Question for Blade-Builders

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
A few new blades I've recently completed:

Blade 3 (105g):
Blade Composition: AlaskanYellowCedar - Carbon/Kevlar - BlackLimba - Kiri(core) - BlackLimba - Carbon/Kevlar - AlaskanYellowCedar
Handle: Osage Orange, Alaskan Yellow Cedar, Walnut

Blade%203%20-%20Full%20Blade.JPG

Blade%203%20-%20Side%20Handle1.JPG

Blade%203%20-%20Butt.JPG

This has to be a rocket ship. Looks awesome.

• Love
Reactions: Nate4s and Lazer
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
I hear just about now that nate4s has strapped several of these blades to the back of an amphibious creature that is capable of traveling the seas and riverways south towards one of the crackpot csi surveillance hideout shacks... which means there is a good chance testing by this Friday might be possible.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Nate4s
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2021
Nate4s; 327925Mas,

tôi nghĩ rằng các lưỡi Textreme ZLC cảm thấy tốt hơn nhiều so với các lưỡi ALC mà tôi đã làm. Cả hai sợi ALC và ZLC mà tôi đã sử dụng đều được kết dính bằng cách sử dụng một loại epoxy dẻo hơn - các lưỡi ALC chơi tốt nhưng có âm thanh / rung rỗng mà mọi người phát hiện ra khi đánh bóng (giống như một quả bóng vợt màu tím tươi bật ra khỏi tường sân bóng vợt ). Các lưỡi ZLC có độ cứng tương đương với ALC nhưng độ rung và cảm giác (và âm thanh) tốt hơn nhiều so với các lưỡi ZLC.

Mặc dù tôi đã không tập luyện hơn 6 tháng (do COVID đóng cửa mọi cơ hội chơi tại địa phương), tôi cảm thấy mình không yêu cầu bất kỳ điều chỉnh kỹ thuật nào đối với cốt vợt ZLC-trong mà tôi đã thực hiện, so với 7 -cây gỗ đơn mà tôi thường chơi với. Lưỡi dao bên ngoài của ZLC nhanh hơn một chút và cần khoảng 5 phút để điều chỉnh (các cú đánh mạnh tay kéo dài hơn dự kiến), nhưng sau khi được làm nóng lên, tôi thực sự đánh giá cao cảm giác trực tiếp, sắc nét. Có quá nhiều biến số gây nhiễu để nói nếu nó chỉ là ZLC được chuyển sang lớp bên ngoài chịu trách nhiệm cho sự khác biệt về tốc độ và cảm giác, vì nó cũng là lưỡi kiếm duy nhất mà tôi từng chế tạo bằng cách sử dụng cả hai (bên cạnh lõi ) và kiso hinoki (lớp ngoài). Tôi đã nhận được một lượng nhỏ Kiso Hinoki và Ayous trong một chuyến buôn bán vật liệu vài tháng trở lại đây từ nhà sản xuất lưỡi dao AfroBro của Vương quốc Anh, vì vậy nó '

Chào bạn, keo dẻo hoặc keo cứng đều có thể làm cho phiến sợi bên trong có tác dụng phóng hơn? (với sợi zlc, alc, kevlar). Tks!

Last edited:
says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
They call this thermo`tritment CARBONIZATION OF WOODLOGS. at 350 Celsius degree, insulated processing chamber deep vacuum ambient.. Yinhe MC-30 is the best famous representative/

Reactions: bobpuls
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2023
Hey blademakers :),

I see many great posts about people creating blades and it got me motivated to make my own blades (quite addicting :unsure:;)).

my current blade is a Limba - Limba - aramid/carbon - obeeche/ayous - aramid/carbon - Limba - Limba, weight 96g abit on the heavier side. Handle is made of smoked Oak with a touch of Bubinga. the reason for the weight is that i didn't hollow out the handle 😅 .

Link to picture of the blade: https://postimg.cc/G8zcB5h8

In my quest to become a better blade make i do have som questions (warning questions might be obvious to you guys 😅):
  1. PU vs PVA glue, currently i use PVA glue but i seems that many uses PU glue why and what brand of PU glue would you recommed same goes for epoxy? currently i use z-epoxy but i would like bigger batches though.
  2. currenly i use andro sealer and i could emagine that it is very expensive. what sealer/finish for both blade head and handle do you guys use?
  3. How do you guys press your veneer and why? i currently have a cheap vacuum bag and a bindingpress for books, i have tried both and it seems that both works just fine.
  4. Last but not least how do you guys avoid glue bleed through?
I hope that you guys have the time to help a green hobbyist blademaker, have a great evening everyone.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Hello,

Please, does anyone know what would be the properties of a 5 ply blade with walnut as external ply and hinoki as medial ply? I don’t know for the core, maybe kiri or ayous. And what rubbers to pair (inverted, pips with sponge or no sponge?). And for game would it be more suitable (defense chopping, loop, block) (mid distance, close to the table)

Thanks

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
What is the answer here? What tasks does the author set for himself, what type of blade does he want to get - attacking or defensive, rigid or flexible? If there are some materials and you need to make something out of them, then you need to take it and do it and look at the result.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2022
In which of these two cases would the resulting blade be stiffer:
case 1 - a construction with a 3,0mm core of a specific wood, for example Ayous
case 2 - same construction but 3 layers of the same specific wood adding up to the same thickness of 3,0mm instead of one ply as a core

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
In which of these two cases would the resulting blade be stiffer:
case 1 - a construction with a 3,0mm core of a specific wood, for example Ayous
case 2 - same construction but 3 layers of the same specific wood adding up to the same thickness of 3,0mm instead of one ply as a core
Case 2

Reactions: Ergosquare
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
Would that depend on how the grains are positioned?
Yes, it will be important. If all three layers are located longitudinally, or two layers longitudinally and one layer transversely, then the rigidity will be higher than that of one layer of the same thickness, by the way, Donic Persson Power Play and its clones, which are very popular, are built on this principle. If two layers are arranged transversely and one layer longitudinally, the flexibility of the blade will increase, when compared with a single layer of the same thickness, located longitudinally

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2011
Yes, it will be important. If all three layers are located longitudinally, or two layers longitudinally and one layer transversely, then the rigidity will be higher than that of one layer of the same thickness, by the way, Donic Persson Power Play and its clones, which are very popular, are built on this principle. If two layers are arranged transversely and one layer longitudinally, the flexibility of the blade will increase, when compared with a single layer of the same thickness, located longitudinally
Sorry but this is not correct. A single layer is stiffer than any of the other combinations. If all three layers are oriented vertically then the difference is negligible, but it also depends on the glue used. There is really no benefit for this type of structure unless you are using a different wood for the central layer. However, if the center layer is horizontal, you lose longitudinal stiffness and gain transverse stiffness, so case 1 is stiffer than case 2. Case 2 will feel more homogeneous than 1.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2023
Sorry but this is not correct. A single layer is stiffer than any of the other combinations. If all three layers are oriented vertically then the difference is negligible, but it also depends on the glue used. There is really no benefit for this type of structure unless you are using a different wood for the central layer. However, if the center layer is horizontal, you lose longitudinal stiffness and gain transverse stiffness, so case 1 is stiffer than case 2. Case 2 will feel more homogeneous than 1.
Sergio, layers of glue affect the rigidity of the blade. If you assemble three longitudinal layers, for example, with epoxy glue, this will significantly increase rigidity.
Do this experiment - take a sheet of cardboard and apply a layer of glue on top and bottom, will the cardboard become stiffer than cardboard without glue? It will become significant.
Then continue the experiment - connect two layers of cardboard with glue and compare with cardboard of the same thickness as two layers of cardboard and a layer of glue. What will be tougher? How about three layers? How about four?

Last edited: