Pips v inverted on FH

says Xxxxxz
says Xxxxxz
Jan 2015
Can anyone point me in the direction of some good youtube videos showing the difference between playing normal inverted and short pips on the FH? I'm watching Mattius Karlsson at the moment and really like his game style, but I'm struggling to see any difference between how he plays his forehand compared to how you play a FH with normal inverted rubbers. It looks like pretty much exactly the same stroke that he's doing. I know he's playing with Rakza PO which is quite a spinny rubber so is it really the case that he's just playing a SP as if it were an inverted?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
Can anyone point me in the direction of some good youtube videos showing the difference between playing normal inverted and short pips on the FH? I'm watching Mattius Karlsson at the moment and really like his game style, but I'm struggling to see any difference between how he plays his forehand compared to how you play a FH with normal inverted rubbers. It looks like pretty much exactly the same stroke that he's doing. I know he's playing with Rakza PO which is quite a spinny rubber so is it really the case that he's just playing a SP as if it were an inverted?

Jörgen Persson was talking quite a lot about Mattias playing style when he was commentating the WTTC for Swedish Television a few weeks ago. I understood it as Mattias is hitting quite flat most of the time. Jörgen was saying that Mattias was "smashing" even though it looked like drives to me.

This user has no status.
I agree with that assessment. I have played some with Rakza PO and used to play years ago with Butterfly Challenger C4 a short pips rubber. I used both on them on the backhand, but I think the lessons learned would be the same on the forehand.

I can tell you that pips tend to have the ball drop off the paddle much faster that inverted (I think everyone knows that) and so you have to use a spinning drive motion just to get the ball over the net. This was really true with the old C4 pips out, but is still true with Rakza PO, if possibly to a lesser extent. Still it is enough so, that I took it off the backhand side of the paddle I was using and replaced it with Mk V.