An idea for Dan's next video series

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
It occured to me that there never was a video where a top level pro would play with, well, not necessarily outrageously bad rubber, but certainly with a very cheap one. Why? To give the idea of how much of it is the technique vs equipment automagically improving your game. Sort of like "Can you really tell a $3000 guitar from a $300 one?" videos, where a guy who knows what he's doing plays both things and most of the listeners can't tell the difference.

Say, a pro does some training drills and/or tricky shots: half with his own setup and half with a random cheap one - what shots can he produce with both? What Dan thinks about the quality of incoming balls? Would you be able to tell one from another just by looking at how it plays? Should a low level player invest into T05/national H3N or should he invest into practicing with a coach? We all know the answer to this one, but how often do you see a thread where a guy ignores all advice and goes for a trendy rubber, leaving everyone shaking their heads. Maybe seeing Dan getting destroyed by Timo Boll with a $10 rubber (no disrespect Dan :)) will do more than a thousand advices. Or maybe Dan will beat Timo and the whole idea will suffer a crushing defeat lol.

Last edited:
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
If you name the rubber/blade it is basically advertisement and promotion, for which they would (and should) ask for money.
Bad idea I think.

Also pointless. As a pianist I can tell you immediately the difference between a high grade and low grade instrument, in terms of sound quality and mechanical fluidity, but of course it doesn't mean I'll play less good on it. It'll just not sound as good, possibly.

I also find something distasteful,, dishonest and preachy about making a video like that. What, you're trying to 'prove' something to 'beginners' ?? You're going to give random equipment to a good player, show that the player can still play, and from that infer that 'equipment doesn't really matter', when both you and the good player know for a fact is a lie (or else they'd be using random equipment in their career) ?
And you want an equipment shop to make the video for you???

Meh. No.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
If you name the rubber/blade it is basically advertisement and promotion, for which they would (and should) ask for money.
nope, it can be but it needn't be an advertisement. Not every review is a paid promotion.

As a pianist I can tell you immediately the difference between a high grade and low grade instrument, in terms of sound quality and mechanical fluidity
that's the idea, mate. You need to be good to know what's what. As a non-pianist I'd have no chance. And how much of a chance do begginer-intermediate players have at using high-end rubbers as intended? Now I don't know where you got that I'm an 'equipment doesn't really matter' type of person. Of course it does, expensive things are generally better than cheap things alright. We're talking about bang for the buck AND some properties of the top rubbers being detrimental to developing proper technique.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
Bad idea I think.

Also pointless. As a pianist I can tell you immediately the difference between a high grade and low grade instrument, in terms of sound quality and mechanical fluidity, but of course it doesn't mean I'll play less good on it. It'll just not sound as good, possibly.

I also find something distasteful,, dishonest and preachy about making a video like that. What, you're trying to 'prove' something to 'beginners' ?? You're going to give random equipment to a good player, show that the player can still play, and from that infer that 'equipment doesn't really matter', when both you and the good player know for a fact is a lie (or else they'd be using random equipment in their career) ?
And you want an equipment shop to make the video for you???

Meh. No.

Atas does sound a bit like he's got an agenda here but I don't think it's an issue, he's being open as to the aims and merits of such of a video, and the fact it could go both ways.
I, for one, would enjoy that kind of thing, maybe following NextLevel's suggestion.

Also, Dan is a very good player in his own right and, as the next best thing, I wouldn't mind a review with Tom (it's been a while! I love seeing the two of you going at it) of a non-tensor, run-of-the-mill rubber. Maybe GoldArc 5, Xiom Musa 3, Nittaku Factive, Cornilleau Drive or something (I don't know enough about Chinese rubbers so didn't name any, but would also love that kind of thing with "2nd tier", albeit good stuff). And by that, I mean really going for it.

One criticism I have for, say, the Rasanter or Target Pro videos, is how quickly one sponge hardness was singled out as being a standout, and how little time was given to the other variants. I understand you need to remain in good terms with brands and rely on people reading between the lines, rather than singling out negatives, not to mention putting on a good show with whatever works best for you, etc. And you always mention whom the less favoured rubbers could suit.

But still, if you were to say "look, this is really not my kind of rubber (soft, slow and all; take the 42.5 GA5, for example) but we'll see what we can get out of it". I am sure that stuff would be playable and I don't think this would sound offensive as people mentioned, in the way "we've decided to play shite rubbers and make a random video" would - so long as you don't go too far down the scale. In this case, you could reach out to a whole lot of people who don't quite identify with the T05 vs T64, or Rhyzer 48 vs BS Z1, or whatever. Or better still, reach out to the persons who do, and make them have a think.

Reactions: James Krassowski