I qualified for College Nationals, help

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Another trick that Kim Jung Hoon often talks about in his training vids is a way to suddenly whip the shoulders EARLY before impact to whip the ball cross-court when opponent shows going to cover down the line...

You do it by staying loose, showing you want to hit down the line... when opponent takes a step early or starts leaning, you stay loose in shoulders and with free arm already held up naturally near chest height, pull back with free hand backwards like you are pulling a rip-cord towards you... this will whip your shoulders, get that waist and some shoulder turn into the shot... and make the impact happen sooner - thus making it go cross court.

Benefit is you get another 10% power and spin doing this as you are engaging shoulder turn. You stay loose and do it sudden, often opponent will not see it coming... it is a natural way to adjust where you want to send the ball if opponent shows he/she is opening up that path.

KJH talks and gives a good demo of the concept at 12:05 for a full minute, and at 14:15 and at 18:00... even if it is in Korean, you can see how he demonstrates and isolates...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Are they actually students there (which would explain scholarship aspect)? Jishan was in NC, I thought, and Wang Chen in NY/NJ... Unless my info is hopelessly outdated, of course.

To participate, yes. Not sure what all the rules and scholarships amount to. But they are in degree programs of some sort - again let's not debate without extra info the rigor etc. of the scholarship standards.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Texas Wesleyan was the first to recruit top US amature players to play for their team... since early 2000s. Some were from out of country. Some were regular college age, some not. Other US Unis do this too, not so many.

Virginia Smash TTC owner's son got accepted with a scholarship at Lindenwood recently.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2017
Texas Wesleyan was the first to recruit top US amature players to play for their team... since early 2000s. Some were from out of country. Some were regular college age, some not. Other US Unis do this too, not so many.

Virginia Smash TTC owner's son got accepted with a scholarship at Lindenwood recently.

Texas Wesleyan was probably the first college to seriously recruit player but I know Anderson and probably Augusta recruited and gave scholarships to players back in the late 80s and early 90s. They met in the finals of the national championships in 1989 with August winning. Augusta also won the next 3 years as well.

Reactions: Der_Echte
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2017
There is an awful lot of people on Texas Wesleyan roster who are not that close to Texas: Jishan Liang, Wang Chen, Wang Jinxing...

I know some players are allowed to take classes remotely on-line if they pass placement tests.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Texas Wesleyan was probably the first college to seriously recruit player but I know Anderson and probably Augusta recruited and gave scholarships to players back in the late 80s and early 90s. They met in the finals of the national championships in 1989 with August winning. Augusta also won the next 3 years as well.
That is stuff that ought to be in US History of Table Tennis.

Glad you brought it up.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Hi David, i saw you in action, just the last part of the match , end of game 3 and game 4...

the quality of the video is very impressive, better than some ITTF opens ! and there's even 2 commentators !! wow !!!!

As for the match
well i don't remember much game 3, but it looks like you gave up in game 4. it was a one-way street... what bothers me a lot, is that the guy didn't seem THAT much better than you, and i believe you had the stronger FH for example [when its on the table !!] I am not able to explain why you missed so many FH loops/drives but what bothered me most is that you kept doing the same mistake. If I had missed twice a FH drive, i'd try the 3rd time to go for a different motion, maybe slower but more spinny, to get it on the table. This is a match you're not drilling !!!

He liked to stay in the middle and pin you on your BH side where you had troubles and if you were waiting too much there he'd play wide FH.. so i guess one reason for the misses on FH side is that you had too much to protect your BH side and that make it playing a FH more difficult.

Also, like the commentator said, you had trouble receiving, with many times the ball popping up for an easy chance ball for Anthony...

tough tough... !!!!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
Hi David, i saw you in action, just the last part of the match , end of game 3 and game 4...

the quality of the video is very impressive, better than some ITTF opens ! and there's even 2 commentators !! wow !!!!

As for the match
well i don't remember much game 3, but it looks like you gave up in game 4. it was a one-way street... what bothers me a lot, is that the guy didn't seem THAT much better than you, and i believe you had the stronger FH for example [when its on the table !!] I am not able to explain why you missed so many FH loops/drives but what bothered me most is that you kept doing the same mistake. If I had missed twice a FH drive, i'd try the 3rd time to go for a different motion, maybe slower but more spinny, to get it on the table. This is a match you're not drilling !!!

He liked to stay in the middle and pin you on your BH side where you had troubles and if you were waiting too much there he'd play wide FH.. so i guess one reason for the misses on FH side is that you had too much to protect your BH side and that make it playing a FH more difficult.

Also, like the commentator said, you had trouble receiving, with many times the ball popping up for an easy chance ball for Anthony...

tough tough... !!!!!

The DHS skyline that I usually use didn't pass the racket inspection, so I had to use a friend's hurricane. I did not adjust to the rubber very well :(

I didn't give up, I missed three forehand openers. Funny that you said that my backhand was weaker, but actually it was pretty consistent throughout the match.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2019
It's really great that you are interested in College Nationals and want to improve your skills. it's commendable that you care about your future. But if you want to get a good education on this questions you should engage in self-development and ask for help professionals like https://pro-papers.com/buy-experience-report and then you will definitely can get every awards.