Do you feel this is breaking the rules of fairplay and a distract to his opponents?

• Yes I feel it's unfairr for his opponents

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • No I feel its great for the sport and the audience watching

Votes: 21 55.3%
  • Other - Comment below

Votes: 10 26.3%

• Total voters
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2011
Read 4 reviews
Oh I feel a great discussion coming. Scylla you have some merit in what you're saying, but I view the opposite as being true. If you go to a country you should learn the country's language and use that language to communicate to other people of that country. That in my opinion is the most respectful way to treat someone who's country you are immigrating/visiting. Of course it is not at all practical to learn every language, but the main thing is that you try to learn. I find it incredibly disrespectful when someone who was born in another country and decides to move to the U.S., but fails to assimilate by language and at some times name.

I believe in giving respect to your given name regardless where it's from, but if you are tired of other people butchering it why not use another name to help them out or actually correct people that say it incorrectly. There's nothing more beautiful than the sound of one's name - a quote from Dale Carnegie. So if you're all for keeping your name at least correct when people butcher it.

As for saying Yes as opposed to Cho how is that not respectful? Instead of celebrating his success from China and such he chooses to celebrate his success in the U.S. He is speaking our language which he took the time to learn and uses celebratory remarks in the sport we helped to create. I find that extremely respectful. I'm personally tired of hearing all the American's saying Cho and Cho le or Choi. All of which are close to words in other asian languages such as Korean where we say Jo, or Choi (pronounced Cheh). So if you're going to be celebrating a point, do it in your own language.

As for comments about mimicking your favorite players that argument wouldn't hold up to players like Schlager, Boll, Samsonov, or any other big name out there. They do at times say Cho or Cho le to celebrate the point. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but it does say something about the sport. It says that we're continuing to let the sport be dominated by the Chinese. They will continue to do so until we grow our mentalities to the point where we want our country to win and have the ability to do so.

I remember looking at a lot of interviews from Europeans over the last couple years and they say it all the time when asked " who do you think will win?" "I think the Chinese will win. the Chinese players are very strong."

I mean they don't even hide the fact that they don't have a good chance of winning and that is so negative. Instead I'd expect a comment much like Waldner's, "I hope that a Swedish player will win, but the Chinese are strong so are Boll and Samsonov. So I do not know who will win."

says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
says http://www.cornilleau-competition.com/EN/index.html
Mar 2011
Read 8 reviews
I think, no offence, that all of you whose saying that we "have" to celebrate in our own laguage sounds like rednecks. Why not just celebrate with whatever's giving you pleasure? Isn't that what sport is all about? Pleasure and having fun??

In my country, Norway, ther are many players saying cho. Learning some chinese to speak when winning and such. But in the end, we are all Norwegians, and wether we are saying "CHO", "jadda" or "JA!" when we score a point, I think it has nothing to say about our personality.

Also there is nothing wrong with admitting that the Chinese players are the best, because they are. All we have to do is work like there was no tomorrow, just to beat them one time. It's just disrespectful to say that they are not the best, when they actually are. When J-O was playing, even in his older days, the Europeans were actually strong enough to beat all of them, but today... The Chinese are dominating.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I think you are a wise man Scylla. Thats why I support your opinion in this case, it's perfectly right! :)

Yeah, I agree with this as well. I have my own ways of releasing stress. Deep breathing works really well. But after a point that you really wanted to win, when you make a good shot and win, it sometimes happens naturally that you express yourself.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
What about Bernardette Szocs from Rumania? I enjoy watching her matches but when she shouts out, it must be very annoying for her opponents. Besides, she's arrogant sometimes but I love her playing style anyway.

Wow. Nothing against her, but that really does sound like the cry of the Harpies. :)

I think I might actually start laughing uncontrollably if I heard that after every point while playing a match.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I guess, one more thing, since Cho does not really mean anything, and it is not technically anything more than a sound, I am not sure why people seem to associate it with China. When you express yourself, what ever expression naturally comes out should be fine.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2011
When I was watching the Men's doubles final of 2004 Athens olympics(Ma Lin/Chen Qi vs Li Ching/Ko Lai Chak), I remembered this thread and I really have to link that video here. I think it is quite funny actually because the match turned into a shouting competition after Li Ching's serve was faulted again on the second set.
If you don't have the time or will to watch the whole match, the real choing starts after the point at 13:00.

says backhand - Tenergy 05 black forehand - haifu whale blade...
says backhand - Tenergy 05 black forehand - haifu whale blade...
Nov 2011
That is pretty stupid that he is chosen fair play player. Do they pick that by lottery? :p

Lots of people might not have the point back to their opponent like Gauzy did at 1:17 in his match against Niwa while being sent left and right and down 1-0...
I don't think the way he is cho-ing has nothing to do with fairness, it is a way to pump himself up and stay focus...as the french team stand up shows camaraderie and bonding between players, which is kinda normal during team events.

I think Cho-ing used as motivation is fine, but when it becomes a strategy it becomes irritating. But whether or not we like it, it adds intensity to the sport...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2011
Lots of people might not have the point back to their opponent like Gauzy did at 1:17 in his match against Niwa while being sent left and right and down 1-0...
I don't think the way he is cho-ing has nothing to do with fairness, it is a way to pump himself up and stay focus...as the french team stand up shows camaraderie and bonding between players, which is kinda normal during team events.

I think Cho-ing used as motivation is fine, but when it becomes a strategy it becomes irritating. But whether or not we like it, it adds intensity to the sport...

Well my opinion about him was mostly based on the moment I mentioned where he cho'ed loud on an obvious lucky ball. But u are right, he could be a really nice and sincere guy for the rest, I don't know him that well. What I was pointing out is that there is no reason to complain about Lin's choing, as the French do the same, even at lucky balls. And indeed, choing has nothing to do with fairness.

TT here in the philippines is so annoying especially when it comes to war cries........recently I joined a tourney for the interstate / city junior team....I was in the finals and was leading 2-O in the set standings ... After the 2nd set,the team mates of my oPonnents arrived in our playing area ... after every point their whole team choeeedd the crap out of me...and it became more worse when they insulted me w/words then shouting during a rally... And that is why I only got silver in th tournament ..... My point is to limit the choiiinnngg!!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2011
Read 1 reviews
TT here in the philippines is so annoying especially when it comes to war cries........recently I joined a tourney for the interstate / city junior team....I was in the finals and was leading 2-O in the set standings ... After the 2nd set,the team mates of my oPonnents arrived in our playing area ... after every point their whole team choeeedd the crap out of me...and it became more worse when they insulted me w/words then shouting during a rally... And that is why I only got silver in th tournament ..... My point is to limit the choiiinnngg!!!

Seen your silver medal photo Renz. Too bad you got silver knowing that you lead the game :(
Try not to get affected by the shouts.
My last tournament was a team tournament, we are tied 1-1 and it is the deciding match for the 1st and 2nd place. It was me who play for my team. Same scenario when I lead 1-0 they start to shout, cho etc etc. I blast through their shout, shut them up and win 3-0.

Its a good experience for you to be unaffected by chos next time Renz :)
Wishing you the best for your tourneys, mental strength and table tennis next year!