Tips for forehand topspin/loop

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Thought that was also one of the first lessons in footwork. Just like a lower body position which is *not* efficient but makes your muscle burn, but lets you move faster... Maybe zeio was just pulling our legs, can't be serious.
I personally think a person's step is quicker when on their toes.

Sent from my ZTE Grand S II LTE using Tapatalk

Reactions: Andyzhao123
Every stroke is a system of movements and what kind of movements one would engage in this system depends on the many particular factors defining the players' zone position and the incoming ball characteristics.
Every movement in the syatem has many different phases.
Footwork has different phases too and these phases can be divided to 2 main systems - position placement and stroke execution.
Position placement has its own phases, the execution of a stroke has its own movement phases and every different kind of stroke needs different movement with different phases.
Zone positioning movements engage fast toes dynamics.
Loop strokes mechanics need proper weight transfer and well timed swing, starting from the toe. But to execute it effectively you have to simulate the ending phase of a zone placement movement - heel encoring - and to continue with the stroke phases - heel to toe weight and swing.
If you look at some experienced or pro players videos you will see that they are always on that kind of movements, nevermind that they stay at the very same zone.

This user has no status.
Shake hands vs c-pen is not a religious issue to me. What force or impulse can I generate that I can't with the other?

One of the most important things to learn is how to loop a push or back spin serve. The natural tendency is to rotate your upper arm around your shoulder. This results in the paddle going forward before going up resulting in the paddle moving in an arc. This is not good. Start with the paddle behind your knee. The swing should be in a plane. The attitude the paddle should change as little as possible during the time the ball can hit the paddle. If the paddle's attitude is always changing the ball will go to different places depending on whether you hit the ball a few milliseconds early or late. avoid reaching.

Find a robot and practicing hitting the ball and listen to the sound. Gradually close the paddle angle so you are brushing the ball more but you will need to swing faster. Use your legs and body to twist and provide extra speed. If you keep closing the paddle you will notice the sound changes since the ball is only stretching the top sheet of the rubber. The sound will be quieter. Your timing must be very good to do this because the effective area of the paddle is reduces as you close the paddle.

Get someone to watch the trajectory of the balls you hit. If you are looping well the observer should see the ball dive toward the table faster than normal. After the ball hits the table it should jump forward faster and lower than normal. When you achieve this you are truly looping not just putting top spin on the ball.

When playing I am not too concerned about the arc. High arcs will result in high bounces that will be attacked. I am also not to concerned about the ball skipping forward towards the opponent if the ball is moving quickly. Placement and speed are the key. The amount of top spin should be just enough to achieve the goal of placing the ball where you want as quickly as possible. The top spin is not a goal in itself.

Great explanation! Yours is truly a textbook example of fh attack.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
I just posted a new thread. Check the front page.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
From your latest video I see that you have developed a good feel for the impact and you grab the ball better. Still you take the ball too early. Try to take it later at table level, add more power and position the board to return your balls deaper. Concentrate on faster swing acceleration and thinner brush. Anyway you are doing very well.

And if you can't overcome the instinct to hit the ball at the highest point, there is a simple fix for that. Back of a by a foot length so that you can't reach it at the highest point and then you will be forced to hit the ball only there where you can reach it -about the table hight and then you will also be forced to do a more upward movement to lift the ball over the net..

Jan 2018
Personally, I'd hit the ball just like how you do right now. Your stroke looks good. To get good spin, you need a higher swing speed, and that comes from the legs, hence my previous comment.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Thanks for all the help so far. Thanks to all of you...again!
I've practiced a bit more now, but I can't really hit the ball that low consistently (up to 4 hits), likely due to how I find difficulty "judging" the ball quickly (height, speed, trajectory). Any advice?

Yeah. The main thing is, the stroke is good, the habits are good. The more you practice, the better your feel for the stroke will improve.

exactly. by consciously practising over and over you will wire more info into the brain on the expected path of the ball and get a better judgement on the ball trajectory eery next time

This user has no status.
I'm back again! I tried to use a bit more power today, along with hitting a bit lower than I did before. Sooooooooooooooo... here's some footage:

The ending has more power than the beginning. Should I have more of an upwards technique or keep my current technique? Should I use more hip power? Are there any minor or major changes I should have?

I feel like I've improved a lot. Again, thank you all for helping so far!

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
To be fair, with a rebound board, you can only hit it so hard before the ball rebounds out too far.

These boards are great for practicing everything contributing to being consistent using the 30% power.

You are hitting it over 10 times in a row, that is good. There are a lot of little things that need to be done to be able to do ten reps in a row and a lot of these translate into a repeatable offensive stroke in a rally in a real match under pressure.

Things I would exhort any player doing a drill like this is to pay attention to balance, stance, control of strike zone, bio mechanic movement, power transfer, grip pressure control, recovery.

We are seeing you get enough of these right at 30%, we would need to see how you apply these in a more dynamic situation requiring more power.

For the purposes of this kind of exercise, you are doing quite well. I might not look as good as you if it is Der_Echte doing this drill. I really suck at repetitive low power drills. Coaches in Korea groaned at my lack of ability to even the simplest FH to FH drill they love on... but when they saw I could spin the ball heavy or for power in matches, they got over their headaches quickly enough.

I say that to put the drill in perspective and not over analyze it. That drill is a building block to establish a good foundation for your base FH to be repeatable, adaptable, dynamic, powerful or less when needed.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
It is a whole new thing to use short hip or long hip explosion for the 70/80 and 90/100 percent power shots... a whole different deal. Ditto for the timing of acceleration of the parts for the whip and power, ditto for the firm up of grip right at impact... it is all a completely different thing.

Still, the basic foundations established by these kind of drills give you the position and leverage to be able to start doing the more powerful shots, so one shouldn't discount the kind of drill you are doing too much, nor should anyone call it everything.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2017
I have some doubt, after you do those drillings, do you feel pain in your shoulder? I mean not less than 30 mins of practice.
I'm back again! I tried to use a bit more power today, along with hitting a bit lower than I did before. Sooooooooooooooo... here's some footage:

The ending has more power than the beginning. Should I have more of an upwards technique or keep my current technique? Should I use more hip power? Are there any minor or major changes I should have?

I feel like I've improved a lot. Again, thank you all for helping so far!

Enviado desde mi Moto G (4) mediante Tapatalk

This user has no status.
I have some doubt, after you do those drillings, do you feel pain in your shoulder? I mean not less than 30 mins of practice.

Enviado desde mi Moto G (4) mediante Tapatalk

I’ve get tiredness, but I’ve never experienced shoulder pain after practicing. Maybe I’m not practicing long enough, or I just have good shoulders or something, I really don’t know.

This user has no status.
To be fair, with a rebound board, you can only hit it so hard before the ball rebounds out too far.

These boards are great for practicing everything contributing to being consistent using the 30% power.

You are hitting it over 10 times in a row, that is good. There are a lot of little things that need to be done to be able to do ten reps in a row and a lot of these translate into a repeatable offensive stroke in a rally in a real match under pressure.

Things I would exhort any player doing a drill like this is to pay attention to balance, stance, control of strike zone, bio mechanic movement, power transfer, grip pressure control, recovery.

We are seeing you get enough of these right at 30%, we would need to see how you apply these in a more dynamic situation requiring more power.

For the purposes of this kind of exercise, you are doing quite well. I might not look as good as you if it is Der_Echte doing this drill. I really suck at repetitive low power drills. Coaches in Korea groaned at my lack of ability to even the simplest FH to FH drill they love on... but when they saw I could spin the ball heavy or for power in matches, they got over their headaches quickly enough.

I say that to put the drill in perspective and not over analyze it. That drill is a building block to establish a good foundation for your base FH to be repeatable, adaptable, dynamic, powerful or less when needed.

Thank you so much for the response. As for how you mentioned hitting the ball at full power and speed, what do you recommend for me to do to practice hitting at full speed and power?

This user has no status.
If you can find a hitting partner who can block for you, then you can hit at full power and speed with the added benefit of a more realistic ball coming back at you. I also use the same return board and find it quite useful in developing consistency in my strokes. You are very consistent with your strokes at a reduced power; it looks good. If you close the angle of the board more you can definitely hit harder with more speed and spin. That's going to be more challenging for sure...

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Avenger answered well.

A return board wasn't designed for you to repeatedly hit at 70 to 80 percent power. You need live player for that.

You COULD try moving the return board further away from the end of the table and make the return board angle a bit more verticle... That might get the ball to come back, but at that distance, you would need nearly the same speed spin and depth of bounce to do even 5 in a row... a difficult task for the rebounder. Possible, but maybe not worth it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk