Having a Butterfly dilemma

This user has no status.
I decided to get some practice last night and got hitting with this great local player. I've been using my current setup for 2 seasons now (the carbonado with 05fx and 25fx) and always felt like something was off despite my improving play, but it was only after playing with this man that I realised my issue. After a few hits he could tell I was using tenergy, however he was very surprised at my choice of blade, saying that I wasnt getting the most out of the tenergy with my blade. He then handed me his blade, which was a Primorac Off+ with 25 on both sides.

WOW. What a difference!

Now I know that the rubbers were the standard version and not the soft versions like I use, but right away I could have solid contact with little vibration and further more, I couldn't feel the ball hit the blade (if that makes sense). What caught me off guard was after a few rallies I went back to my old bat, where I was struggling to hit, just because I was discovering exactly how much effort I was having to put into the shot with my blade compared to using a butterfly blade. For the last 2 seasons, I discovered that I was having issues with creating pace and ended up in a counterhitting game, which while it suits my play, I found myself struggling when it came to attacking. I tried to put normal versions of tenergy on my blade, but the balance was just so top heavy that I was unable to perform any shots that I was used to. When picking up the Primorac (and other butterfly blades with tenergy that other league players have used), I could feel the balance, and it wasn't heavy.

So I'm at a bit of a dilemma, because I know that I want to get a butterfly blade, however, I'm not just going to pick up a Primorac and use it, just because of a quick 5 min hit with it (plus I also know its too fast for me), so it still leaves me at what to pick up. I know that most ALC blades are identical, but a boll ALC would probably suit me more than a Jike ALC, however would something like a Mizutani ZLC suit me due to my topspin game (as I play a lot of backhand loops). The best way to describe my game: Backhand heavy with my FH being used to looping/smashing, blocking/counterhitting on the BH (as I would because of my T25fx) in a controlled game

Reactions: BeGo
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
I tried to put normal versions of tenergy on my blade, but the balance was just so top heavy that I was unable to perform any shots that I was used to.

This would have been my recommendation, in case the soft versions "eat up" too much of your shots` energy. Otherwise, I find it difficult to understand why you have to put so much effort into your shots with a Carbonado 145 - a blade that two Stiga professionals in my circle of friends put aside because they felt it was too fast. Are you sure everything is ok with the blade itself?

As for recommendations, you should try a few of these Butterfly blades, they are all worth their price but between ALC, ZLC and ZLF you´ll have to find the one that suits your game best.

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl
says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Yeah. I have to be honest. This doesn't make sense to me to such an extent I wasn't going to say anything.

It does sound like you just don't love the FX rubbers. However, it also sounds like you want to EJ a little.

The idea that you hit with a blade that had T25 on it and that you didn't bottom out surprised you made me scratch my head. T25 with those giant pimples is quite an odd rubber and definitely not as prone to bottoming out as T05fx.:) I know people who have liked T25fx. The soft sponge gives you something different with those giant pimples. And T25 gives you something good over the table and in return of serve. But you have to change your technique a lot to loop away from the table with that rubber.

Add that, that T25 was on a Primorac Carbon, lets call that a rocket-ship, and that is one odd combination. However, if the setup works for your friend, I am not going to judge that. There are a few decent level players using T25. Just not that many because of what an odd rubber it is. So, if his game has grooved around that setup, why not.

But to me, it sounds like you just would like to try one of the Butterfly blades. Why not. I won't ask why you think a Boll ALC would suit you more than a ZJK ALC after noting they are pretty darn close to identical. It doesn't matter. Get the blade you want. Jun Mizutani blade should be good for you too. So would the Apolonia, the Frietas and the Kenta. Choose whichever you want. They are all good. And by all means get regular Tenergy, whichever numbers you choose. If you don't like the softer versions, why not get the standard ones.

No need to question why. Get what you want.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skully and BeGo
says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
says The trick to lose the sight of big picture is to focus...
Aug 2013
Read 3 reviews
Ok, I agree with the OP regarding the balance of the blade. I tried Stiga Clipper wood 93 gms. With Rakza 7 on both sides, the blade was around 196 gms (edge tape included) this was a bit too much for me. But I feel that Stiga has best feeling and best master FL handle hands down. However, I switch to Zhang Jike ALC ST handle 86 gms. Now the entire setup with 2 Tenergy 05 rubbers is 186 gms exactly. May be the total weight is kind of a misnomer here since the entire setup feels very well balanced. So, yes, butterfly for has the best balance for the entire setup and hence the cost. I started disliking too top heavy blades after I started using butterfly. But hey, I am not a pro and this is just my opinion. So please use this input with a pinch of salt and better try out some setups before putting in the moolah.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
KM1976 uses a pinch of salt... A lot of times, you need to take what I say with a whole DUUMMPP TRUCK of salt.

Having said that, Primorac Carbon with T25 is a non-stop hitting machine to punish the ball on basically ONE type of shot - a very FAST drive. If that is what your friend is good at, moar power to him. Me, if that setup wouldn't cost the huge money it does, I would take a propane burning torch to the whole setup right after I pour a few liters of fuels over it just to make sure I finished the job right.

This user has no status.
Thanks for the comments and advice. In terms of using Primorac, no way. It was fun to hit with, but I would not get the results I want out of it when I rely a lot on my loops. I know people talk about the change in action required for T25, but its something I'm well aware of, as I had to make changes when going to 25FX but it was a change that suited my game and actually allowed me to improve my all round game with passive shots, blocks and also attacking shots, although I still think I can hit the perfect BH loop against a chop with it, when I can't because I haven't changed the action and it always hits the net, but long range hitting is good for me.

I'm going to look at getting a JM ZLC after looking around at stuff online, hopefully the block isnt too much when I put some 25 on the backhand, but I can always swap that for 05 on both sides if I can't get what I'm after during the summer league break. It's a little handy that its just practice practice and keeping fit thanks to the off season for our league

Reactions: UpSideDownCarl