Hong Kong Open 2018

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
I hope she improve her mental strength, for me it's the thing that separates her to win very important titles

Aside the skills, CNT players has very strong mental strength, even when losing bad they overcome the results, that's a really important asset when you compete

Enviado de meu SM-J500M usando o Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I disagree, mentally Mima Ito right now how is the strongest player outside of CNT and she is not scared of them otherwise she would not have beated LSW in a worldchampionship . Its just that her high risk style has inherent disadvantages.

Just because somebody is crying backstage does not mean they are mentally weak , its just that the excitement and the expectation has not matched the result. Think of it at this way, she really expected to win , how many players in the world go into a match really expecting to win ? ... otherwise she would not have cried. Also, she has the control to not start crying in the arena but letting it out when she is in private with her coach ..... its unfortunate that these videos come out, these are really private moments and we should respect a player's privacy ...

I hope she improve her mental strength, for me it's the thing that separates her to win very important titles

Aside the skills, CNT players has very strong mental strength, even when losing bad they overcome the results, that's a really important asset when you compete

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
I disagree, mentally Mima Ito right now how is the strongest player outside of CNT and she is not scared of them otherwise she would not have beated LSW in a worldchampionship . Its just that her high risk style has inherent disadvantages.

Just because somebody is crying backstage does not mean they are mentally weak , its just that the excitement and the expectation has not matched the result. Think of it at this way, she really expected to win , how many players in the world go into a match really expecting to win ? ... otherwise she would not have cried. Also, she has the control to not start crying in the arena but letting it out when she is in private with her coach ..... its unfortunate that these videos come out, these are really private moments and we should respect a player's privacy ...
What you said is really right, but I didn't said it because she's crying, I said based in the lasts tournaments I saw her. I'm not saying she has weak mental strength, I'm saying i think she needs to get better in this, cause aside the high risk style of her, sometimes looks like she need to be a bit more focused mind and calm to finish a game or either overcome a bad result. She won from LSW a weak mind person can't do that I think

Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I understand what you are saying, closing off a match or a game when leading is one of the most difficult things to do mentally , after all she was leading 3-1 and then lost it from there. However, on the other side most people play better when they are down , also you want to take into account that at that level its not really about anything else than how quick you can adapt to your opponents style. In this case finally Wang Manyu adapted to Mima Ito's style of play and started more balls back onto the table , now to be fair to Mima any body with her style feels the need to hit winners and when those winners come back its not easy , because you are not used to that . With her style she does not really have a fall back option where she can scale it back down and play safe because she does not have any chance doing that.

What I am really trying to say that there is a lot going on , strategically and mentally . To simply boil it down to mental strength is a little to simple and takes the credit away from both players ...

What you said is really right, but I didn't said it because she's crying, I said based in the lasts tournaments I saw her. I'm not saying she has weak mental strength, I'm saying i think she needs to get better in this, cause aside the high risk style of her, sometimes looks like she need to be a bit more focused mind and calm to finish a game or either overcome a bad result. She won from LSW a weak mind person can't do that I think

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
I understand what you are saying, closing off a match or a game when leading is one of the most difficult things to do mentally , after all she was leading 3-1 and then lost it from there. However, on the other side most people play better when they are down , also you want to take into account that at that level its not really about anything else than how quick you can adapt to your opponents style. In this case finally Wang Manyu adapted to Mima Ito's style of play and started more balls back onto the table , now to be fair to Mima any body with her style feels the need to hit winners and when those winners come back its not easy , because you are not used to that . With her style she does not really have a fall back option where she can scale it back down and play safe because she does not have any chance doing that.

What I am really trying to say that there is a lot going on , strategically and mentally . To simply boil it down to mental strength is a little to simple and takes the credit away from both players ...
Yeah I put that on a very simple way, but really wasn't my intention, sorry for that

I'm just too anxious to see her win a big title over CNT (except DN hehehe), I'm getting more and more fond of her playing

Last edited:
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
...its unfortunate that these videos come out, these are really private moments and we should respect a player's privacy ...
Wait until you see them crying on Japanese TV. Fukuhara, Ishikawa, Hirano and many others have been televised "crying in private" after losing for years. Sayaka Hirano shed tears of joy after reviewing the team match against Netherland that almost denied them the silver medal at WTTC 2014 in a recent episode of Takkyuu Japan.

It's exactly moments like these that depict table tennis being taken as a serious sport.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
I disagree , its just sensationalism .. just because a bunch of Japanese TV channels are doing it does not make it right ... Fukuhara , etc are table tennis players , they are not reality tv stars .... its just that the media knows how fans crave to see moments that seems to humanize their idols and make them relatable .. they invade their privacy ... does not have anything to do into table tennis becoming a serious sport ...

I do appreciate your efforts in translating the interviews ... however on this particular point I don't agree with you ...
there are certain boundaries that media should not cross but its happening and it cannot be stopped , we may have to accept it but not agree with it ...
Wait until you see them crying on Japanese TV. Fukuhara, Ishikawa, Hirano and many others have been televised "crying in private" after losing for years. Sayaka Hirano shed tears of joy after reviewing the team match against Netherland that almost denied them the silver medal at WTTC 2014 in a recent episode of Takkyuu Japan.

It's exactly moments like these that depict table tennis being taken as a serious sport.

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

Well said, most of Ito's risk is heavily concentrated in the first two or three shots, much more than even the Chinese. Her serves, returns and third and fourth ball are ridiculously strong. But the rally is so so. Because the Chinese are used to dominating on the first 3 shots, she is going to cause them fits. But the key question is how much longer can she keep the Chinese guessing on those shots?

I also suspect, though I have no firm evidence, that part of the reason some of the Mu Zi and He Zhuojas and Zhang Rui made this trip was for more diversity in pimples on the CNT side to mimic Ito. All that said, there is no scoffing at what Ito has done, as you said, it's just the tightrope nature of it all that makes you wonder whether it's really going to be enough to win an Olympic medal.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Lets just hope she continues to develop here forehand in the years to come and not depend on the slaps all the time .. we have to admit that the consistency of those slaps have increased by leaps and bounds in recent years and thats the reason we are here ... I have hope because she always seems to be mentally mature beyond her years ...
Well said, most of Ito's risk is heavily concentrated in the first two or three shots, much more than even the Chinese. Her serves, returns and third and fourth ball are ridiculously strong. But the rally is so so. Because the Chinese are used to dominating on the first 3 shots, she is going to cause them fits. But the key question is how much longer can she keep the Chinese guessing on those shots?

I also suspect, though I have no firm evidence, that part of the reason some of the Mu Zi and He Zhuojas and Zhang Rui made this trip was for more diversity in pimples on the CNT side to mimic Ito. All that said, there is no scoffing at what Ito has done, as you said, it's just the tightrope nature of it all that makes you wonder whether it's really going to be enough to win an Olympic medal.

Reactions: NextLevel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Lets just hope she continues to develop here forehand in the years to come and not depend on the slaps all the time .. we have to admit that the consistency of those slaps have increased by leaps and bounds in recent years and thats the reason we are here ... I have hope because she always seems to be mentally mature beyond her years ...
That's something to remember and I'm always failing to that, she's still a teenager, she'll mature even more

Last edited:
Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Mental strength is very vague in nature and hard to define. Come backs happen in all sports and we're not really sure how much of it is caused by "mental strength" and not just by difference in technique or statistics.

Ito would be just fine. She'll win some and lose some against China. What's more concerning is lack of other players quality. It's no fault of China but I'd die to see more diverse top 10 rankings like Badminton and Tennis.