Hello from Japan

This user has no status.
Hello, everyone.

I've been browsing this site for awhile now (maybe two months), but I never made any posts.

I'm an Australian living in Japan. I've been here for four and a half years now.

I started playing table tennis after arriving in Japan. At first I was just playing for fun with some students after school. I had no idea about form or anything.

But about 4 years ago, one of the coaches at the school introduced me to the local club, and I've been playing at least 3 days a week since. There was even a period where I was playing for 6 days a week.

Nowadays I spend over half my club time teaching and hitting with middle school students and the rest trying to improve. I've got a long way to go myself, but I find coaching quite fulfilling, too.

I'm mostly self-taught with of course the occasional advice from the other players in the club. I'm left-handed so I'm quite forehand dominant. I'm working towards being a two wing looper, but my backhand consistency is still not there yet.

I've been a regular member at MyTableTennis.net so a lot of the members here probably already know me!

I started frequenting TableTennisDaily because it seems a little more active than MTT.

Looking forward to having lots of discussions with you all! And if the opportunity arises, playing some table tennis together!

says Any body knows when will be the next Asia Pacific...
says Any body knows when will be the next Asia Pacific...
Sep 2016
you will find a lot of table tennis experience here . You are lucky can play in Japan, I think China , Japan are one of the best country to learn table tennis

Reactions: mickd
This user has no status.
Oh wow. So you've been here for a super long time! Also being married to a Japanese, your Japanese must be pretty much native now :)

So you'd know all about Kagawa and Shikoku!

If I'm ever in Tokyo, I'll give you a yell if you don't mind. Would love to check out some of the table tennis places there!

Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
says Shoo...nothing to see here. - zeio
Jan 2018
Welcome to the forum. You'll regret it. I did. :p

Reactions: mickd
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Nice to meet you :)

In your spare time, please write some of your thoughts about table tennis culture in Japan :) How popular compared to other sports, is it losing the interest, or vice versa? Is it more popular as a time spending occupation with friends and with a beer, or is everyone going to clubs and practicing hard? How many jpen players? what are the most popular brands, blades, rubbers and so on :)

Dreaming of visiting Japan someday :)

Last edited: