Afrobro's Handmade Blades

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
Thanks. Assuming you might mean cross plies/a ply at 90 degree angle?

Yes, that is what I meant. Locking veneer is what the dictionary told me.

Of course the carbon adds enough strength.

To me the picture of the seven ply blade didn't look like the grain of any veneer is at a 90° angle.

However I once had a Tibhar 3 ply hinoki blade to repair. Although the grain of the middle ply was at a 90° angle the blade did break because the middle ply was made out of two pieces that where joined at a 90° angle to the grain.

This user has no status.
Sure - you should be able to see it in this photo...at least a little if you look closely.

IMG_20180723_185559072.jpg

Look at the side of the handle and you will notice that the ply next to the core is horizontal.

This user has no status.
After a few Carbon blades and all Hinoki blades I've finally got around to trying a classic composition (Limba - Limba - Ayous - Limba - Limba) that I've been meaning to make for a while. I spent quite a long time playing with the Yasaka Sweden Extra which was great so I'm making a couple of blades around a similar speed.

This one came out at 89g and 5.8m thickness:

6.jpg 5.jpg 3.jpg 2.jpg 1.jpg

I also have a 7 ply on the go which I'm looking forward to testing out as it's quite a new composition. It will be Ayous - Anegre - Cedar of Lebanon - Anegre. It should come in at about 6.1mm thickness. I'm tempted to try this composition out with a few different medial plies as I really like all of the blades using Anegre that I've tried so far.

Reactions: yoass and bobpuls
This user has no status.
Hi all,

I haven't posted in a while for a number of reasons but I have still been making blades and trying out lots of new compositions with varying degrees of success. I'll try to upload some photos over the next few days as I've probably made around 20 blades and have a lot of to sort through but my latest favourite is below.

While I was waiting for the Nittaku Violin Carbon Inner to arrive from Japan, I decided to make my own version. It has arrived now and is an amazing blade (91g so 10g heavier than my regular Violin) but I'm a bit torn as to whether I'll stick to it or keep switching.

I didn't have a great stock of Kiri left so i decided to try drying out the Ayous wood that I had for the core - making it lighter and firmer. A few very short sessions in our regular oven on a low temp really dried it out nicely. After the Ayous core, I used a 90gsm Carbon fabric to try and reduce overall weight. Then, two thin layers of Ash - Epoxy throughout which was a first for me as I don't usually use it for wood - wood layers. The result really surprised me as it was lighter than my Violin Carbon at 85g. Considering Ayous blades are usually heavier, I have to think that drying out the wood made a considerable difference.

Ash 1.jpg Ash 2.jpg Ash 3.jpg Ash 4.jpg

After spending money on a blade or the first time in a while to try out the Violin Inner...I think I actually prefer the Ayous version and I'm a very conflicted about that! It might be that I'm used to playing with ayous blades but it has a wonderful feel, great control and plenty of speed for my game while the Violin just feels a little bit more like a chunky powerhouse and it really felt like it was a touch on the heavy side for me - I might have to work up to it as I'm not playing a massive amount at the moment.

and the photos of actual Violin Carbon Inner

IMG_20181019_082839226.jpg IMG_20181019_082730692.jpg IMG_20181019_082753956.jpg

I will try to update with some playing impressions from both soon but I've also been distracted by some new deliveries.

Textreme 64gsm

IMG_20181111_120340723.jpg

and some new stock of thicker limba (1mm and 1.5mm to experiment with) and very thin balsa to see what effects it could have as a medial ply (0.5mm and 0.8mm).

I'd be interested to hear any thoughts on Textreme, thick Limba or thin Balsa blade compositions to consider. I still have a large range of other woods including Ash, Elm, Obeche, Spruce, Hinoki, Walnut, Mahogany, Meranti, Red Western Cedar, Various Limba, Poplar, Anigre...and quite a few more.

Attachments

• IMG_20181111_120301800_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20181111_120301800_HDR.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 224
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Well, since nobody's replied so far, i will give it a go.

So then:
Before i've switched to Hinoki blades threeandahalf years ago i used to play with a Donic Waldner Dotec Carbon for about a year, which has Limba outer plies and a balsa core.

The Limba was nice for serve and receive, but the balsa offered a very non-linear, sometimes a bit surprising and unpredictable catapult, even though it felt stiff as a brick and not very responsive (which is also probably related to the blade's construction type, with a piece of metal in the handle and some cork around it.)

In the end it probably all boils down to personal preferences, bzu to it felt that this blade was more a hitter's blade than a looper's.

Btw: isn't Obeche, Abachi and Ayous all the same tree?

This user has no status.
Morning Suga - thanks for replying. I've made a few Balsa blades previously but only ever as a core. The 0.5mm Balsa is more like paper so it'll be interesting to see what effect that could have.

As far as I've read Obeche, Abachi and Ayous are all the same tree - with different names from different parts of Africa. I've nearly finished a new blade which is a first asymmetrical 5 wood + 1 90gsm Carbon ply, all Obeche. It was really just to try out a new handle design but I'm looking forward to testing it as I haven't played with an all Obeche blade before and I'm expecting it to have a lot of control.

IMG_20181112_094825.jpg IMG_20181112_085843549.jpg

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2016
Morning Suga - thanks for replying. I've made a few Balsa blades previously but only ever as a core. The 0.5mm Balsa is more like paper so it'll be interesting to see what effect that could have.

As far as I've read Obeche, Abachi and Ayous are all the same tree - with different names from different parts of Africa. I've nearly finished a new blade which is a first asymmetrical 5 wood + 1 90gsm Carbon ply, all Obeche. It was really just to try out a new handle design but I'm looking forward to testing it as I haven't played with an all Obeche blade before and I'm expecting it to have a lot of control.

View attachment 17874 View attachment 17875

Wow, that's some handle! great stuff. It must have taken some time. Great work.

Reactions: Suga D
How much is a sheet of textreme? The blades look good. I assume they will play good because they have compositions similar to popular blades. Suggestion though why not make some of the dark layers in the handle be darker so that they can make more contrast to the light layer and will look more beautiful.

This user has no status.
Thanks. I'll definitely be trying out some more designs with various woods and patterns when I get a chance. The woods used in this one were Walnut and Obeche.

The Textreme is more expensive than most but the 64gsm is so much lighter and I've been wanting to try it out for a while. It was around £50 per square meter which is about enough for 8 blades - making it £6.25 per blade (it gets cheaper the more you buy). I also have some 90gsm Carbon fabric, 160gsm Dynanotex spread tow and 187gsm Carbon/Zylon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tokieboi and Suga D
This user has no status.
New blades

Been a little while since I've updated this thread so just posting some pics and specs of blades from the last month or so. Any questions or suggestions always welcome.

Hinoki Textreme (FL)

11.JPG 12.JPG

7 Ply: Kiso Hinoki + Textreme 64 g/sm
Thickness: 4.8mm
Blade size: 155mm x 150mm
Weight: 77g
Handle: 100mm x 22mm

Western Red Cedar/Textreme/Kiso Hinoki (ST)

15.JPG 14.JPG 13.JPG

5 Ply: Western Red Cedar/Textreme/Kiso Hinoki
Thickness: 5.4mm
Blade size: 155mm x 145mm
Weight: 70g
Handle: 100mm x 28mm x 23mm

Burned Ayous/Ayous/Textreme/Koto (FL)

17.jpg 16.jpg 18.jpg 19.jpg

Thickness: 5.6mm
Weight: 86g

Burned Ayous/Ayous/Limba

21.jpg 25.jpg 22.jpg

5 Ply: Burned Ayous - Ayous - Limba
Thickness: 7.2mm
Blade size: 155mm x 146mm
Weight: 93g
Handle: 100mm x 28mm x 24mm

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2015
Read 5 reviews
Been a little while since I've updated this thread so just posting some pics and specs of blades from the last month or so. Any questions or suggestions always welcome.

Hinoki Textreme (FL)

View attachment 18236 View attachment 18237

7 Ply: Kiso Hinoki + Textreme 64 g/sm
Thickness: 4.8mm
Weight: 77g
Handle: 100mm x 22mm

Western Red Cedar/Textreme/Kiso Hinoki (ST)

View attachment 18238 View attachment 18239 View attachment 18240

5 Ply: Western Red Cedar/Textreme/Kiso Hinoki
Thickness: 5.4mm
Blade size: 155mm x 145mm
Weight: 70g
Handle: 100mm x 28mm x 23mm

Burned Ayous/Ayous/Textreme/Koto (FL)

View attachment 18241 View attachment 18242 View attachment 18243 View attachment 18244

Thickness: 5.6mm
Weight: 86g

Burned Ayous/Ayous/Limba

View attachment 18245 View attachment 18246 View attachment 18247

Wow. Stunning
[Emoji15]

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2016
Very nice blades AfroBro!
Some of them are incredible thin and light. Specially the 7 ply at 4.8 mm!!!
Have you tried them?
Also, have you already tried to make a j-pen blade?

This user has no status.
Thanks. I haven't tried all of them but usually anything between 5-6mm is fine for me. The 4.8mm was very thin but with the Textreme it should be strong enough. I expect it will probably give quite strong vibrations and I doubt it's too fast but it was a good experiment. Probably most pleased with the Textreme blade with Koto outer out of the lot.

Just made shakehand blades so far as I don't have any experience playing with anything else but hopefully I'll get around to trying some in the future.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2018
Afrobro, beautiful work! Some of those look like a looper’s dream! you wouldn’t happen to have an all wood Hinoki or Limba blade you would want to get rid of would you? Perhaps one you could sell affordably to a student? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
Thanks all.

@Nate: Thanks. I hadn't done much work with WRC before but I was really pleased with the grain patterns on the handles. I have another blade on the go at the moment with a new Wenge layered handle which is also looking great (pics to follow soon).

@realtor_dillon: I have more blades at the moment than I could ever hope to test! Will give you a PM.

says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
says Hi In first i want to thank you for your interest...
Feb 2015
Read 6 reviews
Really nice and clean job !
but this blade

Why it is so heavy ? i dont get it .... even the head size is small .