Intensive table tennis training in Tokyo or Osaka

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Hi
Does anyone know if there is any (1 or 2 weeks) intensive table tennis training in either Tokyo or Osaka. I am an intermediate player but can only speak limited Japanese. Thanks.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
Maybe English speaking coach. And for footwork I usually don't need advice, I just have to do the drills..

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Read 6 reviews
this club was recommended already few times on this forum, but You should definitelly check upty table tennis club in Tokyo.
I actually worked there as coach twice already. The main coach is a former Japanese National team member and even Mizutani called him a "geniues that he thought he could never beat" in one of the tv documentaries. There is also a 2nd great coach that was actually Mizutani's classmate at university.

The main coach (Ryusuke Sakamoto) can speak pretty well.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
this club was recommended already few times on this forum, but You should definitelly check upty table tennis club in Tokyo.
I actually worked there as coach twice already. The main coach is a former Japanese National team member and even Mizutani called him a "geniues that he thought he could never beat" in one of the tv documentaries. There is also a 2nd great coach that was actually Mizutani's classmate at university.

Thanks so much. It is very useful information. : )

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015

Sakamoto is former national doubles champion and a brilliant coach too.
It'd be pretty hard to find a better coach in Tokyo.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
i confirm. I've been training for a while with Sakamoto and I can't think of a better coach in Tokyo available for amateurs. He's not cheap though.
You can train at the same facility with his assistant Kitamura, he's a very good coach too.

Else you can try www.lilisc.com they have younger coaches with different play styles and its a bit cheaper. but no English and they are very far from being ex world class players.

My thinking is if you can afford the plane ticket to Japan, just save a little bit more to afford Sakamoto at least a few sessions...

be careful: no shower at those two places but there are sentos (public baths with sauna) at a walking distance (30 meters from lilisc, and 5mns walk from Upty)

Last edited:
Reactions: Vrael and ttpshot
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2016
there are no affordable options. If you want a quality coach, you have to pay him the market rate.
For around 5,500 yens / hour you can already have a good coach. rate can go up to 8,000 yens/hour for top coaches.

UPTY doesn't exist anymore.
a lot of good coaches have departed from LILI, and the school itself has also split in 2. I can still recommend the main coach MURATA but his schedule is busy and his rate is a bit more expensive.

you have many good coaches and availability at Yoyo Takkyu https://www.yoyo-takkyu.com/ including some former JNT female players (WAKAMIYA, FUJII, ISHIGAKI)

I can also recommend HIRAYA who plays sometimes in Bundesliga, if you want to play with a chopper. he is in Shakehands, https://www.shands.jp/club/services. Bonus: he will provide a short video after the lesson to recapitulate, and there is a shower (pay extra) at his club.

Its not very central, you can also go to Ariake to play with Coach Hidetoshi OYA, a former JNT player
https://seiyatts-ariake.com/ . Sometimes , during holidays or long weekends they organize all-day or multiday training sessions for groups. I think its worth it because the players who go there are motivated and good.

I don't recommend group lessons in private schools in Japan. The level is not so high and you got very little time with the coach. I think 1 hour of private lesson is worth many hours of group lessons.

I can also recommend playing in tournaments !!! there are round-robin tournaments, no elimination at p4match.com

Otherwise if you want to train but you're cheap, just go to a Local Sports Center, and find partners !