This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Yet got hammered by Pitchford twice 3-0? He had an awful Team World Cup by his already high standards. Today he played incredible table tennis. Nothing to do with the ball. Ma Long has been untouchable. If anything, the results prove it’s actually Harimoto struggling with the ball, not Ma Long?

Not at all. ML could spin the celluloid in every possible direction you can possibly imagine. One needed to have a great physical strength for this. Such game was never a part of Tomo's.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2014
Not at all. ML could spin the celluloid in every possible direction you can possibly imagine. One needed to have a great physical strength for this. Such game was never a part of Tomo's.

But hang on, as has already been pointed out, Ma Long’s dominance has been in the plastic ball era? He is the master with it! How can a ball now be the reason for his loss!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 3 reviews
Well ... Ma was pretty dominant since 2011 a guess ... his first W. Champ was 2015 (was the new plastic there already?) It was always a discussion back then, who is better ZJK (even the titles he has won) or ML. I think it was ZJK's luck 2011 London etc. that it was ML who had to play Wang Hao in the semis ... well but it's all history. Jike deserved his titles like Harimoto deserved his win today.
Don't get me wrong but it's quite symptomatic for me that those very young players like Hirano, Ito, Harimoto (there are some others not from JP) started getting those results specially after the introduction of poly.

Wang hao was a prey for a better player , who could win him , could have beautiful titles , not pro tours . So nvr call it luck which is ridiculous . The better player didnt lose to wang hao . Its the case . Also these two faced in 2014 and the winner was jike . So I can say whatever I sais was a paranthesis to your comment . The end
To your explanations .

Reactions: Gladxu and talbon
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2017
Seemed to me Ma Long spent the first three games trying to prove he could beat Harimoto at his own game. Very stubborn, didn't want to let Harimoto push him back. The match swung in his favor when he finally did take a step back from the table, but too many loose shots in the final game ended the come back. That's the best and most forcefully I've seen Harimoto play. He clearly had the edge in speed close to the table, in the return game, and most surprisingly in the short game where Ma Long wasn't up to his usual standards.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2015
People on the internet must be studied. A week ago when ma long crush fan zhendong he wasn't a dad who not care about TT anymore or not so adapt to ABS ball.

Come on upsets happens, the kid played superb. Now we have to wait and watch the next encounters between this two.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
Ma long vs Harimoto

The victory is good for both Ma long and Tomo! For Tomo it’s a motivation that everything is possible and the future could be his!
For Ma long it’s a wake up call to up his game and work on some tactics here and there! It’s good the defeat came at a pro tour event! Such defeats are what make Legends Immortal!
Remember Ma long came back stronger after losing the World Cup in 2014! We should accept defeat!

Congrats to both anyways

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
But hang on, as has already been pointed out, Ma Long’s dominance has been in the plastic ball era? He is the master with it! How can a ball now be the reason for his loss!?

Please read what I wrote: "But imho using good old celluloid balls the power of ML's fh would be a grater obstacle for young players like Harimoto ..." - a "greater obstacle", I didn't say it was a definite reason for the loss. Would it be harder for Tomokazu to beat ML with cell ... imho I think yes - mainly because of the importance of spin.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Wang hao was a prey for a better player , who could win him , could have beautiful titles , not pro tours . So nvr call it luck which is ridiculous . The better player didnt lose to wang hao . Its the case . Also these two faced in 2014 and the winner was jike . So I can say whatever I sais was a paranthesis to your comment . The end
To your explanations .

Just check their head to head ...

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2016
I agree, although it stings atm :) You learn more from a loss than a win.

ML looked slightly nonchalant today, I think CNT will go to overtime to study TH and how to beat him.

The victory is good for both Ma long and Tomo! For Tomo it’s a motivation that everything is possible and the future could be his!
For Ma long it’s a wake up call to up his game and work on some tactics here and there! It’s good the defeat came at a pro tour event! Such defeats are what make Legends Immortal!
Remember Ma long came back stronger after losing the World Cup in 2014! We should accept defeat!

Congrats to both anyways

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2014
Please read what I wrote: "But imho using good old celluloid balls the power of ML's fh would be a grater obstacle for young players like Harimoto ..." - a "greater obstacle", I didn't say it was a definite reason.

Well then the argument is pointless!? If we are going to say Ma Long’s forehand would be better if it was more powerful like with the old ball, we might as well say Timo’s serves would be better if he could hide the ball like he used to when it was allowed, or that Joo Sae Hyuk’s game would be more of an “obstacle” if he could go back to playing in the days when you could play with two of the same colour rubber?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 3 reviews

Congrats to both anyways

I m sure ma long will work and train more to find why he lost . I guess it will be the last time ma long lost to harimoto

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
Well then the argument is pointless!? If we are going to say Ma Long’s forehand would be better if it was more powerful like with the old ball, we might as well say Timo’s serves would be better if he could hide the ball like he used to when it was allowed, or that Joo Sae Hyuk’s game would be more of an “obstacle” if he could go back to playing in the days when you could play with two of the same colour rubber?

Sure, but we just concentrated on the cell and ploy issue which is common for both players right?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2014
Sure, but we just concentrated on the cell and ploy issue which is common for both players right?

I still don’t buy it. Harimoto would have put thousands of hours of practice in with the celluloid ball as he was growing up. It is these hours that have formed the foundations of his game? I just don’t buy that the ball had any sort of impact. None whatsoever.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
The ABS ball came to the world tour last year, there’s a big difference between ABS and CA and yes, I think it is one of the reasons why the Chinese seem to perform worse. LGL‘s departure is another factor for example.

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
I say Harimoto should retire. He is doing worse and worse these days. :)

Maybe Ma Long looked at the draw and decided it was more advantageous to lose! :)

Good thing Chinese Government took care of all the problems LGL was causing for the entire world of TT. :)

Say, is that the goon squad over there? Gotta Go!

Last edited: