This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2012
Read 1 reviews
I just came here to see if the ma long bandwagon has started rolling! Congrats to harimoto, some "analysts" here should stop talking about the big flaws in his play and how he has no chance against the chinese. 3 big scalps taken in the same year.

Im not extremely excited though cause it is still a pro tour but damn , what a performance

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
Hmmm. Harimoto got smacked and made to cry by Pitch, who thrashed him 3-0 twice in the space of about a month. Malong is getting old, he is a dad, and TT is no longer his priority imho.

Well, in the life of a 14 year old whose range includes beating Ma Long and say losing to Jeong Sangeun , 2 months is a very long time ago. Pitchford may just be a bad matchup that fades away as the kid grows older. Even now compared to say the Asian Cup where he lost to Jeong Sangeun, his forehand is much better at least for killing and countering close to the table.

Ma Long has beaten everyone else he has played this year. Sorry, but I can't buy your statement. No one was getting 5 points consistently off him in this tournament before this match. So if anything, fatherhood didn't make him skip a beat. This is a genuine win in the land of Japan. If they played tomorrow, my money would be on Ma Long. But I can't take the fact that Ma Long could not deal with Harimoto's speed away from Harimoto.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2014
Read 3 reviews
Tomorrows games , Final day

Screenshot_20180609-161730.jpg

Screenshot_20180609-161808.jpg

Screenshot_20180609-162129.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Takkyu_wa_inochi
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2014
Don't want to take away anything from Tomokazu - great kid, even greater victory - truly amazing and unprecedented! But imho using good old celluloid balls the power of ML's fh would be a grater obstacle for young players like Harimoto ...

What a ridiculous comment.

I am totally done with people on this forum who say “if they used this ball....” etc. Fact is, things change. Get over it. They were both using the same ball, Harimoto played better. That’s elite level sport. Stop devaluing our sport and our best adverts for our sport by harking back to the times they used a different ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Oct 2014
Read 17 reviews
You can see the declining FH power of ML, XX and FZD quite clearly with the new ABS ball. Harimoto, Boll and other top Jap players don't seem to be affected much.

From a physics POV it makes sense based on the type of rubber they use.

Passionate about TT
I understand this but I don't fully buy it. The key thing as pointed out by Zhang Jike is that the spin effect of the older balls is gone and you don't win shots off single shots as much and are forced to rally more. This puts the players who have a memory of what a quality shot used to be at a disadvantage as shots that used to win points instinctively are now coming back.

Also some players are getting better at taking the ball earlier per the women's game. Also short pushes are not as secure as they used to be because the spin effect of the short game is not as secure.

But after even saying all this, it comes down to what you built your style to win on not the equipment. Many players switched to Chinese rubber to deal with the plastic ball even the ABS one. A good question is what brand of ball is being used on the Japan Open. I assumed it is the DHS one. But all on all, I think the need to accept that spin is not as effective as it used to be with cellulose and cellulose acetate is what explains some of what you are seeing. But Timo has adjusted magnificently so no one has any excuse. We can see Zhang Jike painfully doing the same. We can also see how players like Lin Gaoyuan and Harimoto are benefitting. So I don't think it is so much equipment as accepting that you have to make certain adjustments to your style.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
What a ridiculous comment.
I am totally done with people on this forum who say “if they used this ball....” etc. Fact is, things change. Get over it. They were both using the same ball, Harimoto played better. That’s elite level sport. Stop devaluing our sport and our best adverts for our sport by harking back to the times they used a different ball.

Tabletennisuk ... surely Harimot's win is something great, I want to analyse what happened in all its aspects. Players are still adopting to the new balls and my remark is
legitimate since ML is generally the 40mm cell balls era master, greatest possibly. New balls emphasize different aspects of the game, making it easier for players with less stroke power to play.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2014
Tabletennisuk ... Surely Harimot's win is something great, I want to analyse what happened in all its aspects. Players are still adopting to the new balls and my remark is legitimate since ML is generally the 40mm cell balls era master, greatest possibly. New balls emphasize different aspects of the game, making it easier for players with less stroke power to play.

Sorry, I totally disagree.

If you think that Ma Long, the greatest player of his generation, Olympic Champion, a World Champion and serial winner on the Pro Tour is still getting used to a change of ball, then you must be a joker! The guy has put in thousands and thousands of hours of practice even since the new ball came in... and been successful at the highest possible level.

says TTD Team vs Pongfinity OUT NOW on our YT Channel
says TTD Team vs Pongfinity OUT NOW on our YT Channel
Administrator
Oct 2010
Relive today's sensational highlights between Ma Long and wonderkid Harimoto!

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews

Tabletennisuk ... surely Harimot's win is something great, I want to analyse what happened in all its aspects. Players are still adopting to the new balls and my remark is
legitimate since ML is generally the 40mm cell balls era master, greatest possibly. New balls emphasize different aspects of the game, making it easier for players with less stroke power to play.

How is Ma Long the 40mm master when every single big title he has won, came after the 40mm era?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
How is Ma Long the 40mm master when every single big title he has won, came after the 40mm era?

Well ... Ma was pretty dominant since 2011 a guess ... his first W. Champ was 2015 (was the new plastic there already?) It was always a discussion back then, who is better ZJK (even the titles he has won) or ML. I think it was ZJK's luck 2011 London etc. that it was ML who had to play Wang Hao in the semis ... well but it's all history. Jike deserved his titles like Harimoto deserved his win today.
Don't get me wrong but it's quite symptomatic for me that those very young players like Hirano, Ito, Harimoto (there are some others not from JP) started getting those results specially after the introduction of poly.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
May 2014
Well ... Ma was pretty dominant since 2011 a guess ... his first W. Champ was 2015 (was the new plastic there already?) It was always a discussion back then, who is better ZJK (even the titles he has won) or ML. I think it was ZJK's luck 2011 London etc. that it was ML who had to play Wang Hao in the semis ... well but it's all history. Jike deserved his titles like Harimoto deserved his win today.
Don't get me wrong but it's quite symptomatic for me that those very young players like Hirano, Ito, Harimoto (there are some others not from JP) started getting those results specially after the introduction of poly.

Yet got hammered by Pitchford twice 3-0? He had an awful Team World Cup by his already high standards. Today he played incredible table tennis. Nothing to do with the ball. Ma Long has been untouchable. If anything, the results prove it’s actually Harimoto struggling with the ball, not Ma Long?