is! I traveled to the awesome Cardiff City Table Tennis Club in Wales where Anna trains and practices with the coaches there. I challenged rising star Anna Hursey to a 1 set challenge!

Anna is the youngest participant ever to play in the Commonwealth Games!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Her serve at 40 seconds is reverse ! Amazing player!

When I saw that I went "oooh" verbally while watching it.

That's a serve though once you scout it, just have to be ready for because that's side/top. She got Dan there because he probably didn't know she had that in her bag. I doubt she'd get away with that next time.

If the opponent reads it and attacks it, you're in on the back foot.

1:11
Looks like a miss hit either on the table or paddle during the serve by Dan. surprised she didn't attack that. Then noticed after that it seems like she likes to push virtually every serve from what I can tell.

Because she plays serves like that, I could see 1:16 being a common occurrence if you know what you're getting back every time.

But yeah pretty crazy level for being 11. Amazing.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Unlucky Dan, close game! (towards the end ;) )

She holds her own in Senior British League (Division 1!) , our team had to play against her. It made for some good games, and she made a lot of grown Men look like complete amateurs that weekend! haha :)

Hopefully she will continue her progress, at this rate there's no doubt in my mind she has what it takes to go Pro.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
I thought all of the kid matches were interesting. David lacked power and tactical adjustments. Anna had power but had trouble attacking Dan's spinny loops. Fortunately, she was too far ahead. But the nameless Chinese 12-year-old was probably the most efficient player. He had excellent serves, spin, and variation of returns to control the table. Not even the mini-bat could stop him.

Dan

Dan

Administrator
Aug 2010
Read 72 reviews
Before I watched the game I thought you could beat her as 11y/o normally doesn't have enough power so just relies on speed and positioning the ball. Anyway, you let her get ahead 6-0 :rolleyes: so very hard to come back.

I thought the same initially haha! The head start did not help, it was a great experience, she hit the ball so early it was tough to react!

Her serve at 40 seconds is reverse ! Amazing player!

When I saw that I went "oooh" verbally while watching it.

That's a serve though once you scout it, just have to be ready for because that's side/top. She got Dan there because he probably didn't know she had that in her bag. I doubt she'd get away with that next time.

If the opponent reads it and attacks it, you're in on the back foot.

1:11
Looks like a miss hit either on the table or paddle during the serve by Dan. surprised she didn't attack that. Then noticed after that it seems like she likes to push virtually every serve from what I can tell.

Because she plays serves like that, I could see 1:16 being a common occurrence if you know what you're getting back every time.

But yeah pretty crazy level for being 11. Amazing.

Yeah this caught me off guard! I might start trying out that serve myself :)

Yeah I agree, I think over time she will soon be opening up a lot more and become even more effective. Anna's style reminded me a bit like Liu Shiwen.

Unlucky Dan, close game! (towards the end ;) )

She holds her own in Senior British League (Division 1!) , our team had to play against her. It made for some good games, and she made a lot of grown Men look like complete amateurs that weekend! haha :)

Hopefully she will continue her progress, at this rate there's no doubt in my mind she has what it takes to go Pro.

Haha yeah I've heard that. I coach Louis Price whos on the same team (Cardiff City Table Tennis Club) as Anna and I hear there are many exciting battles. I love British League! Great environment!

I think she can go all the way, will all depend on how much she wants it and her training ground.

So Dan could have qualified for the commonwealth games Women's team .. not bad ... not bad at all !!!

Haha sign me up!

My conclusion is that Dan hits like an eleven year old girl! :) Great game

That's exactly it haha! I need a rematch! :D

I thought all of the kid matches were interesting. David lacked power and tactical adjustments. Anna had power but had trouble attacking Dan's spinny loops. Fortunately, she was too far ahead. But the nameless Chinese 12-year-old was probably the most efficient player. He had excellent serves, spin, and variation of returns to control the table. Not even the mini-bat could stop him.

Don't get me started on that 12 year old kid! I cannot believe he won the last point with a mini bat to haha!

Great game and there's absolutely no shame in getting beaten by 11yrs old girl. I mean, I suspect most of us in this forum(including myself) would struggle to get 5 points off her.

Hey ttpshot, thanks! Anna is a very strong player despite her age, as Yecats Encerwal has mentioned Anna beats some top senior players in the UK. So I think we'd all struggle :D

This user has no status.
We're actually playing Cardiff this weekend, its basically between our team (Ravenscroft) and Cardiff for promotion to the Championship, so it will be interesting to see who they play, given that Anna is busy in Australia (luckily for us!) :)

But yeh, I would always encourage people to play British League, it provides a consistent amount of matches at a good level.

We're secretly very happy that Anna can't make it! :)

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
You gotta spin those kinda kids outta the gym. Playing bang-bang is playing right into their hands. Dan was WAY behind 50% on the points where he got into bang-bang rallies. The times Dan focused on heavy, slow topspin, he won nearly every one of those points. Dan is good enough to know the odds and chances of things, so I think he was being nice and playing a style that would showcase the young girl.

Heck, why not go that way? It is a gracious sly way of going about it. Dan promotes Table Tennis and the sport SHOULD be an entertainment business. I do not see anything inconsistent or out of place about Dan's approach in his challenge vids.

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
She's a very strong and aggressive player. I noticed in TT that women and men don't have a big gap like they do in basketball. Women on the professional level tend to be up to par with the mens unlike other sports where they might suffer in viewers because of a big gap.