Replacement for Xiom Vega Pro

Hi,
I currently have Xiom Vega Pro on both sides with DHS Hurricane Long 3 blade.

I am happy with speed and control, but I think I can't generate enough spin on FH, or at least I feel like spin coming to me is a lot faster than I can generate. I had Vega Europe before, but even though it was spinnier, didn't like lack of control and gears, and it was too reactive to incoming spin.

Looking to possibly replace rubber on FH, and possibly BH as well (BH currently is working well for me though, but not sure if it gives me enough spin on the serve).
1. I do not need more speed really.
2. Do NOT want rubber to be too reactive to incoming spin.
3. My playing style is too offensive, and I am trying to slow down a bit and add more "for sure" shots while remaining in control, because my style is more straight than loop. In that sense Vega Pro is very good, but I want just a bit more spin on my shots.
4. Good Control

I've heard that T05 is hard to control, is it true?
Looking for some suggestions as far as FH rubber and possibly BH as well. Do not want rubber to be too soft. Do not want DHS rubbers.

I was thinking about Tenergy or Tibhar. Played against Donic Baracuda Big Slam, and that rubber generated tons of spin.

Price is not really an issue right now, just want to get the right rubber for me and don't want to try 10 different ones.

Suggestions?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
This is definitely a technique thing. Vega Pro is one of the spinniest rubbers out there. I think the big difference in hardness is the reason why you aren't generating that much spin. Vega Europe is also relatively spin insensitive. If Vega Europe is too soft for you, you may want to try out Andro Hexer Duro. Medium hardness and easy to control.

Wouldn't recommend Asia DF as the catapult is higher.

But in general, I would recommend just using what you are used to (Vega Europe) and seeking the help of a coach.

Reactions: Der_Echte
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
well with hard rubbers you either have to hit hard to get spin or you have to brush in high speed. that's why it's easier to generate spin for amateurs with softer rubbers. the maximum spin with softer rubbers is less but it's easier to get some spin in the first place with those. look for a rubber with medium hardness, maybe baracuda/hexer/genius or something like that

I can't agree that Asia has more catapult. Between Europe, Pro and Asia DF the Europe has more catapult. In terms of hardness Asia DF is same as Pro, but with more spin. The non DF Asia is harder, less spin and less control. Between the three I find Asia DF best at close-mid, Pro best at mid-long distance, Europe best for blocks and slower drived top-spin, lttle bit tricky over the table due to the stronger catapult. Choise depends on personal style, of course.
Absolutely agree with Fabian about generating spin differences.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Vega pro is a lot spinnier than Europe. I would encourage you to improve your technique to produce the spin you are looking for.

When you depend on the rubber to generate the speed/spin you want without putting in technique, you end up giving up control to the rubber. Hence you feel lack of control with the Europe.

When you improve technique to impart speed/spin using the rubber, you will have greater control over all aspects of the ball, and you will no longer feel the lack of control.

This user has no status.
Actually I might ask something relating a little to the answers to the OP.
Xiom Vega Pro is generally the same as all the newest and relevant ESN rubbers right.
So what is the difference between the DF version? or the newer ones the Omega 4 or something.
Also if anyone could give a direct comparison between the Xiom Vega Pro/Europe/df vs Stiga Mantra M/S (I would imagine very similar though)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
Xiom Vega Pro is generally the same as all the newest and relevant ESN rubbers right.

Far from it. It is from a very different generation of rubbers, although it is still very competitive, especially due to its price.

So what is the difference between the DF version? or the newer ones the Omega 4 or something.

There is no DF Version of Vega Pro, and Omega IV is kinda old as well.
Between the regular and the DF versions of Vega Europe, you´d find that the DF version is a little softer, does everything a little better, but the difference is small so you´d probably want the regular version since it´s way cheaper.

Also if anyone could give a direct comparison between the Xiom Vega Pro/Europe/df vs Stiga Mantra M/S (I would imagine very similar though)

Again, very far from it. The XIOM rubbers are made in Germany, the Mantras made in Japan, and their feel is quite different.
Both Vega Pro and Mantra M (maybe H as well) can be used as an alternative to tenergy 05. The softer Vega versions are nice and easy, even suitable for hobby players, while Mantra S despite being soft is a precision tool.

This user has no status.
[/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]

Far from it. It is from a very different generation of rubbers, although it is still very competitive, especially due to its price.

There is no DF Version of Vega Pro, and Omega IV is kinda old as well.
Between the regular and the DF versions of Vega Europe, you´d find that the DF version is a little softer, does everything a little better, but the difference is small so you´d probably want the regular version since it´s way cheaper.

Again, very far from it. The XIOM rubbers are made in Germany, the Mantras made in Japan, and their feel is quite different.
Both Vega Pro and Mantra M (maybe H as well) can be used as an alternative to tenergy 05. The softer Vega versions are nice and easy, even suitable for hobby players, while Mantra S despite being soft is a precision tool.

wow top notch reply mate thanks :D
The price of Vega pro/Europe is very appealing. I was considering them for when my Mantra S goes dead. Although leaning towards Europe since I like soft rubbers.
Would you be able to give a direct comparison of Vega Europe and mantra S?

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Basten4,

Vega Pro is a VERY dynamic rubber that makes it super easy to make heavy top spin and a little pace...

Sure, there are some rubbers around that make a little more top spin with a tiny less effort... but the difference isn't all THAT much.

I don't know what other equipment to say to try... it won't be much more an improvement, unless it is a slower rubber with easy to produce spin.

It isn't so much the rubber here...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: ttdad