Question about LP/SP rubbers and the "reverse" spin effect

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2016
Read 1 reviews
I once played against a fellow who used either short pimples or long pimples. I had played against SP/LP players before, but this was the first time where the "reverse" spin effect was so pronounced. Whenever I would do a heavy push, he would push it back and the ball would have quite a heavy top spin, so much so that the ball would actually bounce quickly forward like he had looped the ball with regular inverted rubber.

I have not since faced another SP/LP player who could perform such a spin "reversal" (I understand that calling it a "reversal" may be a bit of a misnomer). Other SP/LP players would push the ball and it would return to me with no spin or perhaps a bit of top spin.

My question is: is the reason he is capable of doing this due to the rubber he is using? Or, is it due to his technique as an SP/LP player? Or a combination of both? To me, it didn't seem like he was doing anything special with his push stroke. It seemed just like how I would push as a player using inverted rubber. In fact, he seemed to just touch the ball without much physical effort on his part.