Returning to the sport – bit of advice would be great

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
Hi there,

Well first up what a great forum. Really interesting insights and comments seem really helpful - great work on a fun community!

I'm returning to the sport after what is probably 10years+ away from playing and have just got back from my second practice session in a couple of days and have got the bug back it seems. Ive moved to a new city and am trying out a few clubs to see if I can get back into playing in leagues again. And at 34 i think ive got a few more seasons in me :)

Im pleasantly surprised as to where i'm at, I thought I would be terrible and although footwork and positioning is a bit all over the place my backhand topspin seemed solid and forehand loop was ok - though was probably rushing a little and taking the ball a bit early. Pushing and chopping needs work but I'm sure that will come with a bit more practice when my touch and feel returns.

I'm playing with my old bats - so the rubbers are pretty old, most of the grip has gone on the BH and FH isn't great. The problem is they don't make my FH rubber anymore TIBHAR Rapid D.Tec - I used to love that, so wondered if anyone have any recommendations for me - FH and BH.

Secondly I need some new shoes and I've never really got on with Proper TT shoes as I prefer something with a slightly thicker sole and more support (had ankle and foot problems in the past.) i have saw this website - and they seem to have reasonable prices for indoor courts shoes - wondered if anyone had used them? sportsshoes . com

Thanks
James

says 2023 Certified Organ Donor
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
Every company makes your class of rubber - Modern control rubber, some have several rubbers in that class, way too many to list.

Tibhar still makes Aurus, you will love it... and you can often find it on sale.

I am biased about Nexy shoes, I wear them at every session, no better shoe for the money, but I gotta say, THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY has upped their game in the shoe department. Just about everyone now makes a great looking and great performing shoe at a medium high or reasonable price.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
Rubbers I agree with Der_Echte above .... there are plenty of options ...
Shoes if you are looking at strong support -- I would go for Asics ... if you can't get asics you can go for Mizuno Wave Medal series .. there are more than one store in Europe which would have good stuff for a discount ... e.g. tabletennis 11 for rubbers and contra.de

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
Thanks guys!
I like the look of the Aurus from the reviews. Is there much difference with the prime? Was also looking at the Evolution EL-S maybe for the forehand, or Rastanter R47/R42. Or make sense to keep it simple and get Aurus FH and BH for now?

Looking at shoes might go for some Asics as I like the look a bit better.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Similarly here I returned to the sport after ~14 years leave. Really fell in love with the grippy, new rubbers (found it funny some of the good ol' rubbers like Sriver and Tackiness D, with which I started are still around).... That spin you can put on, it's really a blast. (Have to say though that as a kid I never speed glued.)

Maybe someone in a club would give you a racket to try out the stuff?

Anyway, wish you a lot of fun rediscovering the game!

Thanks guys!
I like the look of the Aurus from the reviews. Is there much difference with the prime? Was also looking at the Evolution EL-S maybe for the forehand, or Rastanter R47/R42. Or make sense to keep it simple and get Aurus FH and BH for now?

Looking at shoes might go for some Asics as I like the look a bit better.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
Secondly I need some new shoes and I've never really got on with Proper TT shoes as I prefer something with a slightly thicker sole and more support (had ankle and foot problems in the past.) i have saw this website - and they seem to have reasonable prices for indoor courts shoes - wondered if anyone had used them? sportsshoes . com

shortsshoes.com are very good. I buy a lot athletics and running equipment from them and have doing so for the last 4-5 years. Fairly fast deliviers and extremely good prices.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
Great thank you Mart1n - there website looked good so good to hear you have had good service with them.

Thanks phorkyas – Im going to a different club tonight - so hopefully I can have a knock with someones bat to try some rubbers. Im really loving playing again - which is the main thing. How long have you been playing since your break- do you practice often?

Reactions: Suga D
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
After I started again two years back the initial enthusiasm sometimes gave way for frustration as training did not show any results, most adults did no exercises, only matches in training. Now I moved and a really motivated training partner fueled ambition a bit, and I could progress a bit.
With a kid I only manage to train twice a week though and I'm still in the second lowest division here in Germany... But, well ratings and stats should anyway not take out the fun of the game.;)

Im really loving playing again - which is the main thing. How long have you been playing since your break- do you practice often?

PS. How did it go? Found some rubber you liked?

Last edited:
Reactions: JST and Suga D
Sep 2011
Read 27 reviews
OP, I never used the Aurus prime... very likely a juicier version of the original and costlier...

Tibhar FX-P plays like a control version of a juicier Aurus and you should be able to find it cheaper than Aurus Prime too.

Don't sweat the rubber too much, everyone makes a good control rubber and they are usually less costly than the top rubbers.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2016
I played for about a year in 1964/5, and then started again in 2016. You can do the maths. (The good news is that you never really forget. I have already worked my way into a higher division with my team, which I captain. The bad news is that most of the people I play didn't stop for more than 50 years, and have developed a bundle of strategies for winning.)

I find Asics Gel Rockets to be good shoes; now on my second pair, the only difference is colour and the fact that these are 8s not 7s. In fact the 7s are still fine, but I needed something to match my team strip, and the new ones do have better (newer) insoles for protecting my old knees. As for rubbers, for something old school, MK V Yasaka works well on some blades, and Xiom Musa is pretty good all round.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
The bad news is that most of the people I play didn't stop for more than 50 years, and have developed a bundle of strategies for winning.

Yeah, had some of those encounters: the long pimple pensioners or those having washed out rubbers that seem older than me (35). Barely moving, but crushing you with wit, experience. Seemed to be getting better though, only had one such loss this season, I think.

Im going to a different club tonight - so hopefully I can have a knock with someones bat to try some rubbers. Im really loving playing again - which is the main thing.

How did it go? Tried some tensors or similar?

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
How did it go? Tried some tensors or similar?

Was good - higher level of players there, some really good ones. I held my own with the people I practiced with and they were all impressed, I think, with how I played despite not playing for so long. They were asking if I wanted to join one of there teams so thats a positive.

I didn't really ask to try anyones bat (was a new club and didn't feel right to ask straight up on my first visit) but pretty much everyone said my rubbers were shot! lol. An older chap gave me a go with one of his spare bats (he played penhold so not ideal) with Palio Amigo on. Was better than mine but didn't feel anything special.

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Nov 2017
Was good - higher level of players there, some really good ones. I held my own with the people I practiced with and they were all impressed, I think, with how I played despite not playing for so long. They were asking if I wanted to join one of there teams so thats a positive.

That's great. If I remember correctly, topspins and all also still felt kind of natural, after that long pause. My rubbers were gone, too, but blade was still great good (sadly lost it recently, some old Andrzej Grubba All+, Butterfly). Seemed like swimming or bike riding. Maybe a bit rusty at first, but all the muscle memory is still there.

(As you know from this forum: gear is totally overemphasized:p - I am afraid of doing so right now, too, trying a new faster racket and at the same time the club switched to the poly ball - finally. So don't do that, just enjoy the game, maybe join the league?)

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Jun 2018
So bit of an update - after playing over the weekend.

I bought a pair of Mizuno wave medals that I got for good price. Nice and light and supportive - so perfect thanks guys.

For the rubbers, being as I haven't had chance to try much I didn't really want to pay £30/40 a side and possibly get something I didn't like. So I cleaned up my old Butterfly Primorac OFF- (
It's an old model with a metal Butterfly logo tag) and added some Chinese rubbers. 729/Friendship II battle on my FH and Yinhe Moon Max on my BH.
I love it. Only had a couple of hours using it but felt great!
The senior guys there have asked a few times about wether I want to join one of there teams so think I will go for it for the winter leagues.

Last edited:
Reactions: ttmonster
This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Feb 2018
Read 2 reviews
And btw - the noise of the new balls I'm still getting used too - they just sound cracked to me :)

Not all balls sound like that. The Donic P40 sounds like it's about to break on every impact but other balls like the DHS D40+ sounds quite "celluloid-like".

This user has no status.
This user has no status.
Dec 2010
glad we could help ..

So bit of an update - after playing over the weekend.

I bought a pair of Mizuno wave medals that I got for good price. Nice and light and supportive - so perfect thanks guys.

For the rubbers, being as I haven't had chance to try much I didn't really want to pay £30/40 a side and possibly get something I didn't like. So I cleaned up my old Butterfly Primorac OFF- (
It's an old model with a metal Butterfly logo tag) and added some Chinese rubbers. 729/Friendship II battle on my FH and Yinhe Moon Max on my BH.
I love it. Only had a couple of hours using it but felt great!
The senior guys there have asked a few times about wether I want to join one of there teams so think I will go for it for the winter leagues.