first participation in tabletennis competition

says Do you change your rubber in your same blade (infinity...
says Do you change your rubber in your same blade (infinity...
Jun 2016
Read 6 reviews
Hello TTD members.
I will play in the national men's single competition on the next Friday. my level is upper intermediate(still developing) i want to know your tips in how to play you first competition and how to get a highest results from your performance as a first participation, i have 3 and half a days to prepare intensively, my technique is pushes and looping every long ball, please help.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2016
The most important thing is to play each point on their own. Don't get bogged down if you're down or only need one point to win.

Analyze what serve your opponent is strong against and weak against and exploit it

Don't chicken out. Especially in the first game. Most of the time you're playing BO5. You literally have one set that you can use to try things against opponent's serve and push and getting used to their spin in general.

Having a friend to coach who's on a higher level by a notch or two helps as they take the need of processing tactics of you.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
My best advice is actually to ignore the results, go for your shots and try to have fun. If you are thinking too much about the results you want, that is likely to make you more nervous and to not perform as well as you can.

Don’t look at the ratings of the people you play before the matches. Go into the matches trying to have fun first. And remembering that the reason most of us play this sport is for the enjoyment of playing. The results will come if you can relax and have fun.

With only a few days before the tournament, just keep training as normal. New techniques or training methods will not be helpful for the tournament.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Am i understanding this right that this is the OP's first official tournament he has played in?

If so, excited for you. But I'm guessing there will be some nerves or you might feel like you're playing a little tight. There's no real substitute for tournament experience but to keep playing in multiple tournaments.

So go, have fun. Play within yourself. And by that I mean play your best shots. Sure adjust if something is going horribly wrong for you but I don't really like to experiment or at times plays shots that arn't my strength, even though I wish they were, vs certain things. That's what practice is for. not tournaments.... Hope that made sense.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Am i understanding this right that this is the OP's first official tournament he has played in?

If so, excited for you. But I'm guessing there will be some nerves or you might feel like you're playing a little tight. There's no real substitute for tournament experience but to keep playing in multiple tournaments.

So go, have fun. Play within yourself. And by that I mean play your best shots. Sure adjust if something is going horribly wrong for you but I don't really like to experiment or at times plays shots that arn't my strength, even though I wish they were, vs certain things. That's what practice is for. not tournaments.... Hope that made sense.

This is an excellent post.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Reactions: Ahmad Arnous
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Don't have expectations. I played two times in official (ranking) tournaments so far. First I played surprisingly good, beat a good player in groups, then lost in the first round from a stable but nothing special kid. Then I took a year long break from tournaments and I was excited about my second one. It was terrible, I felt ashamed in the front of my coach. Now I slipped into U21, so I feel I need one more year of training to start going to tournaments. Take it easy and have fun!

Reactions: Ahmad Arnous