Japan Open 2018 - a beginning of the new trend?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2017
It supposed to be an answer to the post, where someone wrote that Lin Yun Ju plays like Harimoto....just my tablet browser didn't quoted the original post.

Ok so I watched Lin Yun Ju. He is still 15, isn't he? Just a year older than Harimoto. I remember an interview with Jan Ove Waldner, in which he was complaining that nowadays "everybody plays the same", that in his era Gatien was playing different, Jorgen, Jorg Roskopf etc. It was a few years ago. But this was Jan with his "eagle eye" oversight of the game. Also .. I guess to say that someone plays similarly depends on how close you'll analyse his/her technique, tactics etc.

EmRatThich describes the new style in the following manner, he says if you want to adopt a new style, then:
- hit sooner
- stay closer to the table
- focus on speed
- aggressive attacks on all of opponents serves
- borrow opponent speed (power)
- hit on the bounce, on the table
- counter attack every ball

@source:
https://youtu.be/lGxAvayVVkI?t=538

LYJ in my opinion definitely adopted the new style, I watched his match against Jon Persson. Although he pushed a lot while receiving the serve, he was definitely looking for a banana flip. It was even funny to see him keeping the racket on the table before the opponent's serve, something you usually see during doubles matches.
There was this characteristic bh shot of the bounce (I must say resembling Harimoto's) often going down the line, specially effective since he is a left handed player. This type of bh is not focused on the spin, but rather on the direct counter, a little like a punch movement aimed more at speed.
Great touch play just like Hari, but generally I think he feels more comfortable a bit further away from the table.

Funny, but despite EmRatThich's assumption that one needs to be more athletic to play this style, the 14 and 15 years old are doing pretty well. I would say it is the opposite, that with the cell ball one needed to have more strength to spin it ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Cktenders
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Mar 2015
Read 3 reviews
Ok so I watched Lin Yun Ju. He is still 15, isn't he? Just a year older than Harimoto. I remember an interview with Jan Ove Waldner, in which he was complaining that nowadays "everybody plays the same", that in his era Gatien was playing different, Jorgen, Jorg Roskopf etc. It was a few years ago. But this was Jan with his "eagle eye" oversight of the game. Also .. I guess to say that someone plays similarly depends on how close you'll analyse his/her technique, tactics etc.

EmRatThich describes the new style in the following manner, he says if you want to adopt a new style, then:
- hit sooner
- stay closer to the table
- focus on speed
- aggressive attacks on all of opponents serves
- borrow opponent speed (power)
- hit on the bounce, on the table
- counter attack every ball

@source:
https://youtu.be/lGxAvayVVkI?t=538

LYJ in my opinion definitely adopted the new style, I watched his match against Jon Persson. Although he pushed a lot while receiving the serve, he was definitely looking for a banana flip. It was even funny to see him keeping the racket on the table before the opponent's serve, something you usually see during doubles matches.
There was this characteristic bh shot of the bounce (I must say resembling Harimoto's) often going down the line, specially effective since he is a left handed player. This type of bh is not focused on the spin, but rather on the direct counter, a little like a punch movement aimed more at speed.
Great touch play just like Hari, but generally I think he feels more comfortable a bit further away from the table.

Funny, but despite EmRatThich's assumption that one needs to be more athletic to play this style, the 14 and 15 years old are doing pretty well. I would say it is the opposite, that with the cell ball one needed to have more strength to spin it ...

I see your point. They play similar, but the differences are there. HT is more active and tries to finish the point earlier. He does much more fast attacks off the bounce on the BH side and uses this more effectively. LYJ likes to step around and attacks continously with his FH more. Also, his technique is more spin oriented. Unfortunately, I don't have the patience to try to analyze their matches, but I think they play in a different rhythm. For me that gives a different feel. I think I draw the borders between different playstyles even on small differences, that's all. Just when I read that they play the same a red light bulb turned on in my mind.