North- and South Korea to combine teams in Halmstad!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
I'd note that Thomas Weikert is old enough, to remember when Germany was split in two with a fortified border between communist and capitalist halves, and to remember the fall of the Berlin wall and the reunification.

So not surprising the Germans will have strong feelings and a soft spot about this situation.

Do not overestimate the size of that soft spot. Quite a few people in Germany do not have that spot (any longer)...the ones that still have it, might have some feelings about it, but not all of them are positive feelings/emotions...
As for Weikert: No comment...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2013
A little correction here. Korea was not divided by communist forces, but occupied by the Soviet and US after WWII. If the Soviet Union and US didn't interfere, Korea would never have split into two countries.

Haha, I suppose that's the diplomatic way of looking at it. However, I'm doubtful the communists would be happy with having a democracy on their border. They would have done something about it. And the US could have just given this small country up to a brutal regime and decided it wasn't worth the trouble.

Reactions: JST and Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2012
Before 1989 was there East German team and West German team both seperate representing table tennis and in other sports like North Korea and South Korea has had ever since 1945 ?

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
East Germany and West Germany were both among the founding members of the ETTU in 1957. You bet there was.

Jan 2018
Haha, I suppose that's the diplomatic way of looking at it. However, I'm doubtful the communists would be happy with having a democracy on their border. They would have done something about it. And the US could have just given this small country up to a brutal regime and decided it wasn't worth the trouble.

Not nececessarily, as China later broke ties with the Soviet and Vietnam. What communists do not like is US-influenced democracies.

Had the US done that, it's likely Korea would've declared independence in 1989.

Jan 2018
I don't know. Jeon Jihee is getting steamrolled. Ito is the best against choppers and Ishikawa has gotten better, too. I thought they would bench Kim Song I.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Did I hear correctly that ITTF announced ML and FZD would play on the women's team in the next round? And that Japan and Germany were going to join forces to commemorate their alliance from a bygone era?

That probably is not right, did a Google search, didn't find anything to corroborate your hearing

You knew I was joking, right? :)

Reactions: Suga D
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
Huh, Trump finished uniting Korea already? Making the world great again

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
I'd note that Thomas Weikert is old enough, to remember when Germany was split in two with a fortified border between communist and capitalist halves, and to remember the fall of the Berlin wall and the reunification.

So not surprising the Germans will have strong feelings and a soft spot about this situation.

We sure do. But as much as i understood, they just felt the heat of the moment and then took advantage of it AS A SYMBOL AND A SIGNAL OF WORLDPEACE.
You might wanna read this:
https://www.mytischtennis.de/public...uo-das-hier-ist-groesser-als-die-regeln-ldquo

Unfortunately i have no time to translate now, but maybe you could use an online translator.

Do not overestimate the size of that soft spot. Quite a few people in Germany do not have that spot (any longer)...the ones that still have it, might have some feelings about it, but not all of them are positive feelings/emotions...
As for Weikert: No comment...

Some of my russian friends won't like the following, but most of my russian friends will appreciate what i wrote, so here we go:
Nah, even though these voices seem to be getting louder lately, that is exactly what a troll-factory from St.Petersburg is trying to make people think, but nothing could be further from the truth.

Most people haven't forgot and are thankful for what Mr. Gorbatschow and Mr. Bush and Mr. Kohl have made possible for us.
As a matter of fact many also haven't forgotten what Mr. Putin said when he was first "elected" a while ago, when he said that he wanted to correct the biggest geopolitical mistake of the 20th Century, the collapse of of the former soviet union. Back then everyone was guessing what he could have meant. Now about 20 years later after seeing what has happened to the Krim and actually the whole Ukraine things are getting a little clearer...

Anyhow most people in Germany are happy for the fall of the wall!

Last edited:
says Fair Play first
says Fair Play first
Jan 2012
Weikert citation as follows:

--"Ja, wir respektieren die Regeln. Ja, wir haben sie geändert. Aber das hier ist größer als die Regeln.“

Yes, we respect Rules. Yes, we oversteped Rules. But it is beyond any Rules.

Reactions: BeGo and yoass