Which team do you want to win the World Team Championships?

• Germany

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • China

Votes: 68 55.3%
  • Japan

Votes: 12 9.8%
  • France

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Korea Republic

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Chinese Taipei

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Hong Kong

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Portugal

• Sweden

• Other (Post Below)

Votes: 6 4.9%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
I'm amazed at the gap between the Chinese and the rest. I can only imagine that the top players must
be baffled at how ML,FZD,XX can play so consistently, so many notches above the playing field. It must
be like solving the world's biggest mystery for non-Chinese coaching teams.

This also shows that LGL has instilled enough ability in these players for them to still be successful
without his presence.

Reactions: matzreenzi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2015
Are you thinking Teams or Singles? I am in my mind right now sketching a plan to see the singles in 2019. The teams would be better value but not sure whether I want to go to Korea for this...

I'm probably somewhat agnostic (and might even settle for a good World Tour stop or European Championship) - it does boil down to "will I enjoy Budapest or Korea more for a week-long stay". Decisions, decisions...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Many folks are pointing out that XX was not that good in the final and he is not a big force to reckon with. Hell, even LGL said the same. But he has not only retained his position in CNT , he did extremely well in the whole WTTTC.

It might be true he started out looking rusty in the final but it was not because his skills are going down but the fact he was nervous and not loose enough. Once he overcame his nerves, 3rd/4th set showed the real gap between francizka and him.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
All we need is to wait until XX and ML retire and hope that Timo will still be in a great shape by that time.

This made me laugh. :)

Timo is only 8 years older than ML. :) Of course he will be good for another decade when ML retires. :)

Ilia, your sense of humor is evil. :)

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Many folks are pointing out that XX was not that good in the final and he is not a big force to reckon with. Hell, even LGL said the same. But he has not only retained his position in CNT , he did extremely well in the whole WTTTC.

It might be true he started out looking rusty in the final but it was not because his skills are going down but the fact he was nervous and not loose enough. Once he overcame his nerves, 3rd/4th set showed the real gap between francizka and him.

People aren't giving Franziska credit. It is easy to understand what happened if you note the number of times that Franziska dropped a short return and Xu Xin would wait for the ball to come long but it didn't. Xu Xin was also used to chopping the ball short and against most opponents they didn't have the power to threaten him. Franziska did.

Then later he changed serve strategy and then Franziska started losing the plot as well giving him long balls to the forehand thinking that the deception would make up for putting the ball long. Big mistake.

But no, do not give Xu Xin l the credit. When Franziska lost the plot and Xu Xin also stopped trying to over power him in rallies but started using more spin, then things changed.

It was that match you play against that guy who you always beat, and then you realize you are down and he has improved but you also realize you should still win. So you bring out all your tricks and win but you now know he isn't who he was before.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
But as you say, Korea and Japan are looking good for the next generation. The coming CNT generation also looks good, but not overwhelming like ZJK, XX, ML and FZD. Those four make a golden generation (or generation and a half) that isn't likely to be matched anytime soon.

CNT has raised the bar for everyone including themselves. It's getting harder to dominate. It doesn't happen quickly even for the most talented and skillful players. They have to build a career trajectory that leads to dominance, and this is becoming increasingly difficult with so many more serious challengers to fill the brackets in every tournament.

From Japan there is Harimoto(who else), but who is from Korea?. The only one i can think of is Woojin because he won the Junior Championship, but he is pretty old now.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Yeey! I couldn't watch most of the WTTTC live because of my studies, so now checked the results.... and suddenly Hungary got the gold in 2nd Division! Great news! And next year the WTTC will be held in Budapest! Yeey again!

Btw, is it correct that Young JoungSik used H3 on the FH and some Xiom rubber on the BH?

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
From Japan there is Harimoto(who else), but who is from Korea?. The only one i can think of is Woojin because he won the Junior Championship, but he is pretty old now.

Korea's got top ranked U21 player Lim Jonghoon, Cho Seungmin, promising 16 year old Cho Daeseong, etc.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
Wow! According to Wang Yiwei from Tencent Sports, CNT doesn't have a chopper in Halmstad. So Wang Hao asked Syh Hyowon to practice with FZD before the Men's Team Final.

[video]http://t.cn/Ruk1jGL?m=4236990876547969&u=5777430936[/video]

Last edited:
says In my opinion, hurricane 3 is good. 2 points: "eat the...
says In my opinion, hurricane 3 is good. 2 points: "eat the...
Aug 2012
Ma Long: I miss my son ;)
cache.php

Xu Xin: I love my left hand :)
cache.php

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
Yes indeed ML ZJK XX WH with LGL as coach were simply unbeatable. ZJK's out, XX still does not convince me as a dominator (who knows maybe he will break through but I cant really see it happenign) but franziska also didnt convince me as contender but he gave a good fight. ML even if his body does not respond as it used to is still the best player in the world and if his condition remains steady without any bad injuries we will ahve to wait 3-4 years at least. FZD LJK also do not convince me but they are still young , and the rest of the world talents are also young....so I dont know the future seems more promising compared to the past

Im not saying its gonna happen but the chances are way better now. Still in favor of china of course

Having now seen FZD for real there’s no doubt that he’s the most impressive player I’ve seen. The amount of power he can generate on both wings, how he moves so quickly to each ball and is able to place it almost perfectly each time. He made Filus look like a beginner even though he’s a world class player. I thought kristian karlsson had power and speed, but look at what happened when he played FZD.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
That by itself is an astounding fact. I've come late to reading this and know in the end Xu Xin overcame Patrick Franziska anyway, but here's the thing. When I returned to and recovered my game, there were a lot of opponents I couldn't touch, that seemed invincible to me. But once precisely this happened, when I started to get along in and actually win more and more counterlooping rallies, then that sheen of invincibility suddenly disappeared and I began to realize they just might be within reach.

Not today for Franziska, and maybe not ever against a Xu Xin in prime form. Yet if this is true, things are at least getting from irrelevant territory into comparable, though not yet equal, footing.

The last time they played in the final of WTTC 2014, Franciska could hardly come out on top in counterlooping. XX actually posted on Weibo some time after the final that he's getting old. He actually mentioned that multiple times before. It sounds about right. XX first showed signs of crack in 2016.

Reactions: bobpuls
This user has no status.
It might be true he started out looking rusty in the final but it was not because his skills are going down but the fact he was nervous and not loose enough.
But mainly because Franziska played amazing at times...

Plus everytime someone mentions the young and promising players of other nations like Moregard, Kallberg or Harimoto it is hard for me to imagine that China does not have similar talents. Maybe Harimoto is an exception so far.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Having now seen FZD for real there’s no doubt that he’s the most impressive player I’ve seen. The amount of power he can generate on both wings, how he moves so quickly to each ball and is able to place it almost perfectly each time. He made Filus look like a beginner even though he’s a world class player. I thought kristian karlsson had power and speed, but look at what happened when he played FZD.

YEah but look what happened when FZD played against geraldo from portugal also :)

To be fair, when I said Im not convinced I made the comparison FZD vs ZJK XX ML and ZJK XX ML vs WH WLQ and ma lin

I didnt check the stats thoroughly to be accurate but its just my impression that the previous generation did better against their predecessors in important matches. Trials, chinese national games or champs and of course world competitions

p.s. I know its somehow unfair to compare, just like its pointless to compare ML vs waldner but as a flawed human being I expected him to grow faster...in the end its normal, same thing will happen to harimoto, you cant just improve everything with exponential growth

FZD is probably the best ever when it comes to power looping from both wings. But he is monotonous and lacks fantasy/creativity compared to other top CNT players, raw power does not always wins you the game. In addition he still has some problems when the pace changes suddenly either only that or with placement/tempo combination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hUu49iPXwc

This commentary will give you a hint, the top coach of the world gives some very good insight about FZD's flaws

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
YEah but look what happened when FZD played against geraldo from portugal also :)

To be fair, when I said Im not convinced I made the comparison FZD vs ZJK XX ML and ZJK XX ML vs WH WLQ and ma lin

I didnt check the stats thoroughly to be accurate but its just my impression that the previous generation did better against their predecessors in important matches. Trials, chinese national games or champs and of course world competitions

p.s. I know its somehow unfair to compare, just like its pointless to compare ML vs waldner but as a flawed human being I expected him to grow faster...in the end its normal, same thing will happen to harimoto, you cant just improve everything with exponential growth

FZD is probably the best ever when it comes to power looping from both wings. But he is monotonous and lacks fantasy/creativity compared to other top CNT players, raw power does not always wins you the game. In addition he still has some problems when the pace changes suddenly either only that or with placement/tempo combination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hUu49iPXwc

This commentary will give you a hint, the top coach of the world gives some very good insight about FZD's flaws

Agreed on all points and I've seen that commentary :). I haven't seen the match against Geraldo yet, I'll have to check it to see what happened there.

Of course he has his flaws and I know he's not some unstoppable player by any means. I think you misunderstood what I meant by impressive. He was simply the one who when I saw him play in front of me impressed me the most as I couldn't believe the power he was able to produce. I suppose he was the most visually impressive player. There are lots of other impressive players, of course, but impressive in other ways.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
Agreed on all points and I've seen that commentary :). I haven't seen the match against Geraldo yet, I'll have to check it to see what happened there.

Of course he has his flaws and I know he's not some unstoppable player by any means. I think you misunderstood what I meant by impressive. He was simply the one who when I saw him play in front of me impressed me the most as I couldn't believe the power he was able to produce. I suppose he was the most visually impressive player. There are lots of other impressive players, of course, but impressive in other ways.

no no I understood, I thought ZJK was the best ever in rallies but chubby just rips Buyour best FH or BH rip like its nothing for him. But his attacking prowess sometimes backfires, you dont need to rip everything to win

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2014
Read 3 reviews
no no I understood, I thought ZJK was the best ever in rallies but chubby just rips Buyour best FH or BH rip like its nothing for him. But his attacking prowess sometimes backfires, you dont need to rip everything to win

This is true. I felt that this was also Kristians weakness as he is sometimes too eager to get in and likes to play shots which have a very small margin for error. Jörgen Persson pointed this out too when commentating the swedish matches on tv (brilliant commentator btw).

I thought FZD's match again Ruwen was particularly impressive because as you saw he was patient and waited for the right shots, which he then ripped. Ma Long is a more "clever" player, with more variation etc, as LGL pointed out. ML is impressive in a different way from FZD, to me.