myth: too fast equipment hinder development

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
With the plastic boll, ain't speed much more important than spin and further more fast loops ?
So this playstyle would be beneficial to your club's guy

Reactions: BeGo

JST

This user has no status.

JST

This user has no status.
Nov 2017
With the plastic boll, ain't speed much more important than spin and further more fast loops ?

Again this is very much depending on the level. If Freitas, Boll or Ma Long tells you in the interview that plastic ball influenced their play and that PROs need to change material it's different then our amateur level. I've seen decent players in my country (2000-2300USATT equivalent) and they use the same equipment as 5 years ago achieving similar rankings (top 200 nation-wide ranking). I've heard many lower ranking players with long pimples crying that destroying effect is gone from their play but it's hard to say how big is the effect in reality (I'm speaking about 1200-1600USATT equivalent) and it's definitely not what you are discussing (speed over spin in modern game and what material is the best for newcomer/intermediate player). So my personal feeling is that effect of plastic vs. celluloid ball is visible to all of us but it's not so dominant that everyone should change the blade and that kids should start with Mazunov or ALC blades.

Reactions: Beep-Beep
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews

The problem is that posting these questions in terms of faster loops shows that your playing experience is limited. It's the slower defensive shots or table craft shots that are the bigger concern for an advanced player. Use the fastest blade that you can consistently play all shots (including the controlled blocks and short pushes) with if your style is all round offensive. Hitting the fastest balls is what most learners think is required, but what is really required is the ability to play a wide range of offensive strokes.

I have no doubt that learning children can do this with a wide range of equipment. For adults, the soft hand skills required given their limited hours of training are best acquired using something slower unless the adults have good feeling. To put it another way, when you see the amount of touch shots that Ma Long is playing, you can get a good idea of why is equipment is likely not the fastest. Same with Niwa or Gauzy.

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
We should also categorize the off+ blade speed people need to avoid. If those blades are in the speed of sardius, schlager carbon then those should be avoided.
Well, not exactly for everyone. Korean SH OX players crave these blades as they work great for their kind of OX LP game.

To support what NL (and you too) say, Most every OFF PLUS PLUS blade does not make it easy to spin, which is a key skill in a flexible attacking player... aren't we all wanting that?

Well, mostly... some players can do just fine without making heavy spin... like the Korean OX players. All the do for offence is OX punch and fh hit kill.

Still, don't we all just LOVE putting heavy top spin on the ball? :)

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
someone mentioned that even Ma Long doesnt play full thickness but 2.0.
I've always thought that max sponge is the easiest to spin. when even Pro's dont need max, maybe we also should consider to go a lower thickness cuz of weight and blocking.

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Ma Long using 2.0 might be necessary to safely stay under 4mm after boosting.
The max. thickness Big Dipper I had was definitely too thick after boosting with lamp oil.