Downgrading blade

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Hi everyone,

I've been taking lessons twice a week for the past two and half years, the caveat being that I am being taught in a language I don't fully understand so it's a lot of gestures and positioning corrections. I have made a lot of progress and about 16 months ago I moved to a Andro Treiber K and Andro Rasant Powergrip on BH and Rasanter R42 on FH. I am starting to discover that I am stronger playing close to the table (maybe it's because I am not good at far away play).

Therefore, I am wondering whether I should actually choose to downgrade my blade to something slower which will allow me to improve my technique. What are the teachers in the forum thinking? I am in Vietnam and in the few shops there are, I cannot really get any advice as it's in Vietnamese. Is it worth thinking about a blade with Hinoki? Or the oft-mentioned Nittaku Violin?

Thanks in advance!

says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
Nah it's a good blade.
Viscaria-ish.

In any case why not ask your coach. He'll know much better than anyone else.
Training for two and a half years means you shouldn't have any trouble controlling the blade. In theory.
For someone who's a more a beginner I'd probably advise an easy wood blade but... two and a half years? Dunno

Last edited:
Saigon

Hi Chris! I am also in Saigon. I'm surprised I haven't ran in to you before. I'm living in D2. I often play table tennis in Binh Thanh District at Hoang Tan Club or Huong Tram. I also play in An Phu, Phu Nhuan club, and Ti Long Club in Thu Duc. I go around to various clubs in other districts quite often as well. Where do you live in Saigon?

This user has no status.
I am going through the same develop issues as the OP and the point is to not think of it as downgrading the blade. If you change equipment and your game benefits from it then it is an upgrade. Think of it like pips out rubber. I would always have thought of that as a down grade until it was pointed out to me how many pros play at least one side with pips out.

I doubt I will ever play the type of game where I fall back and lob or counter loop to get back into the point. I stay at the table and live or die as I get returns back or not. I love that type of game and so I am working to find the right combination of fast rubber and all around blade to give me the best results in that strategy. Anything I end up with will not be a downgrade.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
It is hard to say what your playing needs are. But a 5 ply all wood blade is very useful for many developing players and for up to pretty high levels. Certain all wood blades can help your technique improve and help you learn to spin the ball more.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Hi Eric,
I train at the sports club near the Gia Dinh Hospital in Binh Thanh. I haven't tried any other clubs yet. Right now, I also live in D2.

Hi Chris! I am also in Saigon. I'm surprised I haven't ran in to you before. I'm living in D2. I often play table tennis in Binh Thanh District at Hoang Tan Club or Huong Tram. I also play in An Phu, Phu Nhuan club, and Ti Long Club in Thu Duc. I go around to various clubs in other districts quite often as well. Where do you live in Saigon?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Hi Carl,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I know it's difficult to answer my question. Basically, it's a question of "Do I push through practising with a ALC-type blade or will going with a slower bat make me learn better and faster? But all in all, you put me on the right track!

It is hard to say what your playing needs are. But a 5 ply all wood blade is very useful for many developing players and for up to pretty high levels. Certain all wood blades can help your technique improve and help you learn to spin the ball more.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Sorry, by downgrading I meant going with a slower blade.

I am going through the same develop issues as the OP and the point is to not think of it as downgrading the blade. If you change equipment and your game benefits from it then it is an upgrade. Think of it like pips out rubber. I would always have thought of that as a down grade until it was pointed out to me how many pros play at least one side with pips out.

I doubt I will ever play the type of game where I fall back and lob or counter loop to get back into the point. I stay at the table and live or die as I get returns back or not. I love that type of game and so I am working to find the right combination of fast rubber and all around blade to give me the best results in that strategy. Anything I end up with will not be a downgrade.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
I wish I could ask my teacher, but my Vietnamese is not good enough. I understand your point about the two and a half year, but my development is slower as it is not in my language. I see you are based in the US, so imagine being taught in Chinese. I really like my blade but I do feel that I am not developing the correct techniques.

Nah it's a good blade.
Viscaria-ish.

In any case why not ask your coach. He'll know much better than anyone else.
Training for two and a half years means you shouldn't have any trouble controlling the blade. In theory.
For someone who's a more a beginner I'd probably advise an easy wood blade but... two and a half years? Dunno

Hi Eric,
I train at the sports club near the Gia Dinh Hospital in Binh Thanh. I haven't tried any other clubs yet. Right now, I also live in D2.

Is that on No Tran Long St? It's upstairs in a big sports complex is that correct? I think I've been there one time. If you are living in D2, there is a club behind Mega Market in An Phu. It's not the nicest place ever, but its free and the players are very friendly. Let me know if you wanna play sometime.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Yes, that's correct. I didn't know about the one in An Phu. Although, I will probably move back to Thu Duc in the coming months we can still try to play some balls soon.

Is that on No Tran Long St? It's upstairs in a big sports complex is that correct? I think I've been there one time. If you are living in D2, there is a club behind Mega Market in An Phu. It's not the nicest place ever, but its free and the players are very friendly. Let me know if you wanna play sometime.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Nittaku acoustic or violin are both fine. If you want a slower blade go with a Stiga Arctic wood or Xiom Offensive S.

These are all good suggestions. There are many more. But these are fine. I like the last blade on this list for the balance of quality and price.