North- and South Korea to combine teams in Halmstad!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
Doing so would undermine the "one country, two systems" promise. That promise is paramount in recovering(liberating in Mao's term) Taiwan from Beijing's perspective.

"Unified" is not the best word here. "Returned" is the official term used by UK and China. Hong Kong was never recognized as a country during its British colonial era, which is why it's totally different from North/South Korea, both of which are recognized as countries.

As I just wrote, multiple associations from one nation is a common occurence in other sports. Puerto Rico is a US territory, yet the US and Puerto Rico field thier own teams.

It wouldn't matter if Hong Kong could beat China or not, representing the region is all that matters, an exercise of a right granted by the law.

So Puerto Rico and US should get together
Having Diaz and Zhang added together would strengthen them a lot

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2013
Read 3 reviews
I think if ITTF could of made 2 x Unified Korea teams

with half players from NK and half player from SK per team
and let the "mix teams" compete in the scheduled QF

A) players can watch schedule match
B) best team progress - 5 players max per team

But then again if few ITTF members are not happy of this, what authority does ITTF have to decided these matters.
Does the ITTF President have power to decide this, or does this go to the board for votes?

Again, its good gesture, but there is legality issues with such decision making and would therefore undermine rules of the tournament and maybe constitution of the ITTF

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
In the ITTF press conference, ITTF said they haven't determined the rules like which players can be selected in the next match. They just did it.
What a joke and what a show...

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
RULES DICTATE AS FOLLOWS: NOT PLAYING A MATCH SHALL ENTAIL DISQUALIFICATION FROM COMPETITION.

This morning, North and South both refused to play the 1/4 match as scheduled, and, according to the Rules Book, they both must be withdrawn from the event.. This is the Rule of table tennis, now still in force. See the Rule clause of "Presentation".

Again, every National Team participating here in Halmstad did make a writen pledge that they keep up all the Rules and Fair Play. It is a solemn pledge obligatory to all the participants. Yes.
South and North "unification" action is a gross profanation of the Rules, indeed.

So then, North and South both must be excluded from the event, and Japan must progress walkover to Final.

National Umpire/

Last edited:
This user has no status.
I'd note that Thomas Weikert is old enough, to remember when Germany was split in two with a fortified border between communist and capitalist halves, and to remember the fall of the Berlin wall and the reunification.

So not surprising the Germans will have strong feelings and a soft spot about this situation.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2017
don't worry , Japan will crush them :)
Maybe, which would be a bit embarrassing. Bad timing, we just united our teams and then proceeded to lose. Sounds wrong. I'd rather see them reach the final, but Japan has a strong team. (I have nothing against the Japanese team either, if anything they are generally among the more entertaining teams, especially against CNT.)

On a side note, lol at the whining and bitching. O my gawd what does the rule book say? Without being naive about ITTF's motives either, that's still a pretty lame point to argue.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
The ITTF saw it as a way to get media attention across all news networks.
This.

However, only 3 players can be selected to play a match. Do you pick 2 from S. Korea and 1 from N. Korea or the other way around. Whichever country gets only 1 player selected to play will be offended and immediately war will be declared for the insult.

This user has no status.
They interviewed the Japanese players who said they were surprised and that the unified team would be even stronger but they are excited about the challenge. They don’t seem angry at all and I believe they’re too young to have much interest in politics

Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Ishikawa said to Chinese CCTV journalist that it has happened and players have to accept it. She has to be herself and will try her best to play.
She also wrote her weibo in Chinese, better myself and keep fighting tomorrow.
I don't see she is angry but not excited as well.

Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2015
Did I hear correctly that ITTF announced ML and FZD would play on the women's team in the next round? And that Japan and Germany were going to join forces to commemorate their alliance from a bygone era?

That probably is not right, did a Google search, didn't find anything to corroborate your hearing