Grip change

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
My coach has suggested that I use a lower more relaxed neutral grip. He wants the V between my thumb and forefinger to be lower down the handle. When I do this my thumb isn’t on the rubber and my forefinger just about is, admittedly I have small hands. I’ve been testing this out for a few weeks now and found that my little finger and 4th finger are gripping much tighter - compensating for the lower, loose index and thumb. Can’t see immediate gains yet. If I can achieve a looser grip with better whip & transition I’ll be happy also had many months of aching shoulder. What does the forum think? Will a new grip benefit my play and my shoulder?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
It’s pretty hard to tell without seeing you play. Does he have a reason for that change, is your current grip limiting your play?
Even for the pros it’s totally different. Some play with a backhand grip, some play with a forehand grip, some all the way up and then there’s Truls Møregard. :D

Having your Hand lower might help you with wrist movement but it’s pretty hard to tell without seeing you play.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Thanks for the response Fabian. I am a bit stiff on my backhand swing, other issues including follow through too long FH & BH, can't stay low/ head down and much more! So being looser and adjusting stroke length definitely good reasons. With either grip I tend to slip into a FH dominant position. Hoping my shoulder will benefit but hasn't so far.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Like Fabian said, hard to tell without seeing you play, but I'd be careful about gripping too tightly with bottom fingers; this (from trying a handle that was too small for me) gave me wrist and elbow problems. Shoulder/rotator cuff problems in my experience come from relying too much on arm and upper body rather than hip rotation and weight transfer to generate power. I have old rotator cuff issues from tennis that acted up when I starting playing table tennis. The problems went away after a few months of coaching to improve foot work and weight transfer and so far have stayed away.

Reactions: KMTT
It seems your coach advice is for the so called shallow grip.
It allows wrist activity and generally works for both wings.
What I don't like about it is that it works better when firm, if loosen it lacks control, switching to deep BH grip when needed takes extra time, you miss the thumb work activity and you miss the vibration info which is best to feel between the thumb and the forefinger.
Anyway its effective for developing and/or untill you find your best way.

Reactions: KMTT