Anyone know (or can tell) the exact wood composition of the DHS301?

says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
All I know for certain is that the outer ply is koto, but as for the inner ply and core I haven't a clue nor can I tell as I know nothing about wood

Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
Alright. May I ask how you know this? Are you an expert in wood?
I want to have a blade commissioned and it's critical for me that this be accurate

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
It's fairly common knowledge. http://stervinou.net/ttbdb/liste.php The Tornado King Power from Nittaku also has the same composition.

The actual construction of these blades may differ in ply thickness/quality, as well as orientation and glues. Although a custom blade may appear to be similar, there is clearly no guarantee that it will be "better". If you want a better 301, the N301 may be it, although very difficult to obtain, and until you try it, you won't know if it is "better" in the way you want. My H301s play very much like each other (but I prefer one over the other); most of the difference is in the rubber, with which it is easier to experiment.

Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
The DHS H301 does not appear in that database so I wouldn't say it's common knowledge.
Besides, I don't care about common knowledge, I'm looking for expert knowledge :)

Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
Thanks.

Does anyone know for certain by any chance?

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
If what you want is a 301, you may as well get a 301. If you give a custom blade maker the wood plies you want and even get the exact thickness of each ply, they still may not treat the wood the same way DHS does. They may use different glue. There are a number of other factors that will change the feel of the blade.

Also, the weave of ALC that a custom blade maker acquires may be totally TOTALLY different from the ALC weave used by DHS.

darcula has given you good info and all the info you need. No need to ridicule him for trying to help you.

Sent from The Subterranean Workshop by Telepathy

Last edited:
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
That is of course true but I have 2 H301s and while both are incredible blades I've noticed that there are certain small inconsistencies in the make of them which I think will be much improved were the medial layers and core made of one piece of carefully chosen wood, better quality wood at that, and the absolute guarantee of craftsmanship.

Besides I'm already getting something made anyway so I may as well get something for me also. It's a family tradition that when you get something for someone you get something a bit better for yourself :p

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
By the way, the koto layer of the DHS H301 is dyed grey, but the medial ply is white while the core is more cream-wood color.

So I also suspect that the veneer may be not the same wood as the core, but again, I don't know. An expert is needed :)

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
By the way, the koto layer of the DHS H301 is dyed grey, but the medial ply is white while the core is more cream-wood color.

So I also suspect that the veneer may be not the same wood as the core, but again, I don't know. An expert is needed :)

These things you are talking about here go under the category of how DHS has treated the individual plies. Which they are likely not going to reveal.

This user has no status.
prott.vip calls the N301 an upgraded version of the W968. with the only difference beeing the outer layer koto instead of limba and using a different glue.

So Darucla already gave you the information you needed.

the h301 is the commercial version like the HL5 for the W968.
So if you want a more consistent (``better``) version of your H301, you can get a N301.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
The DHS H301 does not appear in that database so I wouldn't say it's common knowledge.
Besides, I don't care about common knowledge, I'm looking for expert knowledge :)

Common knowledge merely indicates that something is well known. It can still be expert knowledge, regardless of whether you care about it or not since knowledge and facts are not dependent on whether you care or not. Cheers.

Reactions: ttmonster
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
Common knowledge merely indicates that something is well known. It can still be expert knowledge, regardless of whether you care about it or not since knowledge and facts are not dependent on whether you care or not. Cheers.

What does this even mean? You are aware that no expert knowledge was supplied, nor any indication that this 'common' knowledge is actual expert knowledge, which also goes along with the fact that the site he gave has wrong compositions for some of the blades. Thus basically making everything said more suspicious than even regular common knowledge.

In short, he said nothing really useful, despite his genuine desire to help, and you added even less since even that desire is absent.

Why can't people simply answer a question if they know the answer or not answer if they don't? eh.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
What does this even mean? You are aware that no expert knowledge was supplied, nor any indication that this 'common' knowledge is actual expert knowledge, which also goes along with the fact that the site he gave has wrong compositions for some of the blades. Thus basically making everything said more suspicious than even regular common knowledge.

In short, he said nothing really useful, despite his genuine desire to help, and you added even less since even that desire is absent.

Why can't people simply answer a question if they know the answer or not answer if they don't? eh.

What this means is that you cannot juxtapose common knowledge against expert knowledge the way you did. I made no comment about the facts presented, merely about your incorrect juxtaposition.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Koto, ayous. alc, ayous, alc, ayous, koto. Only limba changed to koto from HL V.

prott.vip calls the N301 an upgraded version of the W968. with the only difference beeing the outer layer koto instead of limba and using a different glue.

So Darucla already gave you the information you needed.

the h301 is the commercial version like the HL5 for the W968.
So if you want a more consistent (``better``) version of your H301, you can get a N301.

Lightzy, to me, it looks like the information has already been supplied.

I gave the added information that the color differences you were referring to probably have something to do with how DHS treats each individual ply.

But you seem to want something that, I don't think anyone from TTDaily can supply. And I actually think Astorix's suggestion that you think about getting the N301. It probably will be more of what you are looking for than if you try to have a blade maker make a clone of the blade you have. And there is no question that DHS has access to an ALC weave that will be different from whatever a custom blade maker can get their hands on.

You should also know that the issue of the specific ALC weave....that is what makes it so hard for other manufacturers to duplicate Butterfly ALC blades. They try. But they are not able to get the same exact source material. I got this information from an R&D guy who works for Xiom. They try to figure out exactly what Butterly is using but they just haven't gotten it right yet. Or, at least, 5 years ago, that was the case. :)

Last edited:
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
Yeah I've read about that somewhere. That they source their ALC weaves from sources they keep secret etc :)

Yeah I guess the N301 is the best choice if so. I wonder if it's truly available or fake. In any case I see them sold for 800$ while even artificer custom blades are a tiny fraction of that, so that still may be the best choice. Either that or stay with H301 which seems like what I'll probably end up doing.

Last edited:
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yeah I've read about that somewhere. That they source their ALC weaves from sources they keep secret etc :)

Yeah I guess the N301 is the best choice if so. I wonder if it's truly available or fake. In any case I see them sold for 800$ while even artificer custom blades are a tiny fraction of that, so that still may be the best choice. Either that or stay with H301 which seems like what I'll probably end up doing.

Sounds fair to me. Pretty good and not too expensive.

There would also be nothing wrong with having a custom blade maker make you something. You would just have to understand, it would probably not play like the blade you were trying to copy.

My experience with custom blade makers is that, if you let them make what they make best and sort of specify how you want it to feel they will make you something that is better and more worthwhile than if you get them to try and make a clone of a blade you would want.

This user has no status.

N301 is on sale at prott for 350 USD