WTTC to Become More Bloated

This user has no status.
Only the extra matches won't be all that enjoyable. Same happened in football (soccer).

It will only be unenjoyable if there are no good players. From what I've seen in the WTTTC, there are many more great TT players around the world now, so I think it makes sense to give them more opportunities in major events. For example, who wouldn't want to see more of Liam Pitchford or Patrick Franziska in WTTC.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
It will only be unenjoyable if there are no good players. From what I've seen in the WTTTC, there are many more great TT players around the world now, so I think it makes sense to give them more opportunities in major events. For example, who wouldn't want to see more of Liam Pitchford or Patrick Franziska in WTTC.
It depends on the continental quotas as well.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
People here aren't really happy about it, because they look at it from a spectators' perspective.
But if you look at it from pro players' perspective, then it becomes a huge improvement. It's really motivating, because players will have more chance to qualify to WTTC. It's like giving them a touchable goal (I don't know the english expression for this, but you know what I mean).

This user has no status.
The changes will take place in 2021.

Continental qualifications will be named "WTTC Continental Stages", San Jose, California in America and Yekaterinburg in Russia have been nominated.

http://world-tt.com/ps_info/ps_report_detail.php?bn=1&pg=HEAD&page=BACK&rpcdno=2601#2601

2021 is still far away, so there's a chance that this might not even happen. Might be too early to protest about it.
But I still think it's a good thing to give more players all over the world the chance to participate in major events.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
XD goes from 64 to 128 pairs.

Team competition expands from 24 to 32 teams for the Championship Division.

"Bloated" is a pejorative. I don't necessarily agree. The differences near the top are slight and subtle, and one of the things that can create excitement is when an until then relatively lesser known player exceeds expectations, and causes some upsets.

That is more likely to happen, or happen a bit earlier and more often, if the upcoming ones storming the top are included also. And I suspect many will actually like that.

Whereas watching another round of Ma Long and Fan Zhendong (or Timo Boll and Dimitrij Ovtcharov) performing an encore, even though playing at an outstanding level, may be less exciting. Let's see Can Akkuzu put Hugo Calderano's feet to the fire, I say.

Reactions: Joepole
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
Well... In teams we go from 96+96 nations in 2016 to 32+32 nations in the new system. I must say I really enjoyed the C-hall in Halmstad with the really good young female players from the Maldives and Wales, Otto from Pongfinity, and the general level of playing from nations you seldom see. Now this is gone... The teams in each continent will play each other again and again. No more Norway vs Maldives, no more Jordan-Togo... Of course now everyone will have the possibility to win..., but I think we lose a lot on promotion of the sport, networking and education.

Reactions: NextLevel