Table Tennis Penhold Engagement Survey

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Read 2 reviews
Yeah, but Cazuo is getting old and seems like getting slower. So I think it's all down hill for him. The youngest Jpen player I know so far is Qui Dang (22yo) currently rank around 200. He's also not a traditional Jpen player as he uses RPB on the BH side and doesn't use a 1 ply hinoki blade. I have high hopes for him to, at least, make it to the top 20.

This user has no status.
Apart from changing the ball from 38mm to 40mm and the material change, which greatly reduced spin the ball, one other disadvantages of playing penhold is its reliance on finger strength. In China, most players start training at the age of 6-7. It takes a lot more effort to simply hold on to the racket and complete everyday training at this age using a penhold blade.

Although RPB resolved bh weakness, it gives ph similar crossover point compared to sh. With too little advantages of play ph in current era, I am not seeing ph players taking top spot in the near future (unless ITTF decides to change rules again).

Reactions: genrel001
This user has no status.
Yeah, but Cazuo is getting old and seems like getting slower. So I think it's all down hill for him. The youngest Jpen player I know so far is Qui Dang (22yo) currently rank around 200. He's also not a traditional Jpen player as he uses RPB on the BH side and doesn't use a 1 ply hinoki blade. I have high hopes for him to, at least, make it to the top 20.

I believe Qiu Dang has switched to using CPen in recent years. It fits his play style better.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018

There is also Xue Fei from China. I think he is like 19 or so.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
There is also Xue Fei from China. I think he is like 19 or so.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
Xue Fei was considered by Liu Guoliang the future of penhold 5 years ago.

But over the last few years Xue Fei hasn't developed as well as what people expected. He uses BH most of the time therefore forfeit the advantage of penhold.

He also suffers a weak FH like Wang Hao

Passionate about TT

Reactions: genrel001
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Maybe if they didn't sacked Lui, Xue Fei could have been somewhere in the top 10 right now.

Also RPB dominant players don't the same level of footwork as those FH dominant ones.
People who play safe with dominant BH don't get to the very top. Their games are also not that entertaining.
Just look at Jang Woojin, he plays more like a penholder than Xue Fei. Jang moves a lot to create opportunities for FH power loop.

Wang Hao somehow got a balance between consistent RPB and a strong enough FH. Xue Fei uses just way too much BH and plays too safe.

Passionate about TT

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Read 2 reviews
Agree, Xue Fei is more comparable to Wong Chun Ting than Wang Hao in my opinion. Both XF and WCT play with too much BH, heck there are even times when the ball is the FH side yet they will still move around just to hit it with the RPB.

I believe RPB is somehow misused by today's modern PH-ers (except XX). They always try to get the ball with RPB even when TPB is the best option, e.g. blocking. I miss Ma Lin, he's got the perfect balance between TPB and RPB in my opinion.

Reactions: jbvttcc
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2018
I was told by another coach to switch to shakehand and I found it more natural. Today’s coach asked me to choose either one that makes me feel better and I’m switching to shakehand permanently. I guess it’s also very easy to do as a newbie. So goodbye Penhold for now.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Agree, Xue Fei is more comparable to Wong Chun Ting than Wang Hao in my opinion. Both XF and WCT play with too much BH, heck there are even times when the ball is the FH side yet they will still move around just to hit it with the RPB.

I believe RPB is somehow misused by today's modern PH-ers (except XX). They always try to get the ball with RPB even when TPB is the best option, e.g. blocking. I miss Ma Lin, he's got the perfect balance between TPB and RPB in my opinion.
Yeah I miss Ma Lin's game. He was not the most powerful, but he had great tactics and found the perfect balance between FH, RPB and traditional blocks

Passionate about TT

says Footwork footwork footwork
Does anyone confuse themselves when thinking between RPB or TBH? Or do you guys have a certain area where if you see the ball coming (e.g. low Center that you automatically go for the TBH punch block, or higher spinnier slightly outside your center on your backhand side that you automatically go for a RPB loop) you know what to do?

Sometimes I get totally flipped in my head and just completely miss or my timing is delayed. I feel like I have more success being aggressive on my BH side with RPB than TBH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2018
Hi all. My first post.. I am penholder, started with TPB but fully converted to RPB. In Singapore, there are more penholders player for players above 40 years old. So, I actually play with penholder more often than shakehand but younger player mostly shakehand.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Read 3 reviews
Hi all. My first post.. I am penholder, started with TPB but fully converted to RPB. In Singapore, there are more penholders player for players above 40 years old. So, I actually play with penholder more often than shakehand but younger player mostly shakehand.

Welcome to TT daily. Great to have another penholder around!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2020
hello everyone! I'm new on ttdaily forum, I decided to sign in mainly cause I was looking for a PH community.

It's about 2 years I'm playing tt and just switched to PH during covid quarantine stop: I was messing with the PH grip with a friend and found I loved it! As some users already wrote I think that with PH improves the quality of your fh (speed and spin) and literally teaches you one of the key of this game: play relaxed.

Since I switched from SH I found natural to use the RPB grip. The main issue I'm having with this grip is an awful middle finger pain. In the first week I had index pain either, but solved it sanding my bat. The middle finger pain is still there. I'm trying both XX and WCT grip but it's like I have to chose between fh quality (XX grip with 3 straight fingers on the bh side) and finger confort (middle finger slightly bent and curved at around 2 o'clock).
The bh doesn't give me any problem since i hold the bat pressing index and middle finger with the thumb adjusting the racket angle so no pressure on the middle finger in that stroke; but on the fh I just can't close the bat enough if I don't press with the middle finger and it hurts! :(

Do you have any advice?

Last edited:
Reactions: violoniste18