Table tennis magazines

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jul 2014
Read 6 reviews
Japan publish probably mroe than one. The one I saw is pretty nice, it has techinque lessons (serves, banana, loops, footwork etc) with pro players and their comments about those techniques. Also some interviews and other things

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2018
I've noticed that the issues of the former ITTF magazine TABLE TENNIS ILLUSTRATED won't be easy to obtain. Even on ebay! Sadly I don't have any of it. But I do have some ITTF books called TABLE TENNIS FASCINATION with many pictures taken at the most important international tournaments. I also have the excellent ITTF book TABLE TENNIS GIANTS with Waldner on the front cover. It's about legendary table tennis players. I've let it signed by some (former) top players including Li Jiao, Bettine Vriesekoop, Kong Linghui, Zhang Jike+Ryu Seung Min!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
I've noticed that the issues of the former ITTF magazine TABLE TENNIS ILLUSTRATED won't be easy to obtain. Even on ebay! Sadly I don't have any of it. But I do have some ITTF books called TABLE TENNIS FASCINATION with many pictures taken at the most important international tournaments. I also have the excellent ITTF book TABLE TENNIS GIANTS with Waldner on the front cover. It's about legendary table tennis players. I've let it signed by some (former) top players including Li Jiao, Bettine Vriesekoop, Kong Linghui, Zhang Jike+Ryu Seung Min!

I think you mean 'Table Tennis Legends' by Zdenko Uzorinac, indeed a great book. I also have the book it's based on, 'Stolnoteniske Legende', which is in Croatian but contains a lot more photos and quite a few more players from the past. I spent a long time translating the extra ones using Google.
As for the ITTF 'TT Illustrated' I have a complete run of those (it ran from 1996 to 2010). Somebody (not me, please) should scan them all and upload them to the internet. There's a lot of good material in there as well as a great deal of very boring reportage by Ian Marshall, who was, alas, the editor.

Reactions: Simas
This user has no status.
In Japanese,

1) the popular monthly (huge) publication Takkyu Oogoku [World Table Tennis]
They have an online site with the magazine + news + videos + links
http://world-tt.com/

2) Similarly, there is also the monthly magazine sponsored by Butterfly (if I'm correct)
Takkyu Report with their site here
http://www.takurepo.com/

3) Nittaku has also its monthly magazine , paper and online
http://www.nittaku.com/news/

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2018
I think you mean 'Table Tennis Legends' by Zdenko Uzorinac, indeed a great book. I also have the book it's based on, 'Stolnoteniske Legende', which is in Croatian but contains a lot more photos and quite a few more players from the past. I spent a long time translating the extra ones using Google.
As for the ITTF 'TT Illustrated' I have a complete run of those (it ran from 1996 to 2010). Somebody (not me, please) should scan them all and upload them to the internet. There's a lot of good material in there as well as a great deal of very boring reportage by Ian Marshall, who was, alas, the editor.

Thanks for the info. Have you bought all the issues of TABLE TENNIS ILLUSTRATED directly from ITTF? How many issues are there in total? Were they expensive? The book TABLE TENNIS LEGENDS must be out of print I guess? I didn't see it being offered on the website of ITTF anymore recently.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
Thanks for the info. Have you bought all the issues of TABLE TENNIS ILLUSTRATED directly from ITTF? How many issues are there in total? Were they expensive? The book TABLE TENNIS LEGENDS must be out of print I guess? I didn't see it being offered on the website of ITTF anymore recently.

I bought them from ITTF (the only way you could get them) from about 2001 onwards: a couple of years later I found someone who was getting rid of all the back copies I needed. There are 78 issues in total, by the end (Winter 2010) they were costing $6 each, but if you had a subscription there was a discount. The release format kept changing, so sometimes they were every two months, later every 'season' eg Spring, so there was no regular pattern of issue.
In the early days of the internet, before everyone had computers, TTI was the best way for someone like me to find out what was happening in the TT World as there was no media coverage of the sport (at least here in the UK).

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
I have both those books you mention. A good copy of '21 Up' is quite valuable, especially if it's still got the DJ. It's a great read but a shame it cuts off when he still had one more World Championship left to win. As well as 'Sarajevo to Novi Sad', I also own Uzorinac's 'From London 1926 do Sarajevo 1973' (which I also spent ages translating with Google - not a job I'd recommend unless you're a TT HJ (History Junkie) like me :rolleyes: ). Somewhere out there are Uzorinac's books on Stipancic and Croatian TT, but I'll save translating them for my old age.
One good shortlived magazine was the British 'Table Tennis' (well, there's an original title) - subtitled 'The Voice of British TT', which ran alongside TTNews during the late 70s and early 80s - a good read. I've got all of those somewhere.
'Table Tennis News' (ETTA mag) is all online now via the English TT site, thanks to some patient voluntary work. Quite a feat.

This user has no status.
I have both those books you mention. A good copy of '21 Up' is quite valuable, especially if it's still got the DJ. It's a great read but a shame it cuts off when he still had one more World Championship left to win. As well as 'Sarajevo to Novi Sad', I also own Uzorinac's 'From London 1926 do Sarajevo 1973' (which I also spent ages translating with Google - not a job I'd recommend unless you're a TT HJ (History Junkie) like me :rolleyes: ). Somewhere out there are Uzorinac's books on Stipancic and Croatian TT, but I'll save translating them for my old age.
One good shortlived magazine was the British 'Table Tennis' (well, there's an original title) - subtitled 'The Voice of British TT', which ran alongside TTNews during the late 70s and early 80s - a good read. I've got all of those somewhere.
'Table Tennis News' (ETTA mag) is all online now via the English TT site, thanks to some patient voluntary work. Quite a feat.

I too have all of the "Table Tennis" magazine. Being Scottish I have hundreds of the STTA Bulletin edited by Denis B George.I also have a few ITTF and ETTU documents as well as a some weird ones from all over the globe. I have a few programmes from international matches both involving Scotland and England.If you are a collector I would happily pass some on to you.By all means PM me and I could send you the list.
I remember writing to Uzorinac when buying "Sarajevo to Novi Sad" and he spoke about his other book which he said "is also very good".Such modesty or perhaps lost in translation?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2018
I've received the ITTF publication TABLE TENNIS FASCINATION no.8 which was bought on ebay. It was posted from Japan and sadly it wasn't cheap. I've already have the first 3 issues. So I'm missing some issues, but they are not easy to obtain. www.tabletennislibrary.co.uk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2015
I've received the ITTF publication TABLE TENNIS FASCINATION no.8 which was bought on ebay. It was posted from Japan and sadly it wasn't cheap. I've already have the first 3 issues. So I'm missing some issues, but they are not easy to obtain. www.tabletennislibrary.co.uk

Oh, they are brilliant aren't they? Beautiful photos!