What are the top all wood blades?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Two extra plies tend to make 7 ply blades stiffer and heavier. Easier to impart power, more stable for blocking, less contact time with the ball requires better timing for control and spin. The difference in weight and stiffness can be big or small, and there are even 5 plies that are stiffer and heavier than some 7 plies. The best all wood blade is unquestionably the Donic Appelgren Allplay.

• Angry
Reactions: Equaaz
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
I think it would be hard to pick one blade that would be preferred by all types of players. A Cpen player would want different characteristics compared to a shake-hand player. A punch-blocker would want a blade different from a looper. For example the Nitakku Violin is a looper's dream but not ideal at punch blocks. The Butterfly Chinese Real is awesome at close-to-the-table punch blocks and quick loops but really bad for proper spinny loops.

And Andy44 is correct that at times a 5-ply blade can be harder or stiffer than a 7-ply blade. It would depend on the types of woods used as well as the composition of the plies. In other words the choice of center ply and choice of outer plies all makes a difference.

Then, you can also change the feel of a blade by sealing it.

If you are a looper you want a blade with some sort of flex to it. If you are more of a hitter, and blocker you want a stiffer blade.

I agree that the Donic Appelgren Allplay is one of the best wood blade you can get. And that includes much more expensive blades.

Reactions: 21kangc1
This user has no status.
There's too much variation to give a definite answer of 5 ply vs 7 ply. If you can narrow down some particular blades, this forum has some of the most wholesome equipment reviews I've found.

You didn't state if you were a high spin oriented offensive player or prefer to hit hard, that would dictate whether someone should recommend you a flex blade or a stiffer one.

5-ply
Violin
Andrzej Grubba
YEO / Adidas Avenger 5

The first 2 blades really stand out to me for high spin. I actually prefer the Grubba, because it is easier to push with and the spin generated on away from the table loops is tremendous. My game points are typically won by out looping opponents in spin variation and placement. I find it more satisfying than overpowering them with brute speed.

The YEO is a good middle ground blade in that I didn't find it the best for looping, but i can generate decent spin with it. However, I could flick serves , block and loop drive some winners much easier than I could the 2 aforementioned blades.

Keep in mind during your search what rubber you plan to use with them, as this can either make a good combination or a setup you can't wait to get rid of.