This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
Exact same pattern at 10:11 and 12:13, FZD serving. He served a side-top and got a loose return, but somehow held back and gave back an even looser ball.
Did ML's receive touch the net on those points? He raised his hand in apology both times, which makes me think the pushes from FZD were not mental hiccups but rather attempts to adjust to some unexpected change in the ball's flight path, possibly due to net cords that we (viewers) didn't notice?

Reactions: Andy44
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Did ML's receive touch the net on those points? He raised his hand in apology both times, which makes me think the pushes from FZD were not mental hiccups but rather attempts to adjust to some unexpected change in the ball's flight path, possibly due to net cords that we (viewers) didn't notice?

Just double checked the match. No, didn't touch the net. ML raised his hand probably because he popped them up on both times, which should've translated into winners for FZD, who probably expected tight returns instead.

BTW, there's a name for that return - 立短, to stand short, literally, usually against (side)backspin balls, which is the cousin of 擺短, to place short, literally, usually against (side)topspin balls.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2012
Just double checked the match. No, didn't touch the net. ML raised his hand probably because he popped them up on both times, which should've translated into winners for FZD, who probably expected tight returns instead.

BTW, there's a name for that return - 立短, to stand short, literally, usually against (side)backspin balls, which is the cousin of 擺短, to place short, literally, usually against (side)topspin balls.

Yeah, you're right (I watched again too). Sometimes those off-pace, slightly popped up returns can be the toughest to deal with.
Any love for the point at 8-6 in game 5? (Sadly coinciding with Adam's most over the top reaction).

Last edited:
Reactions: Atas Newton
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Speaking of women's final: Zhu Yuling, Chen Meng, Sun Yingsha and Wang Manyu have been taking turns in looking ridiculously overpowered and out of reach of the rest of the field, including the mighty duo of Ding Ning and Liu Shiwen. Seriously, each better than the last one. Must be something in the water over there in China. I consider all of us table tennis fans super lucky to have all of them compete for Tokyo in the next couple years.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2011
Results from Day 6 - Finals (Sun 03 June 2018):

Men's Singles

[1] Fan Zhendong 1:4 Ma Long [5] (11:7, 8:11, 4:11, 3:11, 12:14)

Women's Singles

[9] Ding Ning 3:4 Wang Manyu [4] (11:13, 11:9, 11:9, 9:11, 8:11, 11:9, 5:11)

Men's Doubles

[6] Fan Zhendong/Lin Gaoyuan 3:0 Ovidiu Ionescu/Alvaro Robles (11:9, 11:4, 11:4)

Women's Doubles

[5] Ding Ning/Zhu Yuling 3:1 Jeon Jihee/Yang Haeun [3] (11:9, 11:5, 4:11, 11:5)

Source: https://bornanblob.blob.core.windows.net/ittf-web-results/html/TTE2817/results_2018-06-03.html

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017

Both returns were off the edge of the blade and crossed up FZD, so he was off balance and couldn't capitalize. One at 11-10 and the other on match point at 12-13. Very unlucky for FZD. That's why ML apologized.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
Some of the shots that ML is putting into the ultra wide BH are just....incredible.
He is winning games these days without FH rips. I only saw one FH in that game to FZD's wide FH where I was like "wow". Most of his other FHs were well placed without full power.
Just amazing to watch the variety of spin, speed and placement that ML puts on the ball.
FZD will need to take a page from his book and back down on power. Pick his shots to blast, but not all of them.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Some of the shots that ML is putting into the ultra wide BH are just....incredible.
He is winning games these days without FH rips. I only saw one FH in that game to FZD's wide FH where I was like "wow". Most of his other FHs were well placed without full power.
Just amazing to watch the variety of spin, speed and placement that ML puts on the ball.
FZD will need to take a page from his book and back down on power. Pick his shots to blast, but not all of them.

Zhang Jike spoke about the same problem when facing Ma Long when both were younger. He said his style was always to try to seize the initiative and that Ma Long was such a good counter player that he just ran up against a brick wall. Until he learned to try to control the play enough to vary the points, he was never competitive even though he felt he should have been. But when he learned to do it, things opened up.

That said, Ma Long didn't have the backhand then that he has now.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Quoting from ITTF :
"Overall, he now appeared in 38 ITTF World Tour Men’s Singles finals and has won 26 times; he is just one win behind the all-time leader Vladimir Samsonov of Belarus."

I am sure ML would soon surpass this record and it will be never be surpassed again.

And I am more sure than ever, ML will be the only player to achieve double grand slam in the sport.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Sep 2017
Read 2 reviews
Quoting from ITTF :
"Overall, he now appeared in 38 ITTF World Tour Men’s Singles finals and has won 26 times; he is just one win behind the all-time leader Vladimir Samsonov of Belarus."

I am sure ML would soon surpass this record and it will be never be surpassed again.

And I am more sure than ever, ML will be the only player to achieve double grand slam in the sport.

He is untouchable

Jan 2018
I am both very happy and a little sad for you that you did, ZJK's interview was a pleasure to watch and extremely thoughtful. 100 thanks for the translations. Set up a patreon page some time.
After subbing 80 interviews for 2 weeks nonstop, I finally got the chance to crawl over and sign up on Patreon, https://www.patreon.com/gnopgnip. It's empty for the time being. Will start working on it later. I need a break.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Big thanks for the effort and quality subs!

After subbing 80 interviews for 2 weeks nonstop, I finally got the chance to crawl over and sign up on Patreon, https://www.patreon.com/gnopgnip. It's empty for the time being. Will start working on it later. I need a break.

Reactions: bobpuls
Jan 2018
no need to make it ITTF's thing...
it suffices when ANYBODY who has watched the videos zeio subbed and read interviews/articles zeio translated
feels that it realy is "amazing work" and that they benefited from it
that they just chip in (the links are on the bottom of each of his posts) and make him benefit as well...
i can feel he makes his "amazing work" with passion and primarilly not for making money from it
but got the feeling too that it's just basic decency to acknowledge our thanks and his great effort not only verbally...:eek:

Honestly, I feel I could make more for an hour of relatively light work at the convenience store. Subbing videos is a very inefficient way to make money, so to speak. The time spent is exponential to the length of the videos. It's much more complicated than translating a piece of text. I have to grab the video, upload it on Youtube, then comes the most time consuming process, listen to what's said, transcribe and translate the dialog, type it in and then time(sync) the translation with the video. Oftentimes, I have to reword entire sentences so that they fit within the timestamps, so viewers don't have to pause to read. It's typical for me to go back and forth multiple times to make sure I got it right. Sometimes, they slur to the point, which is very common for Mandarin in Northern China, that a line could take like forever. I'm often like what the fuq are they speaking?

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=502
In other words, there's an enormous amount of slurring and swallowing of consonants in Beijing colloquial. A lot of times one has to guess at meanings pretty much on the basis of vowel contours.

One more thing. I'm not making anything on Youtube, currently. They changed the monetization policy when I created the channel, requiring a channel to have at least 1,000 subscribers and 4,000 hours of view time before one can qualify for a review process, which decides if you're worth getting paid. The truth is I have 51 subscribers only, well, I got like 20 more this past week, but I still doubt I'll hit that amount of subscribers with my unpopular subs.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Honestly, I feel I could make more for an hour of relatively light work at the convenience store. Subbing videos is a very inefficient way to make money, so to speak. The time spent is exponential to the length of the videos. It's much more complicated than translating a piece of text. I have to grab the video, upload it on Youtube, then comes the most time consuming process, listen to what's said, transcribe and translate the dialog, type it in and then time(sync) the translation with the video. Oftentimes, I have to reword entire sentences so that they fit within the timestamps, so viewers don't have to pause to read. It's typical for me to go back and forth multiple times to make sure I got it right. Sometimes, they slur to the point, which is very common for Mandarin in Northern China, that a line could take like forever. I'm often like what the fuq are they speaking?

http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=502

One more thing. I'm not making anything on Youtube, currently. They changed the monetization policy when I created the channel, requiring a channel to have at least 1,000 subscribers and 4,000 hours of view time before one can qualify for a review process, which decides if you're worth getting paid. The truth is I have 51 subscribers only, well, I got like 20 more this past week, but I still doubt I'll hit that amount of subscribers with my unpopular subs.

An alternative is talking over the commentary - it doesn't always feel as authentic to some people, but it can be easier. You can also pause in between the question and response and just post a black screen with your translations. The point is not to make you work to death, your value is in communicating the ideas in a way we can understand.

Last edited: