Is there an expiry date for Hurricane rubbers?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2015
Read 8 reviews
Hey guys,

I opened my drawer and found myself a province hurricane rubber, unopened, still in its original zealed package. I would estimate that I got it maybe 2-3 years ago.
Meanwhile my friend who just came back from HK bought me a new province hurricane rubber.
So I am not sure which one I should use, when I change my rubber.

Is there an expiry date for unopened zealed packaged hurricane rubbers? (or any rubbers in general?)

Cheers.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
It might not play as good but I doubt you will feel much of a difference. Ma Long probably would though. You can boost it, it will be fine then :)

Reactions: JeffM
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
This is my advice. Use the newer rubber first rather than waiting till the newer rubber is older. Then use the rubber that has been sitting on the shelf.

H3 has very interesting properties. Here is a story. [emoji2]

So, 7-8 years ago I used to use H3. I have a few old rackets that still have H3 on them. This one particular racket, the topsheet was dead and gone. When I used H3 I used to wear a slick spot in the topsheet where I contacted the ball.

So, this sheet had that area where I contact that was worn slick and performed like antispin.

I use rubber protector sheets on all my rackets. So this racket sat on my shelf for about 3 years without me touching it. And some time before I packed it up, I had put WD40 on the topsheet. That can restore grip to the topsheet. But this topsheet was too far gone.

However, when I opened the racket 3 years later, the topsheet was much more grippy than it ever had been while I was using it. The sponge was harder. But I have a feeling it could have been boosted. But the topsheet was really nice.

So the older H3 may be just fine as long as you boost it when you open it. And as long as the protective plastic sheet that it is sold with, is still covering the topsheet.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Reactions: JeffM