Progression from Vega Pro

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
is there a big difference between YEO and Primorac? is there big difference between the both outer layer Limba vs Koto?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2018
sure i know but is there a big influence on playstyle due to this?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
Hi all,

Thanks again for the recommendations.
I went for a Vega Pro blade in the end which I’ve just ordered ..

Many thanks,
Mark

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
OP Starsky…

Yeah, wouldn't hurt to slap the same rubbers on a new blade (which you were advised and did already).

Xiom Vega Pro is a REAL GOOD DYNAMIC modern control rubber if you have the right stroke it gives tons of spin and control with decent penetration, but not overwhelming.

You have to ask yourself, as a few other TTD Members have asked you to consider, WHAT do you value and WHAT do you want your rubber to make it easier for you to do. In many cases of an flexible Offensive Attacking player, your top priorities are spin, placement and consistency. The class of rubber that facilitates this are modern control rubbers. You have one, and one of the best.

If you want to stick with Xiom, try out Sigma Pro later if you want to go up in speed and penetration while keeping your top end spin on well struck balls. maybe this is the direction you and coach want to go... in any case, the ease of consistency to make a quality first and second ball with Vega Pro and rubbers of this class is very valuable.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
Hi Der Echte,

Thanks for your reply .

I do like the Vega Pro rubber on my FH,in fact I tried out the EL-S on the FH and went back to the VP as I prefer the harder feel and higher arc . I like to open up on backspin especially from a third ball and the rubber does this well. I do feel at times though that my FH is missing a bit of ‘zip’.This of course could be my inner EJ talking to me. ..
I think changing blade but keeping the same rubbers is a good call. If I find that my consistency drops after practicing a while with the new set up I will change back.

says Looking for the BH killer shot
says Looking for the BH killer shot
Sep 2015
Read 8 reviews
I'll throw in the new Vega Tour rubber. It has a bit more speed than VP and allthough the sponge is nominal a bit softer than VP, you won't notice in play. The VT is in many aspects the upgraded version of the VP.

When considering a new blade, certainly the foremention Vega Tour Blade is a perfect match for the VP, but also the newer XIOM Feel ZX3 is a good choice. You need to be carefull, because the step from a Primorac is a huge one for both of these blades. They will handle differently (Primorac is not as stiff and therefore prefers a different way to strike the ball).

Reactions: langel
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
Hi Vossi39,

Thanks for the reply and recommendations .
I’ll try my existing rubbers on the new Vega Pro blade when it arrives. I will see how the rubbers work and go from there . It seems the VP blade offers more control than other carbon blades so I choose this one as my first foray away from all wood.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
Hi all,
I though I would give you an update on my blade as I have had a chance to become accustomed to it.
After practicing with the Vega Pro for a few months and then my first foray into competitive TT this season I have decided to go back to an all wood blade. This decision was due to my losing some consistency with the Vega Pro as it seems I wasn’t ready for the step up in speed . A common mistake I believe at my level.
Previously I had used the Primorac all wood before my move into a composite blade with the Vega Pro. Being a a bit of an EJ I decided to try a new all wood blade and decided on the OSP Virtuso OFF- based on the reviews on here and else where . I’ve had a few practice sessions now and it’s a beautiful blade with much more feeling than my old Primorac. I’ve kept the same rubbers as before with the Vega Pro on the FH and EL-S on the BH and they seem to suit this blade very well.

I think this set up will be with me for quite a while now .

Cheers.

Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Vega Pro is a medium to medium soft early version of dynamic modern off control rubber.

If one wants to stay with this sponge range and similar dynamic feel, try Hexer Grip.

There are hundreds of other more powerful ones to step up to, all makes have a sponge near this range.

You cannot catch all the Pokemon in tt... try as many as you can while you can for free when you see someone with something else.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Beep-Beep
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Aug 2018
Hi all,
I though I would give you an update on my blade as I have had a chance to become accustomed to it.
After practicing with the Vega Pro for a few months and then my first foray into competitive TT this season I have decided to go back to an all wood blade. This decision was due to my losing some consistency with the Vega Pro as it seems I wasn’t ready for the step up in speed . A common mistake I believe at my level.
Previously I had used the Primorac all wood before my move into a composite blade with the Vega Pro. Being a a bit of an EJ I decided to try a new all wood blade and decided on the OSP Virtuso OFF- based on the reviews on here and else where . I’ve had a few practice sessions now and it’s a beautiful blade with much more feeling than my old Primorac. I’ve kept the same rubbers as before with the Vega Pro on the FH and EL-S on the BH and they seem to suit this blade very well.

I think this set up will be with me for quite a while now .

Cheers.

VP plays like ass on limba outer ply.
The optimal way to play VP is with stiff, medium hard blade with koto outer, closed bat angle, brush the ball in the front of the body and use underarm and wrist acceleration.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
Thanks for the input guys.

I like the high throw of the VP and also like it on the OSP.
I wouldn’t change the blade to suit the rubber more the other way round.
At some point in the future I would look to change the VP to a more modern rubber with a similar throw.

I will try out a few in the club in the future but unless someone has the same blade it’s difficult to get a like for like comparison .

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Apr 2017
Thanks Der Echte,

When the time comes for a change on the FH I’ll post a question on here for a rubber to go with the OSP or similar type limba outer blade.

There is no One single truth in TT, it all depends on personal style and preferences.
I've tryed Vega Pro rubbers on blades with different hardness and flex and for me it plays best with a bit stiffer than middle-flexy blade with hinoki outer. I don't like it on hard&stiff and on hard&flexy blades, but some styles may prefer that.