Forehand topspin feedback wanted and general feedback is most welcome

says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
Advice is to bend your knees a LOT more and hit the ball going up and forward, instead of just forward.
Then you'll have really quality topspin

Reactions: andy77
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
The biggest thing I see missing is the skip step before serve receive , after serving , and between shots. Your friend seems to be doing it and you should ask him for some tips to improve the footwork.
On the specific forehand shot , I personally feel that the current stroke is too big ... its very difficult to involve the body in the stroke if the stroke is too big , you should focus on using forearm snap along with weight transfer instead of swinging all the way from the shoulder ... I know its very enticing to do that ... but in general if the basics are not strong enough its very easy to find yourself out of position and reaching out with hand to do the shot ... which results in loss of power ... remember most of the power in table tennis is produced using the body not the arm and timing .. .

generic tip : Instead of emulating chinese players considering your physical structure I would try to emulate Vladi for your strokes ...

Last edited:
This user has no status.
thank you so much for your constructive feedback. my coach has mentioned a few tactics of Vladi. Yea my coach hasnt gone into service receiving or servicing yet, so copying what i see.
Yes!, I get you how theres a skip! I see, so when you say the stroke is large, is it because my elbow is too far from body? how to stop (or reduce) swinging from shoulder?
thanks in advance

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Yes the elbow is too far away from the body .. will not let you learn about the forearm snap ... for now keep it close with a fists distance from your body and then snap the forearm ... especially when you are close to the table .. a step away .. add more rotation and weight transfer but the arm will remain the same ..... its only when you are further back , mid distance away from the table should you swing from your shoulder .. .once your basics are fine you can experiment but not when you are trying to build your stroke ....
thank you so much for your constructive feedback. my coach has mentioned a few tactics of Vladi. Yea my coach hasnt gone into service receiving or servicing yet, so copying what i see.
Yes!, I get you how theres a skip! I see, so when you say the stroke is large, is it because my elbow is too far from body? how to stop (or reduce) swinging from shoulder?
thanks in advance

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Free Pro-Tip... When filming practice or a match between two right handed players, never, ever, no NOT place camera on the left side (Backhand Corner angle) if you want anyone to watch the vids and see anything. That angle has the player on the camera side blocking most of the action. Place the camera in the wide FH Corner angle and we will be able to a lot more.

As for your FH topspin... WHICH FH Topspin would you like advice on? There are many. The one you seem to use the most is the FH Loop-Kill. You get some power on it, but you are still sapping energy. As a big dude, you do indeed generate some power from those hips, but it all gets wasted as you seem to lock up your shoulders and entire arm before impact. You cannot transfer max power that way, even so, you try to re-generate from the back of shoulders and abs... you can regenerate some, but it will be less and out of control. The FH is a sequence of independent muscle movements that create kinetic energy, channel it, and amplify it. The timing of these movements is crucial... way more than trying for raw power from upper body. The timing and loose acceleration with a firming at impact deliver your force.

What I said above applies to all FH topspins, but each ball has its own incoming speed, trajectory, and spin... you have to adapt. Position is crucial, control of impact zone is crucial. You correct with bat angle, grip pressure, swing plane, and height/depth of strike zone. Your stance and approach to the ball also determine where/how it is going and how effective you can transfer power. You wont make much power without your right foot back, unless you are stepping to the ball over the table.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Looking at the vid sum moar, often you are impacting out of zone, like way in front, sometimes too close to body... a few times, on balls you struck very well, you get down and wait for ball to enter the prime impact zone, or you moved forward to place yourself middle of zone. Sometimes you stand with feet too close together. It is difficult to move from that position.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I have to be honest, if you have a coach, he will probably be able to help your FH just fine. And, from what I see, when you actually swing at the ball, the stroke is pretty decent for your level.

What I actually think is going on for you has something to do with not watching what your opponent is doing with the ball, not seeing it, or not paying attention when you need to be watching him.

When you see where the ball is going and move to it, you seem to do okay. But there are many shots where you look like you either were not expecting the ball to come back at all or you were expecting it to come back differently like, to a different spot or with a different spin. There are also some times when the ball placement forces you to move and you start moving so late that you end up moving very awkwardly.

I think all this has to do with you not fully focusing on seeing what your opponent is doing while he is making his shots.

Also, at the beginning, you look a little tentative on receiving backspin and trying to offensively attack it.

A couple of things you could do that might help these issues improve:

There are drills where a coach will hit a ball to the BH and then the next ball will go to the middle or wide and the coach chooses middle or wide at random. So: BH -> Middle or Wide, BH -> Middle or Wide. Because you don't know if the ball is going to go middle or wide after the BH you have to watch. The sooner you see it, the easier it is to get into position. Drills like this that introduce a random element and make you read what is coming at you, would help your ability to read your opponent and see where the ball is going sooner and more accurately.

I think you would be helped if your coach got you to serve short backspin and pushed for you to loop: serve -> push -> 3rd ball loop against backspin.

You also have to do a better job of serving to all areas of the table. Your opponent knew too often where your serve was going.

As a few people already said, your reverse pendulum serve is pretty nice. Regardless of which serve you are using, you should practice serving short, long, left, right, center....all of the above.

And you also should be thinking about what you would like to get back from your serve. What kind of third ball do you think you are most comfortable using to take control of the point? The serves that get returned in a way that gives you the best opportunity to take control of the points are worth learning. Learning how to serve in a way that sets you up is really useful.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Free Pro-Tip... When filming practice or a match between two right handed players, never, ever, no NOT place camera on the left side (Backhand Corner angle) if you want anyone to watch the vids and see anything. That angle has the player on the camera side blocking most of the action. Place the camera in the wide FH Corner angle and we will be able to a lot more.

Excellent point. Also, don't place the camera behind the barriers in a place where people will stand in the way of the match. If you had the camera just inside the barriers of your table, people would not have gotten in the way of the view the same way.