Rubber Reviews: What makes a good review? I have my opinion but it isn't realistic.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2017
I was considering writing a two rubber reviews on Mech-TeK and Mega Block.
In a perfect world I would like prefer a review like PathfinderPro's review but this takes a lot of work for just one rubber. Even then, how many people would care?

I have seen videos of Dr Neubauer hitting back balls showing spin reversal with anti or LP. These staged reviews don't impress me. They don't show how one can win with the anti or LP. They only show the difficulty the looper has at hitting the ball back because he is playing to the strength of the anti or LP. BTW there is a player AA on the OOAK forum that plays with anti and show real matches. My question is AA a better player than the opponents and AA like to play with anti or does the anti play a significant part in his victories. What does the anti allow AA to do that he can't do with other rubbers.

I have seen Dan's reviews. He can make a rubber look good but I think what is important is what isn't said. He doesn't say why or why not he would use one rubber over another.

I am of the opinion that most regular inverted rubbers are pretty much the same because they can all generate the same force and spin given the correct stroke. Some may be a little faster or spinier than others but not significantly so. There are practical limits folks.

I have seen many reviews where one rubber is a little faster or slower than another but does that make much difference? I doubt it does for most of us as we play pretty close to the table. Other reviews rate the rubber serving, blocking, chopping, driving, etc. The rubber properties don't change depending on how it is being used.

So what it really boils down to is how does the rubber feel and what does one rubber allow you to do that another rubber will not or as well.
What really separates this rubber from that rubber? Is the search for the ultimate rubber upgrade a justification for delaying the player upgrade? :)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
I like when the test rubber is on one side of a standard blade with a familiar reference rubber on the other side. The tester should be able to play all the basic shots with good technique. Then a direct comparison provides a useful rough idea of how the test rubber plays when it's new. That's about all you can expect from a review unless the tester plays the rubber long enough to comment on its durability.

One of my favorite Dan reviews is one with with Paul Drinkhall, especially the part where Paul is directly testing and comparing Aurus Prime to MXP.

says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
I am of the opinion that most regular inverted rubbers are pretty much the same because they can all generate the same force and spin given the correct stroke. Some may be a little faster or spinier than others but not significantly so. There are practical limits folks.
This is getting old. I have no idea why, but you're an engineer here. "same input = different output" is not the same as "different input = same output" There are physical limits, dude. Not in the material, but the human body. That limit dictates how fast and how hard you can swing, even how you swing.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
I have seen Dan's reviews. He can make a rubber look good but I think what is important is what isn't said. He doesn't say why or why not he would use one rubber over another.

As you would, if companies A, B and C gave you their stuff to review - if you´d favour C over the others it might just be A and B won´t give you free stuff anymore. ;)

Generally, what is it that makes any player an expert who needs to "review" a rubber? As much as it is fun (and gives some a good feeling because others "listen") it is irrevelant - the marketing buzz is just as reliable as any review from a few people you don´t know and have never seen play.

I am sure there are some people around here who can be trusted for their experience and capability to review and compare.
On another forum where I am more active it has taken me years to identify whose reviews make any sense (to me), and that comes down to maybe two or three people ...

Reactions: Suga D
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
The argument against using a certain machine to measure a certain input and it's output is there are many variable factors that go into the final result. The largest final variable input is grip pressure at and during the impact. This will be tough to test and measure, also this varies by player.

I have always believed a dynamic test under real play conditions against various incoming balls you would get in match play is really relevant to what the rubber or blade/rubber really perform. Having experience to make references against the other situations and how some other product most know performs is good too.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
Playing style and technique will decide what equipment you should use. Or you could use equipment and work on your technique towards being optimal for that specific equipment. In any case practice is what should be prioritized at all times. Ma Long would beat most of you with a fork.

"What makes a good review? I have my opinion but it isn't realistic."

What makes a review to look good is the personal evaluation of it as a realistic one.
So if you find a review to be good, will you consider your opinion more realistic?

The pihilosophy ground of human thinking is based on comparison, and concluions come out of finding matching patterns.
The more the pattern matchings - the more realistic a thesis will seem to be.
But is it true?
Patterns do change faster than pattern seakers are ready for.
Which is real - a true review, but looking akward, or a false one, looking great?

says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
says I would recommend all wood. Samsonov Alpha sgs is the...
Nov 2017
Read 8 reviews
WTF it's a simple question, here's a simple answer:

Good review:
1) A few short words about the reviewer
2) Technical product information (cost, weight, packaging perhaps, sponge hardness, etc)
3) Graded (1-10?) assessment, along with some elucidation, of its performance in the various tasks it's meant to perform (IE topspin, drive, serve, short game etc) in comparison to other products meant to perform the same functions.
4) Conclusions (buy or not buy? who is it best for? etc)

WTF it's a simple question, here's a simple answer:

Good review:
1) A few short words about the reviewer
2) Technical product information (cost, weight, packaging perhaps, sponge hardness, etc)
3) Graded (1-10?) assessment, along with some elucidation, of its performance in the various tasks it's meant to perform (IE topspin, drive, serve, short game etc) in comparison to other products meant to perform the same functions.
4) Conclusions (buy or not buy? who is it best for? etc)

Yes, good points to build a well-structured review.
I will add which blade has been chosen for the review and why, in the best case - what blade properties may favour the most important specific properties of the rubber, which make it different from the others.