Tips for forehand topspin/loop

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
I saw a video that instead of dropping the ball on the floor the coach drops it onto a low wood stool behind the table to learn the forehand loop.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Generally, the advice for consistency is to go for less power. By the way, you are brave and persistent determined good to make vids like this and ask.

Looking at both of those vids, I do not see how you could go for less power and not be kissing the ball and tucking it in for the night. You were using 20-30 percent of power. That isn't bad in itself, one effective widely accepted approach to growing level is to start slow power, get the right biomechanics, and progressively up the power and frequency as you grow.

Looks to me like there is still a lot of pieces moving together on upper body, although you could tell a little arm snap. Your shots did not appear to have much spin, difficult to call it a loop. Gravity was helping you. Maybe we could tell a little better if you were hitting a meter off the table. You were impacting the ball a bit too far in front of the prime impact zone, or at least on the front edge of it. In a situation where you are using less power, or going for a cross corner shot, you might be able to get away with that.

Try showing us the same drill where you hit to all parts of the table... and also from different distances and with a more variety of power to the ball. This will give us more to work with to give you suggestions. I would also be curious to see how you handle looping a ball that has dropped below the table. In fact, this is a good way to force oneself to spin, as it is darned difficult to HIT a ball fast and land it when your impact is table level or below.

My only suggestion right now would be to allow the ball to come into your hitting zone a little deeper before impact, or move to the impact zone. Since this is a drill where you are pretty much stationary, I would say allow ball to come a little deeper into your zone.

Reactions: Andyzhao123
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
To get spin and power, Kim Jung Hoon in his vids is ALWAYS telling a player to wait a little longer for the ball and should have a feeling of "grabbing" or "catching" the ball at impact. If one is staying loose on grip pressure (and the rest of the needed muscles) and firming it up RIGHT AT OR DURING IMPACT, one is achieving this.

Whenever KJH finally gets the player to start letting the ball come deeper into the zone and hit it like he is catching and shooting it... the play does what looks like a loopdrive with good spin and the ball lands deep safely.

Trust your command of the strike zone and be able to take advantage of the good leverage you have allowing the ball to come to the middle of the zone before impact.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2016
I feel you are swinging in some strokes a bit too early (as previous expert poster Der_Echte mentioned) and you have a little delay at the swing back position but not in others. I think you would get a better whip action if you did not have this stopping action when you go back too early. This occurs when you use a robot in training as you really know where the ball is going so there there is a tendency for most people using a robot to swing back too early. You could try waiting more for the ball before the backswing and then move the right hip forward faster and see if the quality of spin and power of the stroke improves. I am no expert though.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
To everyone who posted, thank you so much for the help and advice! Even though this is four months late...

I went to China and trained with a private coach for most of August last Summer, and I've improved a lot, especially with everyone's advice. I'm getting a Wally Rebounder return board that's arriving in the next couple days now, and I'll make a second set of videos as soon as I can to improve my forehand even more. Again, thanks to everyone!

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
You could open up the angle if you have less spin, so the ball bounces higher.

You have a very long swing and a lot of body rotation just to apply a 30-40% power shot, but you are very consistent, not a lot of people are gunna make more than 10 in a row on a rebounder, unless they really slow it down.

This user has no status.

You have a very long swing and a lot of body rotation just to apply a 30-40% power shot, but you are very consistent, not a lot of people are gunna make more than 10 in a row on a rebounder, unless they really slow it down.

Thank you for the response! Is there a way to make it so that there is a lot of spin but also have lots of speed as well?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
Try to use your waist/hip and arm simultaneously. right now your arm goes first and then the body follows. Try to tense your ABS when playing the shot and you will see that you will do it at the same time.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Agree very much.

If you are aiming for more spin, maybe you can find a chopper or someone who gives you a lot of under spin, because then you'll need to open the racket angle, really brush the ball to lift it up high enough. That could give you the feel.

Sent from my ZTE Grand S II LTE using Tapatalk

From your latest video I see that you have developed a good feel for the impact and you grab the ball better. Still you take the ball too early. Try to take it later at table level, add more power and position the board to return your balls deaper. Concentrate on faster swing acceleration and thinner brush. Anyway you are doing very well.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
One thing I notice is the OP is a toe-first walker. Studies have shown it's 10% less efficient than heel-first. That could have a long-term negative impact on your power generation in table tennis.

https://uanews.arizona.edu/story/why-we-walk-our-heels-instead-our-toes
They looked at the differences between those asked to walk normally and those asked to walk toe-first. They found that toe-first walkers moved slower and had to work 10 percent harder than those walking with a conventional stride, and that conventional walkers' limbs were, in essence, 15 centimeters longer than toe-first walkers.
When the researchers sped up the treadmill to look at the transition from walking to running, they also found that toe-first walkers switched to running at lower speeds than regular walkers, further showing that toe-first walking is less efficient for humans.

https://archive.unews.utah.edu/news_releases/the-cost-of-being-on-your-toes/
Carrier speculates that a heel-first foot posture “may be advantageous during fighting by increasing stability and applying more torque to the ground to twist, push and shove. And it increases agility in rapid turning maneuvers during aggressive encounters.”

Last edited:
One thing I notice is the OP is a toe-first walker. Studies have shown it's 10% less efficient than heel-first. That could have a long-term negative impact on your power generation in table tennis.

I agree with this - heel to toe makes weight transfer and swing more effective both for power and spin.