Timo Boll talks about his equipment

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
I'm surprised to not see any thread about this as it's an EJ's wet dream :rolleyes:

On Timo's webcoaching blog he released a video talking about his preparation for the World Team Championships:

In this video he talks and even shows his Tenergy rubbers, that he will glue on 4 blades, which he brought with him:

timoboll-tenergy05-wheight.jpg

Here he shows a Tengergy for his forehand weighing 99,6g and talks about his backhand rubber weighing around 93g or 94g.

Interestingly he talks about how he's going to be testing his 4 rackets in the match hall and then deciding with which racket he will play the tournament and that in bigger halls he prefers softer rubbers as he prefers getting a little bit of "help"/catapult effect from the rubber and that he plays harder rubbers (he brought up to 104g for his forehand) in smaller halls.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2015
His english is very good, why would he not do these type of videos in english? Would give him a much bigger audience (or both english and german).

Anyway would a heavier tenergy 05 automatically be harder?
Also is 95-100gram for tenergy 05 normal? I don't play with it but that sounds very heavy, I thought most rubbers were around 65-70grams or so.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Anyway would a heavier tenergy 05 automatically be harder?
Also is 95-100gram for tenergy 05 normal? I don't play with it but that sounds very heavy, I thought most rubbers were around 65-70grams or so.

1. Usually yes
2. 95 - 100 gr. in this case means incl. the package.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
New video after their first team match against Egypt:

At 5:56 he talks about that he will switch his forehand rubber to a rubber which is 1g lighter to get more catapult effect from the softer rubber and more "push" in the open exchanges.

Amazing stuff, switching his rubber because of such a low weight difference and here I thought I was an EJ :D

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
I almost sure, he just turned his rocket

I don't see why would he do that. Unfortunately I couldn't find a good resolution image about his racket, but H3 on BH doesn't make any sense, unless it's a softer sponge version designed for the BH (for example Ma Long uses - or used - orange sponge H3 on his BH). Of course, this doesn't proves anything, however Zhang Jike also used T05 on his FH side for a short period.
https://www.tabletennisdaily.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=14675&d=1510590299