Back to Forum
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 4 33
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 33 4

Question What are the top all wood blades?

What is the difference between 5 and 7 plies blades? Is there a big difference? What are some of the top all wood blade under USD$100 for a player who likes to play close to mid-distance away from the table (offensive player)? YEO? Which Stiga Blade is the best?

The Following User Likes 21kangc1's Post:

Andyzhao123

This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 234 184
    A
    This user has no status.

Established TTD Member 184 234

User Info Menu

Aug 2017
    United States
    Read 0 Reviews
    Two extra plies tend to make 7 ply blades stiffer and heavier. Easier to impart power, more stable for blocking, less contact time with the ball requires better timing for control and spin. The difference in weight and stiffness can be big or small, and there are even 5 plies that are stiffer and heavier than some 7 plies. The best all wood blade is unquestionably the Donic Appelgren Allplay.

The Following User Likes Andy44's Post:

Equaaz

This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 327 280
    This user has no status.

Advanced TTD Member 280 327
    Another good option would be the Tibhar Stratus Power Wood, which happens to be on sale right now ($32 USD) for the next day or two at TT11.

The Following User Likes Nate4s's Post:

21kangc1

says Are you the ping to my pong?

Established TTD Member 125 148
    says Are you the ping to my pong?

Established TTD Member 148 125

User Info Menu

I think it would be hard to pick one blade that would be preferred by all types of players. A Cpen player would want different characteristics compared to a shake-hand player. A punch-blocker would want a blade different from a looper. For example the Nitakku Violin is a looper's dream but not ideal at punch blocks. The Butterfly Chinese Real is awesome at close-to-the-table punch blocks and quick loops but really bad for proper spinny loops.

And Andy44 is correct that at times a 5-ply blade can be harder or stiffer than a 7-ply blade. It would depend on the types of woods used as well as the composition of the plies. In other words the choice of center ply and choice of outer plies all makes a difference.

Then, you can also change the feel of a blade by sealing it.

If you are a looper you want a blade with some sort of flex to it. If you are more of a hitter, and blocker you want a stiffer blade.

I agree that the Donic Appelgren Allplay is one of the best wood blade you can get. And that includes much more expensive blades.

The Following User Likes Ranger-man's Post:

21kangc1

This user has no status.

TTD Member 22 35
    M
    This user has no status.

TTD Member 35 22
    There's too much variation to give a definite answer of 5 ply vs 7 ply. If you can narrow down some particular blades, this forum has some of the most wholesome equipment reviews I've found.

You didn't state if you were a high spin oriented offensive player or prefer to hit hard, that would dictate whether someone should recommend you a flex blade or a stiffer one.

5-ply
    Violin
    Andrzej Grubba
    YEO / Adidas Avenger 5

The first 2 blades really stand out to me for high spin. I actually prefer the Grubba, because it is easier to push with and the spin generated on away from the table loops is tremendous. My game points are typically won by out looping opponents in spin variation and placement. I find it more satisfying than overpowering them with brute speed.

The YEO is a good middle ground blade in that I didn't find it the best for looping, but i can generate decent spin with it. However, I could flick serves , block and loop drive some winners much easier than I could the 2 aforementioned blades.

Keep in mind during your search what rubber you plan to use with them, as this can either make a good combination or a setup you can't wait to get rid of.