Did Fan Zhendong lose to Harimoto on purpose? (Asian Cup 2018)

On purpose or not?

• Yes! To win more medals!

Votes: 32 74.4%
  • No! Harimoto is stronger

Votes: 11 25.6%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2018
FZD's response when asked about it by a reporter 2 days ago. Time to exercise your common sense.

Thx for digging it out. It says a lot. Fzd didn’t deny it but rather came up with this not-convenient-to-discuss-here statement. My guess is that fzd has been under pressure for losing to TH. He felt obligated to let the true out a bit to his fans, “look......”

Nuff said, my last post here in this thread.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Thx for digging it out. It says a lot. Fzd didn’t deny it but rather came up with this not-convenient-to-discuss-here statement. My guess is that fzd has been under pressure for losing to TH. He felt obligated to let the true out a bit to his fans, “look......”

Nuff said, my last post here in this thread.

conspiracy theorists are just hilarious please keep posting!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Interesting theory but probably not true, unless Fan ZhangDong is faking well. My gut feel is this is normal reaction of people admiring Chinese players and think they're invincible.

Reactions: Suga D
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Fingers crossed Japan is gonna reach the WTTC final so we will see another clash for real.

Reactions: EmRatThich
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Fingers crossed Japan is gonna reach the WTTC final so we will see another clash for real.

I'd love to see that but after that very embarrassing loss to England, chances are high they finish 2nd of their group. Which means an encounter with China in semis or even 1/4 becomes likely.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I guess I kept quiet on the subject before. But I figure I may as well say what I saw.

The book on Harimoto is not that complicated. If you work the BH corner of the table he is pretty amazing and it won’t expose his weaknesses. If you try to dominate the BH corner on him he is as good as anyone.

But if you exploit the FH, his weaknesses start to show up.

In that match, I don’t see FZD exploiting Harimoto’s FH that much. I know FZD likes the BH side as well. But if he felt pressured to win, FZD May have used a completely different game strategy.

I would be surprised if the CNT coaches don’t know what I just said. And it is exactly what the Korean player who knocked Harimoto out of that tournament did.

But it makes no difference to me if that loss was strategic or not.

When ML lost to Koki Niwa it was not planned. But it never happened again. We’ll see if the CNT coaches are up to that task.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Jan 2018
I'd love to see that but after that very embarrassing loss to England, chances are high they finish 2nd of their group. Which means an encounter with China in semis or even 1/4 becomes likely.

Even if they made the 1st in group, there is still a 50% chance they get drawn to the bottom where China will be. So, the biggest difference is they miss out on the bye in the round of 16, which provides a much needed break after 5 group matches.