Zhang Jike to make a return | 2018

says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
says Waldner Masterclass out now! 🏓
Administrator
Oct 2010
Zhang Jike has confirmed his participation at the Hong Kong, Japan and China Open over the next month!

zhangjikereturn20181.jpg

Who's excited?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
We will see. I will reserve judgement. I do feel like he may be done. But it would be really great if he can make a comeback.

If he is over his injuries and finds the desire to play and win, it is possible that we may be in for some excitement.

It is true, I have not seen him show any of that. But, look at how Timo was injured for years and now he is playing well again despite his age. If Timo was able to make a comeback at 37, then it is at least possible for ZJK to get back to top form at 30.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Simply from looking at the "Zhang Jike News" thread that is on here, it has been interesting to see his developments over the last 6 months or so. The main things I have taken from this are that he has fully recovered from injury, has lost weight to increase speed, and has found motivation to compete again (rumours are that this has something to do with his new GF encouraging him).

Whether any of this will actually translate to tournament success, we will have to wait and see. The one thing he has been lacking is match practice under tournament pressure, so it will be very interesting to see how he handles this.

To me its a good sign that he has entered not 1 but 3 tournaments, also entering Mixed Doubles too.

This user has no status.
Little weak on records and statistics but doesn't ZJK have 1 gold and 1 silver in Olympics singles and ML only 1 gold ?? So, ML need to wait till 2020 to surpass ZJK in Olympics. Nothing against Rain but I think her post was a veiled attack against ZJK and trying to convey that ZJK better withdraw to avoid losing in quals.

Just to add to Carls point, Zhang Jike has also had the opportunity to play in 2 Olympic Singles Events, as opposed to Ma Long's 1 opportunity, in which he took Gold.

I completely see the argument that ZJK is ahead in Olympics, purely based on medal count, but if you look at overall achievements, 'Ma' is ahead by a 'Long' way, if you'll pardon the PUN.

The one thing that ZJK has over everyone is that he is the fastest player to win the Grand Slam, and tbh its very subjective as to how highly you recognise this accolade.

^ All of the above is said by someone who has always preferred ZJK over Ma Long, but facts are facts ^

Nonetheless, I'd love nothing more than to see him competing on the big stage once again :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
This is exactly what ZJK fans do, no matter they are male or female, whether they know Chinese or not, whether they follow CNT closely or not, whether they sound "respectful" to other players including ML or not. If someone says sth "bad" according to their criteria about ZJK but in fact just simple truth, they get angry and turn to ML, very often to LGL as well and very often getting WH to the comparison. They are so predictable. lol

May I just ask you, whether ZJK can play 3 ITTF World Tour in a row in the following month has anything to do with how many OG singles medals he got? has anything to do with how many OG singles medals ML got? has anything to do with how you or the rest of world judge who is better, ZJK or ML or anyone else?

The facts are (1) a player's name on ITTF World Tour entries list now does not mean he/she will play. Dima and Koki Niwa just withdrew Hong Kong Open and earlier FZD withdrew German Open. (2) CTTA/CNT has this new rule that losing in qualification, or losing to non-CNT in the first round of main draw will lead to a penalty of participation in the next possible world tour. WCQ and XF withdrew German Open as a penalty because of the result at Qatar Open. FB and YZY lost at German Open. Both are not on the entries list of Hong Kong Open. FB is on the entries list of China Open and YZY is on the entries list of Japan Open. CTTA/CNT is following the new rule. (3) ZJK has kept withdrawing many tournaments, most recent one being the CNT trial for the last two spots for WTTTC 2018. During CNT closed training for WTTTC, the best chance for improvement, he barely did technique training. So you tell me, how realistic it is to say he returns to play 3 world tour in a row?

Rain, I am aware you are big time ML fan. But ZJK still remains ahead in olympic singles count irrespective of playing at these ITTF tour opens. Either way, until 2020, ML can not catch ZJK on this.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
This is exactly what ZJK fans do, no matter they are male or female, whether they know Chinese or not, whether they follow CNT closely or not, whether they sound "respectful" to other players including ML or not. If someone says sth "bad" according to their criteria about ZJK but in fact just simple truth, they get angry and turn to ML, very often to LGL as well and very often getting WH to the comparison. They are so predictable. lol

May I just ask you, whether ZJK can play 3 ITTF World Tour in a row in the following month has anything to do with how many OG singles medals he got? has anything to do with how many OG singles medals ML got? has anything to do with how you or the rest of world judge who is better, ZJK or ML or anyone else?

The facts are (1) a player's name on ITTF World Tour entries list now does not mean he/she will play. Dima and Koki Niwa just withdrew Hong Kong Open and earlier FZD withdrew German Open. (2) CTTA/CNT has this new rule that losing in qualification, or losing to non-CNT in the first round of main draw will lead to a penalty of participation in the next possible world tour. WCQ and XF withdrew German Open as a penalty because of the result at Qatar Open. FB and YZY lost at German Open. Both are not on the entries list of Hong Kong Open. FB is on the entries list of China Open and YZY is on the entries list of Japan Open. CTTA/CNT is following the new rule. (3) ZJK has kept withdrawing many tournaments, most recent one being the CNT trial for the last two spots for WTTTC 2018. During CNT closed training for WTTTC, the best chance for improvement, he barely did technique training. So you tell me, how realistic it is to say he returns to play 3 world tour in a row?

Rain, with all your respect this topic isn’t about ZJK vs. ML. Is about people want to see ZJK still being active in TT and in hope to get more memorable moments as he used to deliver. If it will be in one or several tournaments he will be participating in, doesn’t really matter as long he is active and could play on a decent level.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Super Moderator
Mar 2012
Read 20 reviews
Did I compare at all in my second post, then? Didn't I stick to this topic, point out why the comparison is irrelevant to the topic and what is really relevant?
You are right that only time can tell if you don't have further information. But please be aware of the facts and rules of participation and don't simply blame the person who brings up the facts.

Yes to did reply to druix80’s ZJK/MJ comparison in the first part of your post and the other part was fact/stats.
I am fully aware on the selection of participation as someone already has posted the criteria’s in another thread.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl