• Join our newsletter: 
  • Welcome Guest


    Results 1 to 16 of 16
    1. Top | #1
      Tian is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: South Africa


      Join Date
      Apr 2018
      Posts
      7
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

      Penholders! Any advice?

      I have recently changed my grip to the reverse penhold backhand. It's a difficult transition but I definitely prefer the grip and enjoy the game more. There are absolutely no penholders in any club near me, so I was wondering if any of you guys got some general advice, tips and so on on any part of the game?
      I am also a beginner table tennis player.

      Thanks bros!

    2. Top | #2
      jamesmith is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      Established TTD Member Country: Hong Kong


      Join Date
      Sep 2016
      Posts
      182
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 95 Times in 57 Posts
      I played Shake hand and Penhold, I can tell you some about penhold.You can also find a lot video on you tube.
      Pls tell me what you want to know about Penhold. There are two styles , old and new style, new one is using back hand like shakehand attack. I have been told by Chinese coach, we should decide to use one, it is not easy to use both old style and new style during the game. Normally, Penhold forehand is the main weapon, footwork is important. Back hand blocking is fast and can put back spin one it. I enjoy playing both style but I play much better with Penhold. I like to discuss with you anytime.

    3. Top | #3
      Ranger-man is online now
      says Are you the ping to my pong?
       
      Established TTD Member Country: Pakistan
      Ranger-man's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade Darker Speed 90 10mm
      Forehand Rubber Dawwei IQUL 40

      Join Date
      Apr 2018
      Location
      Pakistan
      Posts
      101
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 83 Times in 52 Posts
      Welcome to the forum and to penhold Tian! And I think it is great that you are trying to get out of the blocks with a focus on RPB. I play traditional backhand but I do believe that RPB is the way to go. It opens up options that are just not there with the old way. James is right that forehand is the main weapon and you will need to work on fast footwork because you will want to use that forehand whenever possible.

      Your serves can be a very potent weapon with penhold because of the range of wrist movement you get.

      My main bit of advice to you would be to work on your blocking. Blocking, especially on the backhand or in front of the body is another important aspect of penhold play and you will want to develop that too. It is a block, so that makes it a defensive stroke, but I feel that if used properly, with placement the block can be a potent weapon. Just watch some Waldner videos to see what I mean. I feel I get as many points from placement as I do from forehand kills.

      As an extension of this we have the push block, where you engage in the pushing game with the opponent. Again, you want to be able to become so consistent with this that you start to focus on placement to gain the advantage.

      This is close to one of my favorite aspects of the game, along with serves.

    4. Top | #4
      mky is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: UK


      Join Date
      Aug 2016
      Posts
      27
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 24 Times in 19 Posts

    5. The Following User Likes mky's Post:

      Ranger-man (3 Weeks Ago)

    6. Top | #5
      Ranger-man is online now
      says Are you the ping to my pong?
       
      Established TTD Member Country: Pakistan
      Ranger-man's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade Darker Speed 90 10mm
      Forehand Rubber Dawwei IQUL 40

      Join Date
      Apr 2018
      Location
      Pakistan
      Posts
      101
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 83 Times in 52 Posts
      The backhand in table tennis is a more natural motion so you will see that a lot of recreational players or amateurs have better backhands than their forehands. In fact you will see that often many of these players only use backhands for almost very return.

      The dynamics of when to hit the ball are also different for backhand and forehand. In penhold the backhand is usually best when you take the ball before it hits peak height off the bounce. On the forehand it is best to take the ball at the peak of the bounce. Arm speed is always a factor so that you can make the ball dip.

      Your equipment is also a factor. The blade and rubbers you are using will also have an impact on the arc of the ball once you have looped it.

      We have many experienced players on this forum, including penholders and maybe some info about the equipment you use could help them in trying to guide you.

    7. Top | #6
      Tian is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: South Africa


      Join Date
      Apr 2018
      Posts
      7
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by jamesmith View Post
      I played Shake hand and Penhold, I can tell you some about penhold.You can also find a lot video on you tube.
      Pls tell me what you want to know about Penhold. There are two styles , old and new style, new one is using back hand like shakehand attack. I have been told by Chinese coach, we should decide to use one, it is not easy to use both old style and new style during the game. Normally, Penhold forehand is the main weapon, footwork is important. Back hand blocking is fast and can put back spin one it. I enjoy playing both style but I play much better with Penhold. I like to discuss with you anytime.
      Hi! THANKS James
      I play the modern style, with the backhand similar to the shakehand attack. Sometimes I find it is potent to block with the traditional style, but only when under pressure. At this stage, strangely, my forehand struggles. I feel comfortable with the backhand attack, but for some reason when I play matches my forehand shots are too long. Something else I have been struggling with since day one is serve returns and deciding when to attack amd when to push on the backhand returns.

    8. Top | #7
      Tian is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: South Africa


      Join Date
      Apr 2018
      Posts
      7
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
      I have seen this but haven't gotten to watching it. Probably no one better to take advice from. Thanks!

    9. Top | #8
      Tian is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: South Africa


      Join Date
      Apr 2018
      Posts
      7
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Ranger-man View Post
      The backhand in table tennis is a more natural motion so you will see that a lot of recreational players or amateurs have better backhands than their forehands. In fact you will see that often many of these players only use backhands for almost very return.

      The dynamics of when to hit the ball are also different for backhand and forehand. In penhold the backhand is usually best when you take the ball before it hits peak height off the bounce. On the forehand it is best to take the ball at the peak of the bounce. Arm speed is always a factor so that you can make the ball dip.

      Your equipment is also a factor. The blade and rubbers you are using will also have an impact on the arc of the ball once you have looped it.

      We have many experienced players on this forum, including penholders and maybe some info about the equipment you use could help them in trying to guide you.
      Makes alot of sense! I will look into that as well as continue with forehand and footwork drills. Thanks!

    10. Top | #9
      Suzann is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: Great Britain


      Join Date
      Apr 2018
      Location
      1739 Woodhill Avenue Hanover, MD 21076
      Posts
      6
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
      I'm passing on to get my hands on one of Rodger's slanted pen holders – gotta stamp my schedule! While I'm pausing, one of my holders, an unmatched diagonal, wouldn't appear to like to take any nib at all. I can't fit any nib between the two sides of the "overlap" in the rib. Is there some sort of procedure to pry open the spine on another holder that I am absent?

    11. Top | #10
      Andyzhao123 is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: United States

      Equipment:
      Blade Stiga Allround Classic ALL
      Forehand Rubber DHS Skyline 3 TG
      Backhand Rubber Neottec Katana

      Join Date
      Oct 2017
      Posts
      51
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
      For a beginner penhold table tennis player, I recommend getting a Chinese style forehand rubber (I use Skyline TG3), and a medium-high throw angle with medium sponge backhand rubber (I recommend 729 Focus 1).

    12. Top | #11
      Tian is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: South Africa


      Join Date
      Apr 2018
      Posts
      7
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Andyzhao123 View Post
      For a beginner penhold table tennis player, I recommend getting a Chinese style forehand rubber (I use Skyline TG3), and a medium-high throw angle with medium sponge backhand rubber (I recommend 729 Focus 1).
      Thanks I haven't looked into specific rubbers, I appreciate it.

    13. The Following User Likes Tian's Post:

      Andyzhao123 (2 Weeks Ago)

    14. Top | #12
      Ranger-man is online now
      says Are you the ping to my pong?
       
      Established TTD Member Country: Pakistan
      Ranger-man's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade Darker Speed 90 10mm
      Forehand Rubber Dawwei IQUL 40

      Join Date
      Apr 2018
      Location
      Pakistan
      Posts
      101
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 83 Times in 52 Posts
      I agree about the rubbers. Not sure what my choices would be like for you so they are not recommendations but just sharing. I love the 729 Super FX and the Dawei IQUL. The latter is less tacky but still much tackier than Euro rubbers.

    15. Top | #13
      Andyzhao123 is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: United States

      Equipment:
      Blade Stiga Allround Classic ALL
      Forehand Rubber DHS Skyline 3 TG
      Backhand Rubber Neottec Katana

      Join Date
      Oct 2017
      Posts
      51
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
      729 is a Chinese brand, but the sponge hardness on Focus 1 is around medium, so it's good for backhand.
      Last edited by Andyzhao123; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:16 AM.

    16. Top | #14
      yoass is offline
      says modestly attempting kōhaiship
      of Jeul-Tak
       
      Senior TTD Member Country: Netherlands
      yoass's Avatar
      Equipment:
      Blade Vanity One (D.A.b Studio Custom)
      Forehand Rubber Butterfly Tenergy 05 (1.9)
      Backhand Rubber Gewo Nanoflex FT48 (1.9)

      Join Date
      Jan 2017
      Location
      Tiel, The Netherlands
      Posts
      778
      Reviews
      Read 5 Reviews
      Liked 815 Times in 432 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by Andyzhao123 View Post
      729 is a Chinese brand, but its sponge hardness is around medium, so it's good for backhand.
      The red (orange sponge) is medium hard, but the black (blue sponge) is hard.

      It used to be tacky a few decades ago, but last time I tried a few slabs they weren’t. Couldn’t lift a ball with it even when new.

    17. Top | #15
      Andyzhao123 is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: United States

      Equipment:
      Blade Stiga Allround Classic ALL
      Forehand Rubber DHS Skyline 3 TG
      Backhand Rubber Neottec Katana

      Join Date
      Oct 2017
      Posts
      51
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
      The Focus 1 on the backhand on one of my rackets has a black topsheet and a white sponge. I got it last summer while I was in China. It's tacky, but not as much as a Hurricane. Some 729 rubbers have a blue sponge or orange sponge, like the Super FX blue sponge, but not all of them do.

    18. Top | #16
      Andyzhao123 is offline
      This user has no status.
       
      TTD Member Country: United States

      Equipment:
      Blade Stiga Allround Classic ALL
      Forehand Rubber DHS Skyline 3 TG
      Backhand Rubber Neottec Katana

      Join Date
      Oct 2017
      Posts
      51
      Reviews
      Read 0 Reviews
      Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
      Quote Originally Posted by yoass View Post
      The red (orange sponge) is medium hard, but the black (blue sponge) is hard.

      It used to be tacky a few decades ago, but last time I tried a few slabs they weren’t. Couldn’t lift a ball with it even when new.
      Sorry, I wasn't specific on the rubber. I edited my post.

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  
    Log in or Register
    BACK TO TOP