tables

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
I'm new to the game and was wondering if there is a way to turn a standard table tennis table into one that allows playback, or to play alone(I'm also new to the terminology and not sure what to call it)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I would recommend a cheap robot or return board because they can more accurately simulate the return time. The balls come back too quickly when balls are bounced off the other side of the table because the travel distance is too short.
BTW, this is also my biggest complaint about robots. The robots shoot balls at specific intervals. There should be a vibration sensor on the net so the robot waits until the ball gets back. Their should be a timeout for when the player misses the net.

Reactions: Ioiettino
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I would recommend a cheap robot or return board because they can more accurately simulate the return time. The balls come back too quickly when balls are bounced off the other side of the table because the travel distance is too short.
BTW, this is also my biggest complaint about robots. The robots shoot balls at specific intervals. There should be a vibration sensor on the net so the robot waits until the ball gets back. Their should be a timeout for when the player misses the net.

Isn't part of what is so good for your game about Multiball or a robot that the next ball can be put in play before the previous ball has come across or landed? Don't drills that are faster than could actually happen in real play scenarios help you speed up your reset so that after, real play feels slow enough so you can set and get ready for the next ball much easier?

Reactions: Ioiettino

Brs

This user has no status.

Brs

This user has no status.
Oct 2015
Maybe at some point, but given the OP starts with 'I'm new to the game...' faster than real play speed doesn't sound like a great idea.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
When using the other side of the table as a return board you don't even know if the ball would land on the table.
A good return board would be better as it can be placed back from the table to where an opponent would hit the ball. This simulates timing of actual play more closely. It allows one time to use some footwork.

There is a recent return board thread the OP should read.

This user has no status.
All the various tools (robots, rebound boards, etc) can sometimes frustrate beginners. Getting a little bit of coaching and/or joining a club with some experienced players, etc. will help you get off to a good start and build some decent fundamentals. Once you are on your way, these other tools can be incorporated both for fun and to build on those skills.

Reactions: lodro
says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
All the various tools (robots, rebound boards, etc) can sometimes frustrate beginners. Getting a little bit of coaching and/or joining a club with some experienced players, etc. will help you get off to a good start and build some decent fundamentals. Once you are on your way, these other tools can be incorporated both for fun and to build on those skills.

I agree with everything you say but of course not everybody has access to a club.
I also found that while i do play in two small clubs there are certain ""phenomena"" that piss me off
1 . The good players insist of playing against one another and are reluctant to play with beginners
2 Everybody seems to jealously guard their skills and secrets , as giving them away and sharing them
could mean that these skills will be used against them in future.

maybe this only happens in provincial towns of 3rd world counties 😁

says Table tennis clown
says Table tennis clown
Apr 2020
Can't you hire a coach? Also, playing alone might let you develop incorrect strokes.

Too late for me, I got ALL the incorrect strokes one can have .
There is only 1 qualified coach in the district and he refuses to teach anyone.
.........................but i am not complaining , I will pick up my Tennirobo tomorrow, will have to travel 700km to get it.
now I got the robo, I got a catch-net, I got about 60 balls.and i gots the blades.......................all i need is a table 🤣