ESN generation

Hi all,

I have read a number of times on this forum about different generations of ESN rubber and how the new ones are designed to be spinner.

What interests me is how to identify these new generation rubbers? Is it something by year of release for example and if so, where would this information be found?

Thanks in advance.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
Is it something by year of release for example and if so, where would this information be found?

Unfortunately, this has become impossible to answer.

In the early days of Tensor, most of the German made Rubbers were released by the companies quite simultaneously.

This is still the case, if you take the new technology of thin topsheets and even thicker sponge - andro came first, Donic and Tibhar followed, Joola came several months later and GEWO will be introducing their Version of this technology soon.

However, rubbers based on different - sometimes earlier, sometimes parallel - technologies appeared and keep appearing. The new XIOM Omega rubbers for example are something different. And there are also older technologies (I´d presume) given to late adopters of Tensor, for example TSP released the fairly standard and cheap Ventus series when the new generation (Evolution, bluefire, Rasant at that point) was all the rage.

Surely ESN are cooking with a few different recipes, but at the end of the day it doesn´t matter which technology the rubber is based on if you like it.

It was this comment posted in another thread last week by upsidedownCarl that got me asking....

As long as you know that Vega Pro and Europe are older generation ESN rubbers they are great for people who need more control but won't give as much spin. So they are excellent for someone who is going from a classic rubber like Mark V to their first tensor type rubber. But they don't have the kind of spin capabilities of newer ESN rubbers. As long as you know those details, Vega Pro and Europe are good choices. But if you wanted spin capabilities closer to Rasanter or Baracuda, you may want to consider something else

This is still the case, if you take the new technology of thin topsheets and even thicker sponge - andro came first, Donic and Tibhar followed, Joola came several months later and GEWO will be introducing their Version of this technology soon.
Do any of the budget brands do this for something that might be around £20 per sheet?

To be honest I'd like to try tenergy 05fx to see if the spin capabilities are as good as is rumoured, but I don't have the budget and why I buy Yinhe when I buy blades.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
I've been playing with DHS rubbers as a cheaper solution. Boosted, tin arc 5 soft plays very similarly to bluefire m2. It's meant to be based on tenergy, and it's not really comparable, but it's 15-20 a pop. I also highly rate skyline 3-60, but it's tacky so a whole other world. The goldarcs are probably what I will try next, gold arc 8 is ESN after all...

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
The rubbers that have been on the market for years that are from ESN are generally what I was referring to as older generation ESN rubbers.

The newest ones, Airoc referred to with the thinner topsheet and thicker sponge.

And even though, at this point the Evolution series is not new, I still would not classify it as older generation like Hexer, Baracuda, Coppa, Nimbus.

But if what you are looking for is something less expensive you should probably look at the Chinese imitations of tensor rubbers like Dawei Inspirit, Air Illumina or Gambler as examples. But there are lots of rubbers in that class that cost anywhere from $6.00-$28.00.

They are inexpensive and pretty decent.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Last edited:
Reactions: TTHopeful
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Without boring you with the messy history of ESN rubbers, the wave that has become known for its spin quality and helped ESN reshape the impression of Tensor(good for speed only), is widely regarded as the 4th-generation(Andro's description for Hexer), 4G in short.

The year was late 2009. Andro Hexer, Donic Baracuda and Tibhar Genius were among the 1st wave, closely followed by Joola Xplode, Nittaku Fastarc G1, Xiom Vega Pro, Yasaka Rakza 7 and others. They are easy to spot. Simply look for the porous sponge, which is an imitation of Tenergy spring sponge.

According to Xiom China in 2017, Tensor is already up to 7G.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Without boring you with the messy history of ESN rubbers, the wave that has become known for its spin quality and helped ESN reshape the impression of Tensor(good for speed only), is widely regarded as the 4th-generation(Andro's description for Hexer), 4G in short.

The year was late 2009. Andro Hexer, Donic Baracuda and Tibhar Genius were among the 1st wave, closely followed by Joola Xplode, Nittaku Fastarc G1, Xiom Vega Pro, Yasaka Rakza 7 and others. They are easy to spot. Simply look for the porous sponge, which is an imitation of Tenergy spring sponge.

Great post.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2010
Read 19 reviews

Great post. How do they make pro version of the evolution rubbers for Vladimir Samsonov? Why don't they sell this rubber to the market?

The rubbers that have been on the market for years that are from ESN are generally what I was referring to as older generation ESN rubbers.

The newest ones, Airoc referred to with the thinner topsheet and thicker sponge.

And even though, at this point the Evolution series is not new, I still would not classify it as older generation like Hexer, Baracuda, Coppa, Nimbus.

But if what you are looking for is something less expensive you should probably look at the Chinese imitations of tensor rubbers like Dawei Inspirit, Air Illumina or Gambler as examples. But there are lots of rubbers in that class that cost anywhere from $6.00-$28.00.

They are inexpensive and pretty decent.

Thanks Carl, I will look out for these :)

Fantastic background thank you and not boring in the least. I like knowledge and understanding rather than knowing just because somebody said so!! :)
I don't suppose there is anything that shows the generation like you get on mobile carriers?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
Great post. How do they make pro version of the evolution rubbers for Vladimir Samsonov? Why don't they sell this rubber to the market?

Well, like with other high level sports equipment there are several factors to watch, and some don´t go in unison. With rubbers, you cannot have maximum performance with acceptable durability. Pro versions therefore are for players who can (and must) change their rubbers every few days, if not daily.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
I don't suppose there is anything that shows the generation like you get on mobile carriers?

No, there isn´t.

You also have to keep in mind that the development is not 100 % straight in terms of more spin or more speed. There are several parallel recipes.
For example, Tibhar released the Quantum series after Evolution, but rather than extending the possibilities even further, Quantum was a whole different thing: an easier to play rubber for every level, rather than an even spinnier/faster/better Evolution.
The new Aurus Rubbers do follow the newest ESN recipe, but while every other company chose a new product line (andro even giving up Rasant for Rasanter), Tibhar didn´t even think to release this technology as an extension of the Evolution range, but released it under the name of a fairly old series of rubbers.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.

According to a reliable source, I was told that top100 WR Tibhar players can get Harder Evolutions. They get harder MX-P's, perhaps this is what the Evolution national that Tibhar CN sells.