Harimoto Tomokazu rises to World Rank #10 at 14 years old!!!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2017
The ITTF has not corrected the age to 14 yet

WT Results

2018 - World Tour, German Open, Bremen (GER) - Seniors - Rnd of 32
2018 - World Tour, Qatar Open, Doha (QAT) - Seniors - QF
2017 - World Tour Grand Finals, Astana (KAZ) - Seniors - QF
2017 - World Tour, Swedish Open, Stockholm (SWE) - Seniors - Rnd of 16
2017 - World Tour, German Open, Magdeburg (GER) - Seniors - Rnd of 32
2017 - World Tour, Czech Open, Olomouc (CZE) - Seniors - Winner
2017 - World Tour, Australian Open, Gold Coast (AUS) - Seniors - Rnd of 32
2017 - World Tour, China Open, Chengdu (CHN) - Seniors - SF
2017 - World Tour, Japan Open, Tokyo (JPN) - Seniors - Qual. Last Rnd
2017 - World Tour, Korean Open, Incheon (KOR) - Seniors - Qual. Last Rnd
2017 - World Tour, Qatar Open, Doha (QAT) - Seniors - Grp
2017 - World Tour, Qatar Open, Doha (QAT) - U21 - Rnd of 16
2017 - World Tour, India Open, New Delhi (IND) - Seniors - Runner-Up
2017 - World Tour, India Open, New Delhi (IND) - U21 - SF
2016 - World Tour Grand Finals, Doha (QAT) - U21 - QF
2016 - World Tour, Austrian Open, Linz (AUT) - U21 - QF
2016 - World Tour, Austrian Open, Linz (AUT) - Seniors - Rnd of 64
2016 - World Tour, Czech Open, Olomuc (CZE) - Seniors - Rnd of 64
2016 - World Tour, Czech Open, Olomuc (CZE) - U21 - Rnd of 16
2016 - World Tour, Korea Open, Incheon (KOR) - U21 - QF
2016 - World Tour, Korea Open, Incheon (KOR) - Seniors - Qual. 2nd Last
2016 - World Tour, LAOX Japan Open, Tokyo (JPN) - U21 - Winner
2016 - World Tour, LAOX Japan Open, Tokyo (JPN) - Seniors - Qual. Last Rnd
2016 - World Tour, Slovenia Open, Otocec (SLO) - U21 - Rnd of 16
2016 - World Tour, Slovenia Open, Otocec (SLO) - Seniors - QF
2016 - World Tour, Croatia Open, Zagreb (CRO) - U21 - QF
2016 - World Tour, Croatia Open, Zagreb (CRO) - Seniors - Grp
2015 - GAC Group World Tour, Swedish Open, Stockholm (SWE) - Seniors - Post Grp Qual Rnd
2015 - GAC Group World Tour, Swedish Open, Stockholm (SWE) - U21 - Rnd of 16
2015 - GAC Group World Tour, Polish Open, Warsaw (POL) - Seniors - Rnd of 64
2015 - GAC Group World Tour, Polish Open, Warsaw (POL) - U21 - Grp
2014 - World Tour, Japan Open, Yokohama (JPN) - U21 - Grp

Other Results
2017 - ITTF Asian Championships, Wuxi (CHN) - Seniors - Rnd of 32
2016 - Asian Junior & Cadet Championships, Bangkok (THA) - U15 - Runner-Up
2016 - World Junior Table Tennis Championships, Cape Town (RSA) - U18 - Winner
2016 - Swedish Junior and Cadet Open, Orebro (SWE) - U18 - SF
2015 - World Junior Circuit Finals, Indore (IND) - U18 - QF

Doubles' Results
2018 - World Tour, German Open, Bremen (GER) - 1/2F with MORIZONO Masataka
2018 - World Tour, Qatar Open, Doha (QAT) - 1/8F with MORIZONO Masataka
2017 - World Tour Grand Finals, Astana (KAZ) - 1/4F with KIZUKURI Yuto
2017 - World Tour, German Open, Magdeburg (GER) - 2nd with KIZUKURI Yuto
2017 - World Tour, Czech Open, Olomouc (CZE) - 1/8F with KIZUKURI Yuto
2017 - World Tour, China Open, Chengdu (CHN) - 2nd with KIZUKURI Yuto
2017 - World Tour, Japan Open, Tokyo (JPN) - 1/8F with KIZUKURI Yuto

Teams' Results
2018 - Team World Cup, London (ENG) - Seniors - Team Pos.: 2

Player Stats

Total matches
Total wins
218 (71%)
Total loses
87 (29%)
Current year matches
Current year wins
16 (59%)
Current year loses
11 (41%)

Last edited:
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
FZD 1st appeared on the WR at 139 in Aug, 2012, at the age of 15 years, 6 months and xx days old. It took him exactly 1 year and 1 month to hit WR 10, at the age of 16 years, 7 months and xx days old.

Harimoto 1st appeared on the WR at 836 in Sep, 2014, at the age of 11 years, 2 months and xx days old. It took him 3 years and 8 months to hit WR 10, at the age of 14 years, 11 months and xx days old.

I don't know how anyone can make an objective comparison, seeing FZD was still on the assembly line at that age.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Reactions: Andy44
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Unbelievable accomplishment by tomo. His skill ceiling is through the roof.

While he has reached a WR faster by age than anyone as far as I can see, I still have to wonder if he will be limited physically. I'm assuming he will never be as big or as thick/strong as FZD.

It's my guess as to that is what has held behind some of his Japanese teammates who are about as skilled and as crafty as one can get. They're just not physically big enough or strong enough to match the top players from the CNT.

mrk

This user has no status.

mrk

This user has no status.
Jul 2017
Unbelievable accomplishment by tomo. His skill ceiling is through the roof.

While he has reached a WR faster by age than anyone as far as I can see, I still have to wonder if he will be limited physically. I'm assuming he will never be as big or as thick/strong as FZD.

FZD is only 1.73m big. He is relatively thick but this isn't really a deciding factor for a table tennis player, this can be a disadvantage. ML may have an advantage in this regards, he is thinner and quicker.

It's my guess as to that is what has held behind some of his Japanese teammates who are about as skilled and as crafty as one can get. They're just not physically big enough or strong enough to match the top players from the CNT.

From the last WM you might have missed that Harimoto is taller than all of his japanese teammates already with the age of 14. He isn't even a japanese genetically.

says ok, I will go back and make sure you have access. Be...
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
I think you are wrong! I bet if you do a DNA check they are the same people.

Pretty close, depending on where the people in China are that you use for the comparison. Here are some things I found with a little searching:

The DNA sequencing picture that emerges today shows the central Honshu people of Japan to be genetically just a little closer to Sino-Tibetan and Han Chinese (from the Jiangsu region who were possibly rice-farming immigrants during the Yayoi era) evidenced by the specific genetic Y markers found in Japanese today (ie O3a5, O3a and O1), in their mix than to modern-day Koreans whose ancestors contributed significantly to the Japanese gene pool probably during Koguryo and Paekche migrations into Japan of the Kofun era to Asuka eras.
One surprising point that emerges from a look at both mtDNA and Y Haplogroups charts, is that the Koreans show an even closer genetic affinity to Okinawans (and therefore to the Jomon stock) than mainland Honshu Japanese do themselves…comprising 17.4% of their DNA sequence compared to the Japanese 16.1% of their DNA sequence.

Surprisingly, Japanese also display the highest frequency of haplogroup O3a5, which is a Han Chinese and Sino-Tibetan specific O3 branch.

Japanese Haplogroup O3a5 (O3e) 10/47= 23%
This frequency is about 5% higher than the frequency of O3a5 among Manchus, Koreans and other Northeast Asians.

The shared Chinese gene pool between Japanese and Koreans is thought to be formed of Dong-Yi stock (originating from China’s Shandong peninsula) that later formed the Puyo peoples of the Paekche kingdom and Koguyro kingdoms of the Korean peninsula

Another thing worth noting. China is really big and diverse. "Han" Chinese in Shandong are almost certainly closer to Japanese genetically than "Han" people from, say, Guangdong or Yunan, and of course there are gazillions of non-Han people in China.

Last edited:
Reactions: tropical
Nov 2010
Read 8 reviews
So here is a question. How many male people remember the strength and athleticism they had at 14 compared to at 18 or 20 or 25 for people who stayed active throughout those ages? Harimoto is going to get a lot stronger pretty soon. Even if he is getting taller now, he is still a kid. And that will make him a better player.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2012
Read 1 reviews
Pretty close, depending on where the people in China are that you use for the comparison. Here are some things I found with a little searching:

The DNA sequencing picture that emerges today shows the central Honshu people of Japan to be genetically just a little closer to Sino-Tibetan and Han Chinese (from the Jiangsu region who were possibly rice-farming immigrants during the Yayoi era) evidenced by the specific genetic Y markers found in Japanese today (ie O3a5, O3a and O1), in their mix than to modern-day Koreans whose ancestors contributed significantly to the Japanese gene pool probably during Koguryo and Paekche migrations into Japan of the Kofun era to Asuka eras.
One surprising point that emerges from a look at both mtDNA and Y Haplogroups charts, is that the Koreans show an even closer genetic affinity to Okinawans (and therefore to the Jomon stock) than mainland Honshu Japanese do themselves…comprising 17.4% of their DNA sequence compared to the Japanese 16.1% of their DNA sequence.

Surprisingly, Japanese also display the highest frequency of haplogroup O3a5, which is a Han Chinese and Sino-Tibetan specific O3 branch.

Japanese Haplogroup O3a5 (O3e) 10/47= 23%
This frequency is about 5% higher than the frequency of O3a5 among Manchus, Koreans and other Northeast Asians.

The shared Chinese gene pool between Japanese and Koreans is thought to be formed of Dong-Yi stock (originating from China’s Shandong peninsula) that later formed the Puyo peoples of the Paekche kingdom and Koguyro kingdoms of the Korean peninsula

Another thing worth noting. China is really big and diverse. "Han" Chinese in Shandong are almost certainly closer to Japanese genetically than "Han" people from, say, Guangdong or Yunan, and of course there are gazillions of non-Han people in China.

Very good explanations Baal. I was thinking about ancient history which mentioned something about many Chinese tried to escape the Qin dynasty by sailing to Japan in 200BC. Your last sentence is worth repeated here in case some racist folks didn't pay attention that
China is really big and diverse. "Han" Chinese in Shandong are almost certainly closer to Japanese genetically than "Han" people from, say, Guangdong or Yunan, and of course there are gazillions of non-Han people in China.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
This user has been banned.
May 2018
It is the camera angle. At the pro level even if the serve is hidden they can still read the spin by just reading the bounce of the ball.