I’m qualifying for the English nationals help

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
Apr 2018
so basically we are put into groups and the top 2 go thru.Im with a 117 ranked player and I’m 711 and a random player too.Im vsing the other groups which players I know and some I don’t.Please advice!!! The 117 ranked player idk about him im going to meet him on Saturday.What tips can u advise!!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2013
Read 2 reviews
so basically we are put into groups and the top 2 go thru.Im with a 117 ranked player and I’m 711 and a random player too.Im vsing the other groups which players I know and some I don’t.Please advice!!! The 117 ranked player idk about him im going to meet him on Saturday.What tips can u advise!!!

There is nothing a 711 ranked player can do to a 117 ranked player. Grow up.

So many things to say about this, all of which a good coach should be telling you already.

Firstly, anything can happen on the day and nothing is a foregone conclusion. Who said you cannot win the whole thing? Ok, reality check.. your unlikely to at your first tournament, but stranger things have happened.

The first thing you need to get out of your head is the gap between your rankings that is clearly playing on your mind. Remember that player was also once where you are and they have managed to get close to the top 100, who says that won't be you in 18 months time?

You may find that there is a player that is new to the circuit and turns out to be a complete natural and unknown sensation. It could be this player that causes you much trouble because you are so worried about the other guy and you do not pay the respect this sensation deserves.

And so on and so on....

At the end of the day, focus on what you can control by doing what you did to get you to the nationals in the first place.

The best thing you can do is use this experience to learn like David wrote.

Dan made a good point in another thread the other day... Take a note pad, write down after the match what happened, such as...
What you need to work on
What you did well
What did the player do against you that worked really well for them
Was there anything that they got easy points from you on?

And most importantly, what one thing can you learn from you opponent.

Oh, and do it straight after the match, DON'T wait otherwise you might forget that all important thing :)

Reactions: OldschoolPenholder
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
ok I’ll learn from the player since he’s hard.I have beaten a top 300 junior before because I had an attitude and controlled his deadly topspins.Ofc I am going to set a variation of tactics blocking won’t do shit.The guy is a lobber :DDDDD so I’m going to see how it goes

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
man he’s the only player I’ll vs lol but I’m going to do my best and I won’t let him beat me.Doesnt matter about how bad my loop is because I have other shots I can pull on him.ill try my best to do a good controlled loop and then it goes into the real rallies

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
as waldner says you always stay positive for the next points and think on how to win.The opponent may have fast rubbers and his topspin will be insane but you always vary what u do. E.gg play a short push move him around so he can topspin and when it comes at the right moment catch him.Make him lob high and loop off the bounce with little swing until the player messes up,

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
What are these English Nationals you’re referring to? When/where are they?
There are inter regional qualifiers for U11, U13 and cadets being held in West London, Moberley this Sat. I guess that qualifies you for some sort of nationa! competition.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
lol u do realise I’ve seen 900 players beaten a 201 junior before.Let them mop the floor, you don’t know shit about the opponent first off they can have weaknesses and I’ll aim for them

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Read 1 reviews
It always helps me visualizing how a match is going to go. Like when I know the player, I can think about the shots he plays and what I am going to do with it. Like picture his topspin in your head and think about what block/ counter you will do.

ALSO: Don't listen to people telling you just to go into it to improve, always play for the win. Always go into a tournament with the mentality of winning it. Sure, this may lead to more disappointment if you lose, but it will make you play with more energy ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: OldschoolPenholder

NDH

says Spin to win!
tips I’m training today tournament starts tomorrow.3rd ball attack drills and service return? Some footwork.Anything else you can advice

Yeah, stop making so many threads about yourself.....

Keep it all to 1 thread - It's basic manners.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Study any video footage of your opponent that you may have and prepare accordingly. Just learn from the match as others have mentioned.