Progression from Vega Pro

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
Hi all,

My current set up is a Primorac blade with Vega Pro on my FH and El-S on my BH. Over the last two years I’ve gradually increased the speed of my rubbers and blades . I’ve played with this set up for six months now and myself and my coach have agreed that my game is at a level where I could handle a faster set up. I would appreciate any recommendations for a similar rubber to the Vega Pro in regards to throw and hardness but something a bit faster.
I’ve had a look at the MX-P ( which I can get a discount on through my club ) but was worried this might be too big a step up. After this next rubber change I will be looking to change blade but that’s another thread altogether !

Any advice would be appreciated .

Mark

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
Hi,
I would change the blade too before rubber
In my club so many players want speed speed by material but you should never forget control is important. The movement decide how much power you have in your stroke not material

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2016
I'm assuming that you're already playing with max sponge thickness?

I personally think that replacing Vega Pro rubbers with something else is always difficult, when you're used to it's characteristics. As "faster" rubbers are often softer and have more catapult.

Given that you're using a Primorac you could always stay with both your rubbers and simply test a Butterfly Korbel, which has the exact same wood composition, but it has thicker layers and thereby plays faster.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jan 2017
Read 2 reviews
There is not that much faster equipment on the market regarding rubbers compared to faster blades.
a step up from Vega Pro would be Tenergy 05, it has really similar characteristics but it’s just faster, spinnier etc. other rubbers like MXP also differ a lot in throw etc.

i would also recommend changing your blade. A Korbel is indeed a bit faster but maybe that is not enough. Maybe a 5+2 ALC blade would be the next step up, it always depends on your technique and skill level.

Reactions: Andy44
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2014
Read 7 reviews
The closest rubber to the Vega pro that I have tried is the Fastarc G1. But it isn't any faster (I'm using it now). I've always played with high throw, low catapult rubbers like the Vega pro. I have learned to be careful with "faster"rubbers. I personally have less control with rubbers with more catapult, and there are very few rubbers that guide the ball as well as the VP in the tangential direction.

There are many rubbers out there that are theoretically faster but if you have gotten used to brushing the ball, then they will actually be slower. They are only faster when you hit the ball a bit more flatly.

The only rubbers that I know of that are similar to the Vega pro and give you at least as much speed when you brush the ball is Tenergy 05 and MX-P. Maybe MX-S but I haven't tried the rubber myself.

Reactions: fais and yoass
The only rubbers that I know of that are similar to the Vega pro and give you at least as much speed when you brush the ball is Tenergy 05 and MX-P. Maybe MX-S but I haven't tried the rubber myself.

Vega Pro is not amongst the best rubbers for brushing speed. Vega Asia DF is faster with brushing speed. T05 is faster than VA DF, and Omega V Pro and Asia are faster than T05 with brushing speed. And Omega V Tour is the ultimate for brushing speed, but its a very different and special rubber, difficult to control and to get use of its properties.

I would recomend Omega V Pro, but as the Omega family is very different from the Vega, Omega V Asia should be considered too.

Omega v tour has a harder sponge i think.

It feels softer than Asia and is very different, the rubber looks like multilayer and more porous inside, and is easy to damage the top ply. Plays like a softer rubber with weaker touch, but like a hard rubber with stronger hits. Thats why slower spin is more mechanical, but faster brush gives ultimate speed /and spin, of course/. But is not an easy rubber.

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
tbh if u did find your rubber of choice, better change the blade before dishing out a lot of money for EJ. also u will always think about the great working of VP and mentally turn down other rubbers. VP seems to be real high ranked by most reviewers. i kinda get the feeling it is traded as n1 substitute for T05.
logical upgrade to primorac is korbel, as mentioned before.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
Hi all,

Sorry for the late reply.

Thanks for your recommendations and advice. After some thought I have decided to change the blade instead as it makes sense as I’m mainly happy with the characteristics of the VP.
I think I will try a blade with carbon instead of all wood as I’ve yet to do this after having all wood blades previously.
I can always go back to wood if need be.

That of course has opened up another can of worms ...
I’ve noted the previous carbon blade recommendations, thanks. After research it seems the Viscaria is highly recommended by many . Any other recommendations particularly blades that would work well with VP and also coming from wood. ?. I understand a lot of this is personal choice but I would be interested to hear your thoughts .

Thanks,
Mark

Last edited: