Blade Roadmap

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Hi guys,

i wonder if we could work out a roadmap for someone to find the best category where to fish (as offensive player).

i started out with an often recommended ALL blade (Stiga AC), heading to ALL+ (Grubba) with a huge leap to the OFF category (YEO).
While i can handle the YEO pretty well, its much more uncomfortable than the Grubba. I did this jump because i felt like the Primorac (in my awareness the most recommended OFF- blade) wouldnt be a big and necessary step for me (also jumping from cell to plastic).

in my research i also get known of the different composition of a blade, mostly the difference between limba (soft, more dwell time) and koto (harder, more direct) outer ply.

i also own a 7ply limba-5x ayous-limba blade (which gets hyped by some members in this forum).
and there are also carbon (which would be an upgrade at the koto road i guess).

so the limba test road would be like: Stiga AC => Grubba => Primorac/Korbel => 7ply limba => ?
and the koto road map: ? => YEO => TB ALC?

lets get some discussion :)

Reactions: Ahmad Arnous
Well, I would prefer a question about "equipment workflow" rather than "blade roadmap".
There are some very experienced members in the forum, like Carl, with tons of knowledge about materials and their properties proved in practice, and they can draw you hundreds of roadmaps, but the question is that every different roadmap should be complient with the specifics of a single player personal characteristics and developement. Furthemore everyone can draw a roadmap of its own experience, but it may not be very helpfull for the others.
On the other side, speaking about "euipment workflow" may give you the fundamentals of how to start and develope the equipment quest process, depending on style and level.

Reactions: Ahmad Arnous
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2016
Best to have a coach to have a good look at your game. How you like you play, what shots you prefer, all determine what would suit your path more.

Best to have a coach to have a good look at your game. How you like you play, what shots you prefer, all determine what would suit your path more.

Yes, and this has to be done all through the roadmap, which, in fact, is the process of the workflow.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
Why nobody wants to share his opinion about that.
With all the experienced ppl in here.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Why not just look at the different speed classes of blades and leave it at that.

Like: an Avalox P-500 is an Off- blade with a Koto top ply. So is Hurricane King. Both of those blades are moderate speed and the ply construction is Koto-Spruce-Ayous-Spruce-Koto.

Yasaka Extra Offensive, I think it is Walnut, not Koto. But both are hard. Different players have different feel and different kinds of wood work better for different players. But there are blades that have a hard top ply but are in the Off- or All+ speed category.

I think the top ply on the Yasaka Sweden Extra is Anegre which is harder than Limba but softer than Koto. So, it would be a blade that fit into the category of transitioning from softer wood to harder wood or vice versa. :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I guess, for 5 ply, offensive blades you could add blades like:

Rosewood V or XO
Ebenholz V
Infinity
Intensity
Eternity

All of them have some version of hardening agent that makes them have a top ply that is on the harder side.

It is also worth not forgetting the Stiga Offensive Classic or CR. All you have to do is put the blades in their speed category. There are really sooooooo many blades out there though that are basically very similar and functionally equivalent.

says The sticky bit is stuck.
says The sticky bit is stuck.
Jan 2017
Read 8 reviews
… I think the top ply on the Yasaka Sweden Extra is Anegre which is harder than Limba but softer than Koto. So, it would be a blade that fit into the category of transitioning from softer wood to harder wood or vice versa. :)

The Janka indices of Koto and Anegre are very close, as is their SG.

I use a blade with Koto on FH and Anegre on BH. I also have a YSE, and the feel of that made me consider Anegre.

They feel equally hard, the Koto side a bit more lively and the Anegre side feels a bit more, well, disciplined. Anegre is sometimes described as the ultimate control wood, and I think there is some truth to that.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
hey guys,

just searching in speed categories isnt effective, just as some of u mentioned that outer layer do make a huge difference.

after about 10 sessions with the YEO i switched back to an outer limba, core ayous blade (7ply allwood), mainly cuz a lot of easy balls did land in the net. my new blade is stated as Off+ but actually with the change to plastic ball and my increased skill it feels like Off- at best. there should be much more emphasis on outer layer and playing technique, as club mates recommend me doing short strokes (which is great for hard outer layer like koto/walnut) but are inefficient with limba.

now while iam doing fine with my current blade, there is a big gap between it and the previous Grubba. I wouldnt recommend to jump that big. on the other side, while iam playing cautious to get used to the new blade, there might be a point the blade need a speed upgrade. i just have two options in mind: Clipper (which is also 7ply but heavier and thicker) and carbonado 145 (cuz of the carbon layer). that was my intention of a roadmap to have options in mind if some factors did change.

for rubbers it's quite easy because of the hardness. there's only the big difference between tacky and grippy rubbers unlike the different charateristics of a blade (outer layer, number of layers, carbon...)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
may someone list me some real fast blades with limba outer layer (thus more of a looping blade)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Hi Carl, maybe you (and others of course!) can give some insight on my dilemma I had last night while playing/training at my local club. Alittle about my skill level is around 12 hours total of "chinese style" coaching and countless hours of practice mainly fh strokes, need to work on my footwork and backhand more though. Yes, I confess i've also turned into an EJ. Best setup since i've started over 4 months ago was a Stiga Allround CR ST handle that I got cheap off ebay with authentic H3 National Blue sponge 2.2 on FH and H3 Nittaku pro on BH. When I received my Stiga Rosewood XO and transferred the same rubbers onto it to try it out I missed about 8 of 10 shots I'd normally make with the former setup. Very discouraging... I'm now thinking of selling the XO, and getting a slightly slower blade. I now understand the downside of Ej'ing and constantly changing gear. Question is: do I put a slower rubber on the XO? or Keep the same rubber and opt for a "slower" blade i.e. Donic Appelgren ALLPLAY, Ligna OFF, etc. Which I've read raving reviews about. I noticed though with the XO I had to close my racket angle quite a bit when looping or driving just so it could stay on the table! I did not like the nervousness and anxiety it caused while playing as I was unsure if it would make it on the table! As opposed to the ALLround CR I felt super confident with full swing strokes had much more success with alot of the shots and enjoyed playing much more (which is the main reason why I play otherwise what's the point if it's no fun?!) . What would you suggest? I know i should stick with what works, but since becoming a fully addicted EJ my quest for the most ideal setup right now will be difficult (and expensive) to arrive at. I'm mainly interested in allwood blades with medium flex as i prefer hard-ish (non-tensor) chinese rubbers on forehand for looping. Although I'm open to suggestions. Anyone that's reading feel free to comment or suggest. This isn't mainly for carl I just wanted to ask since i've been following his posts from the start of my TT spark. Thanks all in advance.

I suggest you get yourself a Stiga Allround CR with a Straight handle. :)

It sounds like it worked for you. When you have something that is working, there is no need to change it.

Thnx!

Lololol!!! Thnx Carl ������������so far that's the best advice I've gotten in the least amount of words! I also very much enjoy reading your posts regarding equipment/technique etc. What clubs do you play at? I play at wang chen in Jersey city its the closest to me I'm there in 5min. Only other places I've played at in the city was fatcat on Christopher st. I'm curious to go to SPIN but hourly rates seemed high. Anyway thnx again.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Lololol!!! Thnx Carl ������������so far that's the best advice I've gotten in the least amount of words! I also very much enjoy reading your posts regarding equipment/technique etc. What clubs do you play at? I play at wang chen in Jersey city its the closest to me I'm there in 5min. Only other places I've played at in the city was fatcat on Christopher st. I'm curious to go to SPIN but hourly rates seemed high. Anyway thnx again.

I have not played at SPiN in quite a while. I am just too busy. Since about a year ago, I have not had much time to play. Now that I am a single dad and have to focus on taking care of my daughter, that makes it so I don't get much time to play.

There is a pool hall a 10 min walk from my home where I have done most of my playing over the past year +. But when my wife was still alive and I was able to play as much as I liked, I played at SPiN, at some of the clubs in Flushing and College point. I went to the Wang Chen club on 100th St and Broadway in Manhattan once in a while. Lily Yip's a couple of times. But these days, if I am further than a short distance from home, it doesn't work so well for me.

I have not played at SPiN in quite a while. I am just too busy. Since about a year ago, I have not had much time to play. Now that I am a single dad and have to focus on taking care of my daughter, that makes it so I don't get much time to play.

There is a pool hall a 10 min walk from my home where I have done most of my playing over the past year +. But when my wife was still alive and I was able to play as much as I liked, I played at SPiN, at some of the clubs in Flushing and College point. I went to the Wang Chen club on 100th St and Broadway in Manhattan once in a while. Lily Yip's a couple of times. But these days, if I am further than a short distance from home, it doesn't work so well for me.

Carl, I understand. I'm a Dad myself although not single so when my wife is with my son I make the time to play. Like you if it wasn't a short distance from home I'd play alot less. thanks again.

M

Come to my club in Westfield, NJ (NJ Table Tennis Club). Interesting people and great coaches.

Thanks Bryan. I've been there once to try and get some footwear but the sunday (opening time) that i went, the guy that had the keys to the merchandise room wasn't there and since I was there i was lucky enough to knock around with a member there. Forget his name though. Young kid, looked like he was in his late teens. REALLY GOOD player. I like that place alot. Awesome lighting. Nice atmoshpere. It's just a bit of a drive for me. I will let you know next time i'm planning to go. thnx. You should try out my club in Newport Jersey City, Wang Chen TT club. It's not as big as westfield but we get coaches from China
(who play professionally there) frequently and they give tips without having to pay for a lesson.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
guys there is a topic.
u could at least write one sentence about the topic instead of all these latest off-topic posts...