Does Paraffin Oil contains VOCs?

says https://www.facebook.com/eduardo.eduard.33/videos/vb.1000...
Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
Hi all,

I've heard that some people use paraffin oil to boost their rubbers. But as I see paraffin oil is inflamable. So doesn't paraffin oil contains VOCs?

Please don't write answers like "you shouldn't boost with oils", because for now it's only for recreational use, and to check the effect, I just wanna make a homemade booster that could be a cheaper option in a situation that I can't afford booster.

Thanks in advance! [emoji2][emoji2]

Best regards,
Eduardo Bagarrão

Enviado do meu ALE-L21 através do Tapatalk

says Spin and more spin.
says Spin and more spin.
Super Moderator
Dec 2010
Read 11 reviews
Paraffin oil, lamp oil, kerosene....yes. They work decently for boosting and do have VOCs. I would not worry about that. You could could add a certain amount of paraffin oil and a certain amount of baby oil (mineral oil) to the sponge. You don't have to mix them with each other. You can just add some of one and spread it on the sponge and then some of the other and spread it onto the sponge.

Because paraffin evaporates faster, it is better for boosting: the gas inside the bubbles of the sponge is part of what makes the sponge perform better. Because baby oil takes much longer to evaporate, the baby oil lasts longer as a booster but does not do as much.

And because of the same info, if you use too much baby oil, it makes the sponge feel mushy and not springy. That is because you don't really want too much of the liquid in the bubbles. You really want the gas that evaporates from the oil.

So, again: yes, paraffin is a VOC oil. But it works decently well for boosting. And if you are not going to enter an ITTF World Tour event, it should be fine. :)

Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
Paraffin oil, lamp oil, kerosene....yes. They work decently for boosting and do have VOCs. I would not worry about that. You could could add a certain amount of paraffin oil and a certain amount of baby oil (mineral oil) to the sponge. You don't have to mix them with each other. You can just add some of one and spread it on the sponge and then some of the other and spread it onto the sponge.

Because paraffin evaporates faster, it is better for boosting: the gas inside the bubbles of the sponge is part of what makes the sponge perform better. Because baby oil takes much longer to evaporate, the baby oil lasts longer as a booster but does not do as much.

And because of the same info, if you use too much baby oil, it makes the sponge feel mushy and not springy. That is because you don't really want too much of the liquid in the bubbles. You really want the gas that evaporates from the oil.

So, again: yes, paraffin is a VOC oil. But it works decently well for boosting. And if you are not going to enter an ITTF World Tour event, it should be fine. :)

Well, I prefer not use then, I like to play "under the rules", at least I don't want that my racket VOC values pass the 4ppm limit :p We only have VOC control on playoffs to go to another division in national league. I've just bought sunflower oil and baby oil and I'll test when my rubbers get old!!

I know that feel, that happened to me when I boosted Tenergy 05 with falco with a glue layer before, it got too mushy. Tenergy 05 feels wonderful with booster, but at least for me it don't work if you glue before boost, it kinda lost the power gear.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 3 reviews
I've just bought sunflower oil and baby oil and I'll test when my rubbers get old!

I think for most the experimental phase is already over.
It can be a tedious process to find out how much of which substance to apply to which rubber so the result is pleasant.
Many players have gone back to just sticking the rubber of their choice on the blade, and the modern rubbers are good enough to justify that.
Those who boost use proper booster.

Lamp oil and baby oil were all the rage a couple of years ago. Professionals would still rather boost a classic rubber than play early tensors, Speedy Spin and Coppa come to mind, even if I won´t mention any names ;)
tenergy changed much of that ...

I for sure have under- and overboosted a few rubbers in that phase, going from zero effect to total mushiness. It seemed like fun doing it, but it quickly became a bore.

This is not to say that if you find "your" recipe of substance, quantity and time you won´t arrive at good results.

Good luck, and have fun

Apr 2015
Read 2 reviews
I think for most the experimental phase is already over.
It can be a tedious process to find out how much of which substance to apply to which rubber so the result is pleasant.
Many players have gone back to just sticking the rubber of their choice on the blade, and the modern rubbers are good enough to justify that.
Those who boost use proper booster.

Lamp oil and baby oil were all the rage a couple of years ago. Professionals would still rather boost a classic rubber than play early tensors, Speedy Spin and Coppa come to mind, even if I won´t mention any names ;)
tenergy changed much of that ...

I for sure have under- and overboosted a few rubbers in that phase, going from zero effect to total mushiness. It seemed like fun doing it, but it quickly became a bore.

This is not to say that if you find "your" recipe of substance, quantity and time you won´t arrive at good results.

Good luck, and have fun
I agree with you, and I use proper booster to boost my rubbers. But for example, when I'm outseason and I have no sistematic training maybe I don't need to waste proper booster to do some training sessions, besides at the end of the season my rubbers are dead/ almost dead. Instead of buy new ones or spend booster to tune them, I could use baby oil, because the rubbers will go to the trash before season start!!

Enviado do meu ALE-L21 através do Tapatalk